Cowboys cut Lucky Whitehead after reported arrest

dallen

Senior Tech
Looks bad to the rest of the players on the roster. You want them to take responsibility and be accountable, and then you make a rash decision like this. It doesn't set a very good example.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Again. It was him NOT letting the team know what was going on, which left them in the dark and subject to scrutiny once it came out. I'm sure he knew he had a court date coming up, considering every court I've ever known will send you written notice of the charge, and of your court date. I'd bet he figured it would just go away, considering it wasn't actually him that was arrested. Also, you can be sure it was probably one of his boys that was arrested, since he knew his social security number and birth date. It's pretty obvious that Whitehead knew about this. If he had gone to the courthouse to clear it up by proving it wasn't him that was arrested, it probably would have went away. But no... That would have been the smart thing to do. You're trying way too hard to look for stuff to cry about in regards to Garrett and the team. This isn't it.
I'd go so far as to say it must have been a family member. Same last name, knew his information, etc. Can you imagine if it was your cousin that partly got you fired from the greatest opportunity of your lifetime? Man, talk about an awkward Thanksgiving dinner.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd go so far as to say it must have been a family member. Same last name, knew his information, etc. Can you imagine if it was your cousin that partly got you fired from the greatest opportunity of your lifetime? Man, talk about an awkward Thanksgiving dinner.
Yeah. It would definitely be ass beating time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again. It was him NOT letting the team know what was going on, which left them in the dark and subject to scrutiny once it came out. I'm sure he knew he had a court date coming up, considering every court I've ever known will send you written notice of the charge, and of your court date. I'd bet he figured it would just go away, considering it wasn't actually him that was arrested. Also, you can be sure it was probably one of his boys that was arrested, since he knew his social security number and birth date. It's pretty obvious that Whitehead knew about this. If he had gone to the courthouse to clear it up by proving it wasn't him that was arrested, it probably would have went away. But no... That would have been the smart thing to do. You're trying way too hard to look for stuff to cry about in regards to Garrett and the team. This isn't it.
Yeah, hire an attorney and get it dismissed. It's not that difficult.

Cotton

Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If it was a family member, he'd better start recognizing who he can trust, just because they're family doesn't mean they won't fvck you over. My better half's family has been screwing each over/taking advantage of each other since time immemorial. One time she let her daughter use her debit card to buy some birthday party supplies and she ended up taking liberties with the card. Spent like $75 more than was needed to buy some stuff for herself. I can cite dozens of examples but I won't, let's just say that is one dysfunctional family.

Cotton

Staff member

What in the hell is this bitch on about?

vince

Not So New Member

This infuriates me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Social justice, duh.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Looks bad to the rest of the players on the roster. You want them to take responsibility and be accountable, and then you make a rash decision like this. It doesn't set a very good example.
Well, in true Cowboys fashion, we managed to fuck it up and shoot our own damn selves in the foot again.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys should be just as embarrassed as police in bungling of Lucky Whitehead situation
By Tim Cowlishaw , Staff Columnist

OXNARD, Calif. -- The way I see it, Lucky Whitehead has only two problems. He needs to find out who it is that’s walking around Virginia with his social security number. And he needs a football team.

The police in Prince William County? The Dallas Cowboys? They have problems.

What Whitehead and his agent claimed Monday afternoon after the player’s release -- that he wasn’t even in Virginia at the time of his alleged shoplifting arrest -- now appears to be true. The police have confirmed that the man they arrested had no ID but gave Lucky’s name, birthdate and social security number. Beyond that, well, I guess the police thought he looked something like Lucky and they let it go at that.

Not the worst blunder by police in this country but certainly a bad one.

And what it led to, of course, was more embarrassment for the Cowboys on the opening day of training camp. So, for once, the team acted swiftly. It was somewhat reminiscent of the Quincy Carter release here 13 years ago. Not the same in importance to the team, naturally, but all of a sudden a player is just made to disappear.

Whitehead paid the price, not for his arrest, but for Damien Wilson’s arrest and Ezekiel Elliott’s various transgressions and Nolan Carroll’s DWI arrest and the suspensions of pass rushers related to the league’s drug policy. The Cowboys were sick of being the butt of jokes and Whitehead getting popped for shoplifting was the last straw, so they brought the hammer down.

Only problem is that Whitehead didn’t tell them because -- according to police -- it wasn’t him.

Do they apologize and bring him back? Was there enough in Whitehead’s file (there’s some definite issues with his whole $20,000 ransom-for-his-dog story) to say he needed to go anyway? That hardly seems fair, given that we know it wouldn’t have happened if not for the false impression that he had been arrested in Virginia.

With the drafting of Ryan Switzer to return punts, Whitehead’s days were numbered, but those days should have been given to him in the form of training camp and preseason games.

Instead, the Cowboys wanted to step out of character and look like they’re tough on crime and that they have this nebulous “standard” that coach Jason Garrett brags about but declines to define. Whitehead had failed to live up to the standard according to Garrett.

But the ones who really failed were the team’s investigators.

“We’re gathering information and we’ll respond accordingly," Garrett said.

But the police got it wrong. Then the Cowboys got it wrong.

It’s one more reminder that when the Cowboys and Garrett brag about doing “due diligence" just as they did with Greg Hardy, they frequently don’t know what they’re doing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I read we haven't officially submitted the paperwork to cut him yet. I wonder if they decide to keep him now
That would be even weaker. Move on, take the criticism and move on.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Again. It was him NOT letting the team know what was going on, which left them in the dark and subject to scrutiny once it came out. I'm sure he knew he had a court date coming up, considering every court I've ever known will send you written notice of the charge, and of your court date. I'd bet he figured it would just go away, considering it wasn't actually him that was arrested.
How did they get his home address or phone #? Is Lucky in the white pages? A SS# will not necessarily produce a current mailing address.

Also, you can be sure it was probably one of his boys that was arrested, since he knew his social security number and birth date.
Boys? He has a posse in Virginia?

It's pretty obvious that Whitehead knew about this. If he had gone to the courthouse to clear it up by proving it wasn't him that was arrested, it probably would have went away. But no... That would have been the smart thing to do.
It's also possible that he learned about this the same time his employer did.

You're trying way too hard to look for stuff to cry about in regards to Garrett and the team. This isn't it.
I don't have to "try hard "to make them look bad. Despite an army of investigators at their disposal, they made no attempt to verify these serious charges. His agent insisted that this was a case mistaken identity, but Jerry and Red wouldn't listen. They impulsively cut an innocent man while continuing to cater to bigger assholes still on the team. Swell.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe the dog nappers leaked it to TMZ.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
um, shouldn't there be a mugshot? that alone would clear things up.
It says they even pulled the DMV photo in the Virginia database for the information provided (Lucky's information! Should be Lucky's photo!) and compared it to the man in custody. The police acted in GOOD FAITH in determining that it was the same man.

They all look alike I guess! [/racist sarcasm]

Smitty

DCC 4Life
True, how would the perp know the name, birthdate, and social for Lucky? Either someone close to/connected to him that screwed him, or someone did a real good identity theft on him.

Top Bottom