Christians in Pakistan Killed

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Right. Society didn't allow women in the workplace or decide it was a bad idea to burn people for the imaginary crime of witchcraft, it was a mandate from the lord.
I think I admitted that certain things have changed over time. You want to expand that into a statement that all religious views are socially shaped, which is not true.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Obviously those who burned people at the stake were not authentic believers. That doesn't even make sense.
No, I don't agree.

They might have been incorrect in their interpretations, but there were plenty of people who honestly believed it when they did stuff like that.

There are also tons of people who used those things without believing and only did it for personal gain as well, so there is a difference, but, for example, I think the Puritans really did believe that they were doing God's work by drowning witches.

Again, you make it seem like you DGAS what happens. Oh well, that's just the way things evolve.
I'm resigned to the inevitable. Maybe that means I'm not passionate enough but there is even less you can do about this than you can about, say, forcing Jerry to change his ways. All you need to change Jerry is a couple thousand people.

Societies have become less extremist as they develop economically, that is a tried and true historical fact. I'm not even sure it's entirely a bad thing, as it's ended up with benefits such as better treatment for women and minorities over time. On some things, I remain very traditional -- such as yes, I think it's better if the man works and the woman raises children. At the same time, I think it's good that women should be allowed to vote. Both of those things are a direct result of the industrial revolution.

In the end, I'm gonna run my house the way I think it needs to be run. But as for changing societal attitudes, its like trying to stop the tide from coming in.

The Muslim terrorists are fighting a losing battle too, and they are doing a hell of a lot more than I'm prepared to do.

Heres the deal: I encourage anyone who is a believer to really live there lives like Christ taught. Not how our preacher/priest, foxnews or grandma told you. If yoy do that our life will chane and you won't have to try to make an impact in our sphere of influence. It will simply be a byproduct of genuine faith. That's what I've been preachin for the almost 10 years that I've been at the DCC an everywhere else.
Good, I encourage that.

superpunk

Banned
I think I admitted that certain things have changed over time. You want to expand that into a statement that all religious views are socially shaped, which is not true.
Then you have no legitimate concept of how religions get started. Protip: Your holy books didn't fall out of the sky.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Hey super punk, FYI, when you signed up here there was a resounding eye roll from the masses. That is because you have done nothing to endear people to yourself. You've also been run off from everywhere else, so how bout you give an effort to at least have a redeeming quality or two? If not your time here will be short as well.

This is probably the best place for anyone with loud personalities and strong opnions. If you spend all of your time insulting folks life is gonna be tough. Just about everyone will accept you, no matter your views, if you just try to be human occasionally.

If you are thinking of giving me the tough guy act by saying that you don't care, well, you've already failed. This is generally a place where guys hang out and shoot the breeze. We have a good dust up here and there but most of the real
jerks have been banned over the years.

Hawkeye

Brand New Member
Regarding trolls

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Islam is such a threat that they haven't even come really all that close to hitting us since 2001. Not at home, anyway. Which is all I really care about, as a Libertarian.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
EZ clearly didn't read the thread.

This is not about military force.

K bye

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
superpunk has somehow never entered my forum radar. I don't peruse forums other than this though, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. But I don't really have a problem with anything he's saying. Maybe you could argue the way he's saying it is offbase, but I agree with most of what he says.

As to VA saying that science is bunk because they often prove themselves wrong... Wow, imagine that. A train of thought that is able to evolve and admit when it was wrong. Someone who had the time and energy could probably show how most religions have been proven wrong on certain things. That guy ain't me, but I'm sure it could be done.

It's the great cop out though, usually from both sides. "you can't prove otherwise!!!"

Except with science, people are trying everyday to prove otherwise for the sake of a higher understanding. You guys are just good with "Fuck it, Lot's wife turned into salt and you bitches can't prove she didn't. BOOM."

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I will say one thing about the religious dudes... one thing they definitely have going for them.

I was at youth camp one time when I was young and indoctrinated. A guy on stage was talking about religion and how who cares if he's right or wrong because "If I'm wrong, big deal. I rot in the ground. If I'm right though... woooooooohoooooooooo."

Now I'm not intending to be facetious here, but that's a really nice thing to be able to fall back on. As non-believers, we don't have that. But then again, we don't believe you will burn in a lake of fire for all time because you didn't believe in our theories.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
SP has a reputation of being a huge douche. He's been mild here but I would put his history in the worse than jiggy category.

I have no problem with his opinions.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I shouldn't say "our" theories.

The only theory I ever came up with was that 12 beers a day is good for your liver. I'm still trying to prove it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I shouldn't say "our" theories.

The only theory I ever came up with was that 12 beers a day is good for your liver. I'm still trying to prove it.
Whatever. Science proves that you just spoke what was really in your mind.

Lulz burnt

superpunk

Banned
I will say one thing about the religious dudes... one thing they definitely have going for them.

I was at youth camp one time when I was young and indoctrinated. A guy on stage was talking about religion and how who cares if he's right or wrong because "If I'm wrong, big deal. I rot in the ground. If I'm right though... woooooooohoooooooooo."

Now I'm not intending to be facetious here, but that's a really nice thing to be able to fall back on. As non-believers, we don't have that. But then again, we don't believe you will burn in a lake of fire for all time because you didn't believe in our theories.
I think Allah will be happier that I remained unaffiliated once it turns out the Muslims were right.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
As to VA saying that science is bunk because they often prove themselves wrong... Wow, imagine that. A train of thought that is able to evolve and admit when it was wrong. Someone who had the time and energy could probably show how most religions have been proven wrong on certain things. That guy ain't me, but I'm sure it could be done.

It's the great cop out though, usually from both sides. "you can't prove otherwise!!!"

Except with science, people are trying everyday to prove otherwise for the sake of a higher understanding. You guys are just good with "Fuck it, Lot's wife turned into salt and you bitches can't prove she didn't. BOOM."
Clearly you missed the point. Never claimed science was all bunk. However I do find it irrational for people to make firm stands based on science when there have been tons of instances where new discoveries ended up invalidating previous finds/claims. The fact it evolves and admits it was wrong should be reason enough not to blindly except every claim it makes to date.

Top Bottom