Cowboys Cuts to 53

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Underwhelming claims but both guys cut I am willing to say good bye to without any hangups.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Been out all day, but what? We cut Dan Bailey?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The roster churn continues as the Cowboys are reportedly going to make another move on their 53-man roster. Injured receiver Noah Brown surprisingly made the roster after spending most of the offseason with a hamstring problem, but it looks like he won’t be staying on it. Clarence Hill, Jr. reports that the Cowboys will move him to IR and bring back a familiar name.

The Cowboys plan to move receiver Noah Brown to injured reserve and re-sign Deonte Thompson, who was cut on Saturday, according to sources. Brown missed all of training camp and the preseason with a hamstring injury.

Many observers thought that Thompson would make the initial 53-man roster, especially since Brown missed so much time in training camp and preseason. It seemed as if the battle was between Thompson and Lance Lenoir, but the Cowboys decided to keep Brown with the intent of moving him to IR. Lenoir made it to the practice squad and Thompson, at least according to sources, will return to the team.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/9/2/17813592/sources-cowboys-will-move-noah-brown-to-ir-re-sign-deonte-thompson

p1_

DCC 4Life
Report: Cowboys turned down Broncos trade offer for Paxton Lynch
By: K.D. Drummond | 3 hours ago

The love affair between Jerry Jones and the collegiate prospect-version of quarterback Paxton Lynch is well known. The Dallas Cowboys tried to trade up and acquire the quarterback at the tail end of 2016’s first round. Instead, the Denver Broncos made the move to reel in the former Memphis signal caller.

Dallas lucked out, as Lynch has been a major disappointment in Denver and the Cowboys ended up taking Dak Prescott in the fourth round. Prescott has started all 32 games since and isn’t looking back.

That’s mostly because there’s zero threat behind him on the depth chart. The Cowboys have Cooper Rush and Mike White, and neither turned in inspirational training camps or preseasons. So it stands to reason Dallas could be looking to upgrade the backup position after rosters were trimmed to 53 players on Saturday.

Apparently, the Broncos thought that might be a chance to unload Lynch and his late-first round salary as they attempted to trade the QB to Dallas.

The Cowboys’ response?

Nah.

Since, the Broncos have released Lynch, placing him in the waiver process. If a team had traded for him, not only would they have had to give up draft compensation but also absorb the remaining $3 million in base salary over the next two seasons from his rookie contract.

Lynch has appeared in five games over his two seasons, starting four of them and earning a 1-3 record with four touchdowns, four interceptions and a whopping 18 sacks taken.

If a team placed a waiver claim on him, they’d still take on the contract, but without giving up anything to the Broncos. If no team claims him, then all 31 other teams are able to work on a deal with him as an unrestricted free agent.

Lynch isn’t the only high-pedigree quarterback to hit the market Sunday. The New York Giants released 2017 third-round selection Davis Webb. He is subject to the waiver process as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The roster churn continues as the Cowboys are reportedly going to make another move on their 53-man roster. Injured receiver Noah Brown surprisingly made the roster after spending most of the offseason with a hamstring problem, but it looks like he won’t be staying on it. Clarence Hill, Jr. reports that the Cowboys will move him to IR and bring back a familiar name.

The Cowboys plan to move receiver Noah Brown to injured reserve and re-sign Deonte Thompson, who was cut on Saturday, according to sources. Brown missed all of training camp and the preseason with a hamstring injury.

Many observers thought that Thompson would make the initial 53-man roster, especially since Brown missed so much time in training camp and preseason. It seemed as if the battle was between Thompson and Lance Lenoir, but the Cowboys decided to keep Brown with the intent of moving him to IR. Lenoir made it to the practice squad and Thompson, at least according to sources, will return to the team.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/9/2/17813592/sources-cowboys-will-move-noah-brown-to-ir-re-sign-deonte-thompson
Now this was in fact a money move. With a vested veteran they didn't want to guarantee his entire season's salary.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Now this was in fact a money move. With a vested veteran they didn't want to guarantee his entire season's salary.
Huh? His salary will be guaranteed if he's on the roster week one, which it looks like he will be.

I don't think this move had anything to do with money. I would bet they had an agreement with Thompson that they would bring him back as soon as they could move Brown to IR. Being a vested veteran, he wasn't subject to the waiver wire. He was automatically a FA and could sign with anybody. But with the ~wink wink~ agreement that Dallas would be bringing him back on to the active roster.

Brown had to be on the 53 if they had any hope of bringing him back off of IR later. If they had moved him to IR earlier, he wouldn't have been eligible for IR return. This doesn't mean they have to bring him back, but the option is now there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Huh? His salary will be guaranteed if he's on the roster week one, which it looks like he will be.

I don't think this move had anything to do with money. I would bet they had an agreement with Thompson that they would bring him back as soon as they could move Brown to IR.
They did not necessarily have to keep the terms of the original deal Thompson signed in free agency. The signing bonus was a sunk cost, but they probably could have gone after the remaining value of the contract, renegotiated and got him a little cheaper.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They did not necessarily have to keep the terms of the original deal Thompson signed in free agency. The signing bonus was a sunk cost, but they probably could have gone after the remaining value of the contract, renegotiated and got him a little cheaper.
Yeah, but I bet the agreement was to bring him back with his current contract intact. Or he could have signed elsewhere if they tried to get petty with him by lowering his salary. Sounds like he was getting some interest from a couple other teams.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Why is it assumed Thompson would clear waivers?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Being a vested veteran, he wasn't subject to the waiver wire. He was automatically a FA and could sign with anybody. But with the ~wink wink~ agreement that Dallas would be bringing him back on to the active roster.
I see.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas still has two spots open on the practice squad. Curious to see if they go outside to fill them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't think this move had anything to do with money. I would bet they had an agreement with Thompson that they would bring him back as soon as they could move Brown to IR. Being a vested veteran, he wasn't subject to the waiver wire. He was automatically a FA and could sign with anybody. But with the ~wink wink~ agreement that Dallas would be bringing him back on to the active roster.

Brown had to be on the 53 if they had any hope of bringing him back off of IR later. If they had moved him to IR earlier, he wouldn't have been eligible for IR return. This doesn't mean they have to bring him back, but the option is now there.
I guess I was confused on how the vested veteran thing worked. For some reason I didn't realize they had to sit out week 1.

I can't believe they cared that much about Noah Brown but clearly they did.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I guess I was confused on how the vested veteran thing worked. For some reason I didn't realize they had to sit out week 1.

I can't believe they cared that much about Noah Brown but clearly they did.
You just need to trust in the process.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dallas still has two spots open on the practice squad. Curious to see if they go outside to fill them.
Seems they wold have filled them already if from within.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life

Top Bottom