College Basketball Chatter...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Whoa, that dude has on a ProPetro hat. CSB time!

We went to Arlington for the opening college baseball tournament that was held this year at Globe Life Park. This guy and his wife walked up because he was being seated at the table next to us. He introduced himself as Dale Redman. We continued our conversation and turns out he was the dad of former TTU catcher, Hunter Redman. He also told me that his son, Michael Davis (former TTU pitcher) and Tanner Gardner (former TTU outfielder) would be joining them. I was able to meet them all which was really cool.

Turns out Dale was the former CEO of ProPetrol (I had to do some google stalking later). I just wonder how close this big dog was to the dude wearing the ProPetrol hat in that picture, and how close he might have been to Beard. I know he has huge ties to Tech because as we talked he told me about conversations he had with Dr. Mitchell (our chancellor) and Schovanek (our president). It was a little unnerving that I rubbed elbows with someone that important.

/CSB
Beard had a lot of money wrapped around his finger because he sold the fact that he was a lifer. Over 50 million invested in his vision recently. Beard was the president of the Hub/mayor. What is hilarious is that UT has already insisted that they select some of his staff. Things are going to be very very different at UT with empty stadiums and a city that doesn't give 2 shits about him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Beard had a lot of money wrapped around his finger because he sold the fact that he was a lifer. Over 50 million invested in his vision recently. Beard was the president of the Hub/mayor. What is hilarious is that UT has already insisted that they select some of his staff. Things are going to be very very different at UT with empty stadiums and a city that doesn't give 2 shits about him.
Exactly my point in my previous post in this thread. He could have been a god at Tech with the culture that was built. He will not find near that enthusiasm at UT. Those pieces of shit will spit him out if they don't get instant gratification. It's going to be glorious watching him burn. Fucking lying ass fraud.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The more and more I think about it, Beard really screwed himself here. He could have been a legend at Tech. Those self-entitled fucksticks at UT will bore of him quickly if he doesn't produce almost immediately.
Absolutely. The leash has been shortened considerably. I'm actually surprised Shaka Smart lasted as long as he did. And speaking of Smart, one of the things a CBB insider mentioned the other day is that Smart really didn't get a chance to bring in players who were 100% his guys. The insider said Smart has always preferred guys who are scrappy and play with a chip on their shoulder. Basically those with an underdog mentality. But at Texas you're expected to bring in a certain caliber of athlete (the 4-star type) and those athletes probably don't check those boxes.

I'm not sure if that's true since I don't follow UT basketball that closely but it's something to watch for going forward with Beard. It wouldn't surprise me if it's true because Univ. of Texas athletes have a reputation of being a bit soft and privileged.

Cotton

Staff member
Absolutely. The leash has been shortened considerably. I'm actually surprised Shaka Smart lasted as long as he did. And speaking of Smart, one of the things a CBB insider mentioned the other day is that Smart really didn't get a chance to bring in players who were 100% his guys. The insider said Smart has always preferred guys who are scrappy and play with a chip on their shoulder. Basically those with an underdog mentality. But at Texas you're expected to bring in a certain caliber of athlete (the 4-star type) and those athletes probably don't check those boxes.

I'm not sure if that's true since I don't follow UT basketball that closely but it's something to watch for going forward with Beard. It wouldn't surprise me if it's true because Univ. of Texas athletes have a reputation of being a bit soft and privileged.
UT as a whole has a history of self-proclaimed privilege. I hate that school and its fans. Like fire of a thousand suns hate. There is not a single other university in this country I hate as bad as I hate UT. Not A&M. Not Oklahoma. None of them. These mf'ers got the Big 12 to make the Horns down a penalty, ffs. God damn, I hate that school.

Cotton

Staff member
Beard had it so well at Tech. He was given basically every single thing he wanted. Hell, they built a practice facility that just now opened just for him. He was offered food and beer for life from many restaurants here in town. He had it all. And, left it for a fuckstick university that will spit him out just as soon as that luster wears off.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

I'm hoping for Mark Adams. He is a Tech alum and coached under Beard the whole time he was here. He is considered one of the best assistants in the country. If he can have some success, he would never leave.

Cotton

Staff member

Let's see how Beard does without his main defensive assistant.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Tech’s basketball job is a good job now. Top 5 facilities and fans. Keys to the city. Beard had a top 5 salary.

maybe we should cancel football and just be a basketball school. 1617381888685.png

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Tech’s basketball job is a good job now. Top 5 facilities and fans. Keys to the city. Beard had a top 5 salary.

maybe we should cancel football and just be a basketball school. View attachment 691259
Basketball, Baseball, and Track and Field.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
UT as a whole has a history of self-proclaimed privilege.
they're the Dallas Cowboys of the NCAA, arrogant enough to believe they should win it all every year but never do jack shit despite the mountains of money and ability to recruit

Cotton

Staff member
they're the Dallas Cowboys of the NCAA, arrogant enough to believe they should win it all every year but never do jack shit despite the mountains of money and ability to recruit
Yep, and I can understand why some people hate the Cowboys so much.

Cotton

Staff member
So, TTU went with Mark Adams as their next HC. I am happy with this move. He is the architect of that defense and that defense was a huge part of the success we saw. I hope he brings in a good offensive minded assistant.

As soon as they announced the hire. Kyler Edwards (who already said he was leaving) immediately reversed course and said he was staying. 3 other players that were on the fence also tweeted out that they weren't going anywhere.

It's a good hire.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Baylor was locked in and was very impressive and flat out dominating in both Final Four games.

I've been saying for weeks that Baylor was clearly better than Gonzaga. When I saw that Gonzaga was favored in the game and all the experts were leaning Gonzaga as well, I was thinking, "what am I missing here". Because from my perspective, Baylor's skill, quickness, and athleticism has always leaped off the screen at me a lot more than Gonzaga's. And it showed last night in the first minute of the game.

Baylor's double-digit win is exactly what I expected.

Cotton

Staff member
Baylor was locked in and was very impressive and flat out dominating in both Final Four games.

I've been saying for weeks that Baylor was clearly better than Gonzaga. When I saw that Gonzaga was favored in the game and all the experts were leaning Gonzaga as well, I was thinking, "what am I missing here". Because from my perspective, Baylor's skill, quickness, and athleticism has always leaped off the screen at me a lot more than Gonzaga's. And it showed last night in the first minute of the game.

Baylor's double-digit win is exactly what I expected.
I also fully expected Baylor to win. The only reason I can think of for someone to think it was going to be Gonzaga was their undefeated record. Baylor has dominated teams all year long. But, towards the end, they were unstoppable.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I also fully expected Baylor to win. The only reason I can think of for someone to think it was going to be Gonzaga was their undefeated record. Baylor has dominated teams all year long. But, towards the end, they were unstoppable.
Gonzaga's a very good team but I thought it was pretty evident that there was a gap between them and Baylor. I was just surprised that so many basketball experts didn't pick up on it. When both teams play their A game, Baylor's A game is a lot better than Gonzaga's A game.

Top Bottom