Chatter grows about Cowboys possibly pursuing Earl Thomas

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah they are high. Let them lose him a year from now for a fourth round comp pick.
That's probably what they'd get, and they wouldn't get it until two years from now.

They'd be better off taking a legit 4th from us this year, instead of a back of the round 4th two years from now.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

oh well

lostxn

DCC 4Life

oh well
Would have been fine with a 3rd.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

oh well
If true, I'm glad they didn't call back. I would rather have Gallup than Earl Thomas.

I was never interested in trading for him for anything more than a 4th.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The hawks fucked up. Now theyll get nothing and like it. Next offseason, Thomas will walk, and they got dick.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The hawks fucked up. Now theyll get nothing and like it. Next offseason, Thomas will walk, and they got dick.
I don’t think that happens. I think they’ll either trade him before the season starts or slap the franchise tag on him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Report: Cowboys remain interested in Earl Thomas

Charean Williams
ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports•Apr 29, 2018, 10:01 PM

It was presumed when the Seahawks didn’t trade safety Earl Thomas after the first two days of the draft that he would remain in Seattle next season. But not so fast. . . .

The Cowboys still have interest in a trade for Thomas, David Moore of the Dallas Morning News reports. That makes sense considering the only veteran free safety on the Cowboys’ roster is Xavier Woods, who started three games at nickel corner and one at strong safety as a rookie.

Dallas moved last season’s starting free safety, Byron Jones, to cornerback.

The Cowboys wanted to draft a free safety but used none of their 10 picks on one. They signed three undrafted college free agent safeties instead. The Cowboys don’t seem interested in Eric Reid or Kenny Vaccaro.

“Can we find a guy that can really compete with Xavier?” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said after the draft. “At the end of the day, that was the goal in the draft, and it didn’t work out that way. We’ll continue to look at options as we move forward and continue to see what happens in our roster. We do have corners that can play that position. They’ve done so before and certainly depending on how the competition works out over these OTAs and minicamps and then training camp, we’ll see how that works out. We certainly haven’t ruled out continuing to look for somebody that might step up back there and compete with Xavier for that free safety spot, although we do feel like there are players on our team, where if we wanted to move them back there, we could create a competitive situation.”

It would take the Seahawks lowering their price for the Cowboys to enter into a deal. Thomas, a native Texan who expressed his desire to play for the Cowboys when he approached Jason Garrett after the teams played in December, could go back on his word and holdout, hoping to force a trade.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A compensatory pick won't come until 2020, I say we let the offer of a 3rd stand and see what they do.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
A compensatory pick won't come until 2020, I say we let the offer of a 3rd stand and see what they do.
Meh.

I'd offer them a 4th. Maybe throw in a 6th round sweetner. A 4th rounder next year is better than the 4th, end of the round comp pick they'd get in a couple years. And that's IF it's a 4th rounder they'd get. Never know on those things.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We seem to be bidding against ourselves. I’d be in no hurry. Look what we got for a 6th.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
We seem to be bidding against ourselves. I’d be in no hurry. Look what we got for a 6th.
Which is why we offer either a 4th in 2019 and a 6th in 2020, or a 5th and a 6th in those same years as a penalty for Seattle dragging their feet.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

:picard

shut up, Jess

Smitty

DCC 4Life

shut up, Jess
How about next year's fourth?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How about next year's fourth?
I think I wait it out. They will be forced to take less with the possibility looming they could get nothing at all.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think I wait it out. They will be forced to take less with the possibility looming they could get nothing at all.
That's only true if Thomas is hell-bent on never playing another snap in Seattle and I don't think that's the case. I think he's willing to play 2018 in Seattle and go to free agency next year and there's going to be a point where Seattle says "F it" and just rolls with him for another year.

If he truly wants to force his way out then that's a different story.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

shut up, Jess
No way in hell.

Top Bottom