Chatter grows about Cowboys possibly pursuing Earl Thomas

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Anything more than a 3rd and maybe a late round sweetener seems like overpaying considering his age and recent proclivity for injury. Of course Seattle is going to ask for the moon knowing they'll be dealing with a buffoon like Jerry and he'll probably meet their demands just to show he's still a wheeler dealer.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
If they called, I'd offer a 3rd and a 7th and tell them if they don't take it, next time they call it'll be less. I've cooled a bit on this trade. I'd like it to happen but I don't want us to bend over and take it in the ass.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
yea that is absurdly expensive. id do a 2nd and a 5th max and still not be super content with it
I wouldn’t do a 2nd round pick, period. I’d offer a 4th and a 6th and that’s about it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wouldn’t do a 2nd round pick, period. I’d offer a 4th and a 6th and that’s about it.
Same. Although, I might be talked into a 3rd.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I would love to have him but not at the cost of picks or salary cap ramifications.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Seahawks only have picks 18 and 120 in the first four rounds, clearly they are desperate for picks and have no real intention of signing Thomas after this season.

A 2nd should be the absolute most we give up, although given our leverage that would be overpaying, and under no circumstances should they be giving up a 2nd and a 4th or 5th on top.

Given the Seahawks situation I think they should be happy to get our 3rd and the 4th round compensatory pick. If it were up to me that's the furthest I'd go.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerry has always (correctly) said that draft time is when picks have the most value and current players the least. So it would make sense to do it now if it were going to happen.

But we don't ever do this, do we? When was the last time we traded a pick for a notable vet player? I'm sure we've done it some but Terry Glenn is about the last one I can think of.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I wouldn't do a third either honestly.

Why wouldn't we wait a year and just sign him?

Getting him one year early isn't worth a premium pick.
Yeah unless you think this team is on the verge of winning a Superbowl this season you might as well sit and wait a year. And maybe in the mean time you'll draft someone or Xavier Woods will develop into the center fielder you want and Thomas will become a moot point.

The only team who should be in a hurry to make this trade is the Seahawks. Because their time is expiring and their team is being dismantled.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah unless you think this team is on the verge of winning a Superbowl this season you might as well sit and wait a year. And maybe in the mean time you'll draft someone or Xavier Woods will develop into the center fielder you want and Thomas will become a moot point.

The only team who should be in a hurry to make this trade is the Seahawks. Because their time is expiring and their team is being dismantled.
Yep.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am not *ENTIRELY* sure that this defense can't be really, really good, if you add a LB and Earl Thomas....... and I'm not sure the offense can't be as good as in 2016. If so, could this team be 13-3 again? Not out of the realm possibility. I'd give up a third for that chance.

I mean, if you get 3 years of starts out of Earl Thomas, isn't that acceptable for a third round pick?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Agreed. I wouldn't do a third either honestly.

Why wouldn't we wait a year and just sign him?

Getting him one year early isn't worth a premium pick.
I'd rather have him for that extra year honestly, and there's also no guarantee that he signs here as a free agent next year. It's also plausible that we can sign him long-term cheaper this way than if he was a free agent.

I mean, I've been on these boards about 15 years and one of the biggest, most consistent gripes has been the lack of a rangy centerfield FS ball-hawk type. Thomas is pretty much the archetype for that type of player and is still in his prime and it's perplexing to me that people are scoffing at giving up a 3rd or what have you.

Obviously you don't want to give up picks if at all possible but there's no guarantee that this guy signs here next year just because he went up to Garrett after a game. Being a free agent changes things, I'm sure he wants to come home to Dallas and I'm sure he'd be amenable to signing a reasonable long term deal if we trade for him, but things change when you're on the open market and the Jaguars or some such team are offering you 14 a year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd give a 3rd and a 6th for him and that's as far as I would go, and that's pushing it for me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather have him for that extra year honestly, and there's also no guarantee that he signs here as a free agent next year. It's also plausible that we can sign him long-term cheaper this way than if he was a free agent.

I mean, I've been on these boards about 15 years and one of the biggest, most consistent gripes has been the lack of a rangy centerfield FS ball-hawk type. Thomas is pretty much the archetype for that type of player and is still in his prime and it's perplexing to me that people are scoffing at giving up a 3rd or what have you.

Obviously you don't want to give up picks if at all possible but there's no guarantee that this guy signs here next year just because he went up to Garrett after a game. Being a free agent changes things, I'm sure he wants to come home to Dallas and I'm sure he'd be amenable to signing a reasonable long term deal if we trade for him, but things change when you're on the open market and the Jaguars or some such team are offering you 14 a year.
If he was a 4 or 5 year veteran I'd be with you. But the guy is going into year 9 of his career. How many seasons do you think the guy is going to play? I mean when you draft a guy your dream is for him to play for you for 10 years. Earl Thomas is right at the door step of 10 years. That's my worry. If he was a 25 year old at the end of his rookie deal it would be a different discussion.

Newt

DCC 4Life
If he was a 4 or 5 year veteran I'd be with you. But the guy is going into year 9 of his career. How many seasons do you think the guy is going to play? I mean when you draft a guy your dream is for him to play for you for 10 years. Earl Thomas is right at the door step of 10 years. That's my worry. If he was a 25 year old at the end of his rookie deal it would be a different discussion.
I get what you are saying, but at the same time we could draft a safety that is a complete bust and not even get 1 decent year out him. If I can get Earl for a 3rd and only get 2 or 3 years out of him I'll be ok with it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get what you are saying, but at the same time we could draft a safety that is a complete bust and not even get 1 decent year out him. If I can get Earl for a 3rd and only get 2 or 3 years out of him I'll be ok with it.
Maybe but if we are smart we should be able to get a starter for the next 4 or 5 years at least out of a third round pick. And that's a start who will cost 1 mil a year as opposed to 10+. If you nail it you should get more. And I realize that there are Chaz Green third rounders that end up as nothing but shaky depth for a few years but I don't think most of us wanted Chaz Green. Jourdan Lewis on the other hand was a guy I did want and I think he is going to be a really good top 3 corner for us for a long time.

On the flip side if Earl Thomas give you 2 years at a probowl level and you win a superbowl because of it then it's worth every penny. Which is why I wouldn't freak if we gave us a third for him. Just not what I would do. Especially because we will have cap room next offseason to make some moves if we want. Earl costs us the cap room of a top free agent and the third round pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ed Reed played 11 years at an All Pro/Pro Bowl level, Eric Weddle has played 11 years at a very high level and is still going.

Barring injuries, if we were to get Thomas for 2018, I'd expect at least 3 years of Pro Bowl caliber play (2018-2020) and potentially 4 or even 5.

Top Bottom