Cowboys Cuts

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, Ratliff misses at least the first 6 games. Awesome.

Cotton

Staff member
Ratliff to PUP... that means he's out till week 6?

Great.
God dammit, I really gotta start reading the whole thread before posting.

Cotton

Staff member
They put Crawford and Ryan Cook on IR.

That means we are stuck with Cook's $1M plus contract. Hopefully we reach an injury settlement with him to lessen the blow.
Nah, we will just sign him to a long backloaded contract that will hurt our future cap even more.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys release nine players
August, 27, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys released nine players, placed defensive tackle Jay Ratliff on the reserve/physically unable to perform list, making him ineligible for the first six weeks of the regular season, and moved defensive end Tyrone Crawford and guard/center Ryan Cook to injured reserve Tuesday afternoon to trim their roster to 75.

Listen Listen Quarterback Nick Stephens, wide receivers Anthony Amos, Eric Rogers and Jared Green, guard Dennis Godfrey, tight end Colin Cochart, linebacker Deon Lacey, kicker Brett Maher and cornerback Brandon Underwood were cut.

Releasing three wide receivers and Stephens were the biggest surprises prior to the final preseason game on Thursday against the Houston Texans. The Cowboys will go into Thursday's preseason finale with Alex Tanney as the only quarterback who will play against the Texans.

Traditionally, the starters don't play in the final preseason game, but with three quarterbacks on the roster, expect backup Kyle Orton to be available to play in case Tanney gets hurt during the game.

At the start of training camp, the Cowboys had 11 receivers on the roster. With the expectations that starters Miles Austin and Dez Bryant won't play on Thursday, the Cowboys will have at least six receivers active for the game and it's undetermined how much Cole Beasley will play. He just returned to the practice field this week after missing last week with a sore knee.

The next cut-down date for the Cowboys is Saturday where they have to trim the roster to 53.

Cotton

Staff member
With Tanney decision perhaps necessary, Stephen Jones downplays loss of Matt Moore six years ago

The Cowboys lost a gamble with Matt Moore six years ago when they cut him with the idea of re-signing him to the practice squad, only to have Carolina claim him the next day.

So executive vice president Stephen Jones was asked Tuesday if the organization learned a lesson from the experience, considering they may face a similar decision with Alex Tanney.

“With all due respect to Matt Moore, I don’t know if we let anything get out of here that is going to win us playoff games,” Jones said. “Anyway, I just hadn’t seen that we let something get out of here that was something we needed to have. He went on to be a roster player and made some starts. I don’t know necessarily, though, if it would have made a difference in our plight.”

Moore, 28, is 13-12 in 25 starts with the Panthers and Miami. He threw for 2,497 yards, 16 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 12 starts with the Dolphins in 2011, going 6-6. He is the backup right now to Ryan Tannehill.

The Cowboys cut Nick Stephens on Tuesday, leaving three quarterbacks on the roster. Coach Jason Garrett has said the Cowboys would like to have a developmental quarterback along with starter Tony Romo and backup Kyle Orton.

-- Carlos Mendez

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's an idiotic take from Stephen considering what we are paying Kyle Orton to be a backup here.

That being said, I'm not gonna let the ghost of Matt Moore scare me into keeping Tanney.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
“With all due respect to Matt Moore, I don’t know if we let anything get out of here that is going to win us playoff games,” Jones said. “Anyway, I just hadn’t seen that we let something get out of here that was something we needed to have. He went on to be a roster player and made some starts. I don’t know necessarily, though, if it would have made a difference in our plight.”
Brad Johnson started 3 freaking games for us the next year and another win would have gotten us into the playoffs. FUCK YOU GOOF SON!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
With Tanney decision perhaps necessary, Stephen Jones downplays loss of Matt Moore six years ago

The Cowboys lost a gamble with Matt Moore six years ago when they cut him with the idea of re-signing him to the practice squad, only to have Carolina claim him the next day.

So executive vice president Stephen Jones was asked Tuesday if the organization learned a lesson from the experience, considering they may face a similar decision with Alex Tanney.

Moore, 28, is 13-12 in 25 starts with the Panthers and Miami. He threw for 2,497 yards, 16 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 12 starts with the Dolphins in 2011, going 6-6. He is the backup right now to Ryan Tannehill.

The Cowboys cut Nick Stephens on Tuesday, leaving three quarterbacks on the roster. Coach Jason Garrett has said the Cowboys would like to have a developmental quarterback along with starter Tony Romo and backup Kyle Orton.

-- Carlos Mendez
In other words...

Give it up, Tanney fans.

Signed,
Goof Son

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Are you really surprised about Stephens?
It's surprising that he was cut in this round of cuts, not that he would've eventually been cut. It's surprising he was cut before final cutdowns simply because that means Tanney will likely have to play the entire final game. It also means if Tanney gets hurt they'll have to risk playing Orton.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's an idiotic take from Stephen considering what we are paying Kyle Orton to be a backup here.

That being said, I'm not gonna let the ghost of Matt Moore scare me into keeping Tanney.
I think Stephen was saying the same thing you said in your last sentence. And it's right.

Lotuseater

Banned
I think Stephen was saying the same thing you said in your last sentence. And it's right.
That's easy to say when the ghost of Matt Moore is a better QB than the non-ethereal one.........

Lotuseater

Banned
Seriously. What?
Meaning he's one of those that everyone thinks we should have kept. "We shouldn't have let Moore go" yada yada yada.....when he wasn't very good anyway.

Tanny will be better than Moore.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Meaning he's one of those that everyone thinks we should have kept. "We shouldn't have let Moore go" yada yada yada.....when he wasn't very good anyway.

Tanny will be better than Moore.
The point is Moore would have made a perfect backup QB and the millions spent on Johnson, Kitna, and Orton could have helped solidify other parts of the team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Anthony Armstrong has been cut but may return in week 2 per Watkins.

Top Bottom