Cowboys’ free agency approach has been drastically altered by past blunders and it needs revisiting

p1_

DCC 4Life
In the last 10 offseasons, the Cowboys have signed 37 free agents. None signed a contract worth more than $18.3 million.

By Jean-Jacques Taylor

10:43 AM on Apr 11, 2022

The last time the Cowboys spent big money in free agency, they gave cornerback Brandon Carr $50 million over five years in 2012.

The front office thought Carr would develop into a star.

Instead, he was a solid player who never missed a game and intercepted seven passes in five years; Trevon Diggs intercepted 11 last season.

Carr, it seems, is the reason the Cowboys swore off free agency as a way to infuse the roster with elite talent.

It’s a dumb approach that needs revisiting.

In the last 10 offseasons, the Cowboys have signed 37 free agents. None signed a contract worth more than $18.3 million.

Just so you know, 52 players currently have contracts that average $18 million per year.

The Cowboys signed Cedric Thornton to a four-year, $18.3 million deal In 2016. He was a poor scheme fit, who contributed 22 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Two year later, he was out of the league.

Then there’s Gerald McCoy, who signed a three-year, $18 million deal in 2020 and ruptured his quadriceps in training camp and never played a game.

They signed the infamous Greg Hardy, who was on the commissioner’s exempt list for 15 games in 2014, to an incentive-laden deal worth $13 million in 2015. He finished with six sacks and only earned about $2.6 million in 12 games.

That was his last NFL season.

As former coach Bill Parcells used to say, confidence is born from demonstrated ability. The Cowboys have fared poorly in free agency on big-ticket items so they shy away from participating in free agency at its highest level.

It’s an interesting approach because when Dallas re-signs its own players such as Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper and DeMarcus Lawrence to big-money deals and they don’t produce at the expected level, the Cowboys don’t stop paying their own guys.

Exhibit A: Michael Gallup and Jayron Kearse re-signed with Dallas this offseason and they tried to re-sign Randy Gregory.

The Cowboys have a flawed approach to free agency, and until it changes they’re going to struggle with consistency.

No team drafts well enough to fill all of its holes without a big-time free-agent acquisition here and there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s an interesting approach because when Dallas re-signs its own players such as Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper and DeMarcus Lawrence to big-money deals and they don’t produce at the expected level, the Cowboys don’t stop paying their own guys.
This is exactly right. Mistakes will be made when it comes to paying players. But Brandon Carr was a way better deal then Jaylon Smith for example. Or Zeke. So why the hell does that contract scare us? He was at least a very good starter.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The hilarious thing is that Carr was actually a very solid starter for us, and continued to be a solid starter in the league for several years. We overpaid him but not by a significant amount.

The real issue with the defenses back in 2013, 2014, etc. was that there was just a general lack of talent overall, not because Carr was a horrific overpay.

And the real overarching issue is that Stephen does not seem capable of high-level critical thought when it comes to building and evaluating NFL rosters, so he almost certainly forgets the lack of overall talent during that era and remembers that Carr was a relative disappointment.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

To be fair, they are 90-71 in the past decade. They need to do what it takes to get over the hump, but they aren't on the wrong path.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Cards flushed a top 10 pick (Rosen) down the drain and got right back on the horse. Meanwhile, we're still paralyzed by Brandon Carr.

AAron_Burr8

LoL Troll
Prescott got market and it will look minor in five years.

I agree on the others.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLs ... it's literally the reason the team is getting significantly worse. No it will never look better bc Dak will still be mediocre and likely have 1 playoff win

Just bc other teams will do something dumb does not make it a good thing to do ...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLs ... it's literally the reason the team is getting significantly worse. No it will never look better bc Dak will still be mediocre and likely have 1 playoff win

Just bc other teams will do something dumb does not make it a good thing to do ...
So what would you have done? Roll with a scrub like Dalton? Draft?

AAron_Burr8

LoL Troll
3 decades of the salary cap show very well it's better to move on, draft or go cheap is a better option than paying mediocre 15% + of the salary cap.

Only Brady and Stafford have won SBs while eating up that much of their teams cap

That makes the decision very easy and obvious to anyone with a brain

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Prescott got market and it will look minor in five years.

I agree on the others.
Hell, 2 years ago everyone's jaws were on the floor when Mahomes' contract was announced. Now he's something like the 4th highest paid QB.

1bigfan13

Staff member
To be fair, they are 90-71 in the past decade. They need to do what it takes to get over the hump, but they aren't on the wrong path.
They're not completely wrong. But there's obviously a cap on the amount of success you can have operating the way they're operating.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hell, 2 years ago everyone's jaws were on the floor when Mahomes' contract was announced. Now he's something like the 4th highest paid QB.
Yeah, his was an odd deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess being the Redskins sounds better. But honestly I'll save thr Dak debates for another day from me. The draft is around the corner. All I know is I want to make this offense at least as good as last year. Right now we aren't even close to as good. Dak is our QB for at least next season. I'll talk about it later.

1bigfan13

Staff member
3 decades of the salary cap show very well it's better to move on, draft or go cheap is a better option than paying mediocre 15% + of the salary cap.

Only Brady and Stafford have won SBs while eating up that much of their teams cap

That makes the decision very easy and obvious to anyone with a brain
The problem with your philosophy is Jerry & Stephen Jones don't know shit about acquiring franchise QBs.

Since Aikman retired all of their top QB choices have been train wrecks.

They lucked into Romo and had to "settle" on Dak.. If not for some outstanding luck they'd have walked out of the 2016 draft with Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.

So no thanks, I don't want the Joneses leading the search for a new franchise QB. Because history has shown that the QBs they covet are the Quincy Carter/Paxton Lynch/Drew Hensons of the world.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am no Prescott fan, but I cannot help but still feel good fortune if he can really kick it into high gear.

Now if he doesn't get over this pussy of a past season, then all bets are off.

He could be a victim of the Oikos curse.

AAron_Burr8

LoL Troll
I guess being the Redskins sounds better. But honestly I'll save thr Dak debates for another day from me. The draft is around the corner. All I know is I want to make this offense at least as good as last year. Right now we aren't even close to as good. Dak is our QB for at least next season. I'll talk about it later.
You are not going to get an elite top 5 in the NFL route runner at 24 so this offense will not be as good. This offense will look more like it did in 2018 than in 2021 ...

Oh and that is literally bc of Dak's contract lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The problem with your philosophy is Jerry & Stephen Jones don't know shit about acquiring franchise QBs.

Since Aikman retired all of their top QB choices have been train wrecks.

They lucked into Romo and had to "settle" on Dak.. If not for some outstanding luck they'd have walked out of the 2016 draft with Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.

So no thanks, I don't want the Joneses leading the search for a new franchise QB. Because history has shown that the QBs they covet are the Quincy Carter/Paxton Lynch/Drew Hensons of the world.
In other words, they tripped over their own dicks with Romo and Prescott and then sprung up and proclaimed they meant to do that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Oh and that is literally bc of Dak's contract lol
No, it is not. The QB in this league carries a price tag.

Or, you freak out each April and trade up for some QB who won't be in the league in five years.

The fact is, we fumbled his contract negotiations from the beginning.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yeah, his was an odd deal.
I have to look at how his is structured because if it's just the standard contract I could see him pushing to redo his deal a few years from now.

Top Bottom