Cowboys 2018 Season Predictions

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think our depth sucks at some key spots and that has the potential to derail things pretty dramatically.

That said, I think the season will come down to how much Dak can improve. My guess is he'll improve a little but not as much as a lot of us would like.

7-9.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I think the defensive will be really good this year. Too bad we didn't have this defensive unit back in 2014 or 2016.
The defensive should be better this year. The defense should be too. :tippytoe

I don't know, best case scenario 10-6, worst case, 8-8.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think our depth sucks at some key spots and that has the potential to derail things pretty dramatically.

That said, I think the season will come down to how much Dak can improve. My guess is he'll improve a little but not as much as a lot of us would like.

7-9.
I think this is a fairly realistic prediction about Dak. The season is riding on him and I hope he can deliver but I good season and one mediocre season equals a big question mark.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't get why people are so down on the team. They were 9-7 last year (even if the last win didn't matter), and the offense shouldn't be much -- if any -- worse without Dez and Witten while the defense should be better.

I don't see where 6-10 type predictions are coming from unless Adrian Clayborn ruined Dak forever.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't get why people are so down on the team. They were 9-7 last year (even if the last win didn't matter), and the offense shouldn't be much -- if any -- worse without Dez and Witten while the defense should be better.

I don't see where 6-10 type predictions are coming from unless Adrian Clayborn ruined Dak forever.
Agreed. I'm seeing 10-6 this year. But, a couple of injuries could drop us to 8-8.

Genghis Khan

The disconnect is, "the offense shouldn't be much -- if any -- worse without Dez and Witten".

I definitely am not convinced of this.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

similar to my prediction at DCU:

10-6

We went 9-7 last year despite Zeke missing six games and Sean Lee missing some as well. Now we have reinforcements at LB and Zeke for the whole year. Assuming Frederick plays eight or more games and we're not slaughtered by injuries, 10-6 is within reach.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The disconnect is, "the offense shouldn't be much -- if any -- worse without Dez and Witten".

I definitely am not convinced of this.
The flip side of that is, we get a focused Zeke all year instead of the guy who was just going through the motions while he was here last year.

Genghis Khan

The flip side of that is, we get a focused Zeke all year instead of the guy who was just going through the motions while he was here last year.
That's definitely true.

But I'm not sure if helps enough in the passing game.

Having no TE1 or WR1 are big holes and I'm not sure we have anyone capable of stepping up or a QB capable of elevating mediocre players (like Romo did with Laurent Robinson for example).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's definitely true.

But I'm not sure if helps enough in the passing game.

Having no TE1 or WR1 are big holes and I'm not sure we have anyone capable of stepping up or a QB capable of elevating mediocre players (like Romo did with Laurent Robinson for example).
If Dez played like a WR1 I'd get it.

Now Witten that's starting to look a real loss. You can see the massive drop off so far with these TEs. We really missed an opportunity there to upgrade the TE spot. Instead we stuck with a bunch of backups.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If Dez played like a WR1 I'd get it.

Now Witten that's starting to look a real loss. You can see the massive drop off so far with these TEs. We really missed an opportunity there to upgrade the TE spot. Instead we stuck with a bunch of backups.
What opportunity did we really miss on? I get that our TEs are weak, but who did we have an opportunity to bring in? The draft didn't fall for us. So there was somebody we missed on in free agency?

Not arguing just to argue. I honestly don't remember who was out there in free agency this year that we should have brought in. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Jimmy Graham, and we all know that wasn't ever happening.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Trey Burton was intriguing, but of course he signed with Chicago well before Witten's announcement.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What opportunity did we really miss on? I get that our TEs are weak, but who did we have an opportunity to bring in? The draft didn't fall for us. So there was somebody we missed on in free agency?

Not arguing just to argue. I honestly don't remember who was out there in free agency this year that we should have brought in. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Jimmy Graham, and we all know that wasn't ever happening.
I was referring to the opportunity to get more explosive at TE. Wasn't necessarily referencing a particular player.

I think there were better options in the draft. Although Dallas Goedert hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. And maybe none of these rookie TEs would. But I liked some guys like Ian Thomas. As far as free agency I can't think of anyone I loved. Tyler Eifert is great when healthy but he is basically never healthy. Anyway, I think it's a position we could use to really improve the passing game. Even over what Witten was doing for us the last couple years.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I was referring to the opportunity to get more explosive at TE. Wasn't necessarily referencing a particular player.

I think there were better options in the draft. Although Dallas Goedert hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. And maybe none of these rookie TEs would. But I liked some guys like Ian Thomas. As far as free agency I can't think of anyone I loved. Tyler Eifert is great when healthy but he is basically never healthy. Anyway, I think it's a position we could use to really improve the passing game. Even over what Witten was doing for us the last couple years.
So, the question is still there. What opportunity? I don't recall this opportunity that we supposedly missed.

Like I said, the draft didn't work out for us. Hayden Hurst was the only TE taken in the first round. I certainly wasn't interested in using a first round pick on him. Mike Gesicki was taken before us in the 2nd, and we all know the eagles jumped in front of us for Goedert. After him, there was nobody else I was interested in taking in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd, I guess we could have went with Mark Andrews or Ian Thomas, but honestly, I would still have rather went with Gallup there. That brings the 4th round, and hey. We took a TE there. So, like I said. The draft didn't really fall for us to take a TE that would heal our ills there. After Andrews and Thomas went, the cupboard was pretty bare.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, the question is still there. What opportunity? I don't recall this opportunity that we supposedly missed.

Like I said, the draft didn't work out for us. Hayden Hurst was the only TE taken in the first round. I certainly wasn't interested in using a first round pick on him. Mike Gesicki was taken before us in the 2nd, and we all know the eagles jumped in front of us for Goedert. After him, there was nobody else I was interested in taking in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd, I guess we could have went with Mark Andrews or Ian Thomas, but honestly, I would still have rather went with Gallup there. That brings the 4th round, and hey. We took a TE there. So, like I said. The draft didn't really fall for us to take a TE that would heal our ills there. After Andrews and Thomas went, the cupboard was pretty bare.
I would have traded up for Ian Thomas. Although that likely costs us Armstrong who I really like. And probably White and more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also wouldn't have minded someone like Austin Seferian-Jenkins in free agency either.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Late to yhe party, but I'm saying 9-7..10-6 tops. Our WR's and TE's don't scare anyone. And unless someone steps up it's gonna be tough scoring against good defenses. Zeke can't do it by himself.
I'm pumped about our defense. Been a long time since I've felt this good about them. Richard has already made a big difference.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going 11-5. Defense and a running game are a perfect combination and they carry the team. Dak spreads the ball around and runs when needed to keep the chains moving. Maybe not the most exciting team but gets the job done for wins.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Been quite a bit of take about Dad's deep throw. Not sure how much I his fault and how much was Dez not getting separation

Top Bottom