Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Really wanted to see both Delpit and Chaisson work out. I find it pretty ridiculous that almost 2 months after the season ended Delpit is still nursing whatever injury he's supposedly had since October that people have been using to excuse some of his tackling.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Really wanted to see both Delpit and Chaisson work out. I find it pretty ridiculous that almost 2 months after the season ended Delpit is still nursing whatever injury he's supposedly had since October that people have been using to excuse some of his tackling.
I think it's just part of a continuing trend where fewer and fewer of the guys who are viewed as 1st round locks choose to actually work out at the combine.

Honestly I can't blame them for wanting to wait until their pro days where they can control the atmosphere and work with guys who they're familiar with.

The combine seems like it trending towards simply being a tool primarily for those players with 2nd round or later grades.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think it's just part of a continuing trend where fewer and fewer of guys who are viewed as 1st round locks, choose to actually work out at the combine.

Honestly I can't blame them for wanting to wait until their pro days where they can control the atmosphere and work with guys who they're familiar with.

The combine seems like it trending towards simply being a tool primarily for those players with 2nd round or later grades.
Delpit isn't exactly a first round lock right now though. If he's healthy not working out is idiotic as it could cost him at least 5-10 slots, which correlates to at least a few million.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't like that guys opt out of throwing at the combine. You've been throwing a football your whole life. Go out there and compete. But Burrow is going #1 and it doesn't matter to his stock so in the end it doesn't matter.

But if you're evaluating a player you want to see how the guy can do when thrown into a situation. Pro days and choreographed shit are a waste of time. Plus everyone miraculously runs better at their pro days.

Cotton

Staff member
I think it's just part of a continuing trend where fewer and fewer of guys who are viewed as 1st round locks, choose to actually work out at the combine.

The Combine is evolving into more of an interview and measurables type animal. I think before too long the physical "events" will not be looked on as valuable as they once were.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Combine is evolving into more of an interview and measurables type animal. I think before too long the physical "events" will not be looked on as valuable as they once were.
I heard they're already kicking around the idea of changing up the events because the events have either been deemed out-dated or unnecessary.

Cotton

Staff member
Feldman: Ten players whose performances could be the talk of the NFL Combine

By Bruce Feldman 2h ago

INDIANAPOLIS — This week’s NFL combine is annually the biggest freak show in football. All sorts of big, fast athletes get their chance to back up their college hype. Here are predictions for the 10 guys most likely to wow folks in the timing and test portion of the process.

1. Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama
There are a bunch of guys here who are better combinations of large size and shocking speed, but the fastest guy almost always draws all the eyeballs, and the 5-11, 188-pound Ruggs will do so when he toes up to the 40. He can absolutely fly, leaving scouts with their chins on the rug when they watch film of his takeoff.

Last offseason, Ruggs wowed NFL scouts who had him in the mid 4.2s when they timed him in the 40. Don’t be surprised if he beats John Ross’s 4.22 record here. Ruggs has that kind of burst in him.

2. Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma
Around the Sooners’ program, the Canadian import is considered an even bigger freak than blazing fast LB Kenneth Murray. The 300-pound Gallimore bench presses 500 pounds and squats 800. He cleans 405, but it was his 40 time last year that left people shaking their heads, running a 4.76. Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley said he wouldn’t have believed that time had he not witnessed it with his own eyes.

3. Tristan Wirfs, OL, Iowa
Our No. 1 Freak last summer, the 6-5, 320-pound Wirfs set an Iowa record in the power clean by powering out four reps at 450 pounds. He is an absolute beast in the weight room, and it does carry over to the field. The former state champion wrestler also vertical jumped 35 inches last offseason, which would have been the second-highest jump by an O-lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine in the past seven years. He’s also gone 9-5 feet in the broad jump.

4. James Smith-Williams, DE, NC State
This is the latest in the Pack’s pipeline of well-developed D-linemen. Smith-Williams arrived five years ago weighing a wiry 196 pounds. He’s a hulking 265. From his pre-combine workouts, we’re hearing he may run his 40 in the low 4.5s, broad jump more 10-feet and vertical at least 37 inches. His 20-yard shuttle is expected to be in the 4.2s

5. Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
One of the best players in this draft, the 6-4, 230-pound linebacker moves like a wideout. A fast one. Folks who have worked with him expect him to hit at least 40 inches in the vertical and broad jump 11 feet. He also has a good chance to run the 40 in the 4.4s.

6. Sewo Olonilua, RB, TCU
He’s a huge back who is very versatile and a really intriguing talent. Last spring, he had a workout for pro scouts and clocked a 4.47 while weighing 238 pounds. He also has benched 470 and cleaned 475. In addition, he vertical jumps 40 inches. Olonilua is down to 232, so don’t be surprised if he clocks in the 4.4s and tops the 40-inch mark on the vert and puts up more reps on the bench than many O-linemen.

7. Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
The 6-1, 220-pounder, a late bloomer from Atlanta, blew up in the past 18 months on the NFL scouting circuit and is the rare non-FBS guy to make our Freaks list. Scouting sources told me he’s run a verified 4.41 40 and also vertical jumped 40 inches and broad jumped 11 feet. More impressively, Joel Taylor, one of his old college coaches who also coached 2018 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Darius Leonard in college, says Dugger is a better-skilled athlete in open space and is more explosive.

8. Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU
I asked some NFL scouts this week, if Ruggs isn’t the fastest guy in Indy, who else would you guess? Reagor’s name came up a few times. Last offseason at 195 pounds, he clocked a blazing 4.29 40. Reagor measured in at 206 pounds, but I’m told he’s still likely to run as fast as the low 4.3s. He’s also super strong for a wideout, so his bench numbers probably will look like that of a linebacker.

9. Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State
Scouts love everything about this kid. The former five-star prospect from Texas has ideal size for a corner at 6-1, 200 pounds, but I’m told he could stun some people with how fast he runs here. One NFL scout told me he thinks Okudah’s 40 time will be in the low 4.3s.

10. LeVante Bellamy, RB, Western Michigan
Here’s my sleeper pick to crack the 4.2s in the 40, and he’s also a hometown guy. The 5-9, 192-pounder was the MAC Offensive Player of the Year in 2019, vertical jumped 41.5 inches last season and also ran a laser-timed 4.28 40, according to Broncos coaches.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom