BTB: The Henry Melton Signing

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Fair enough

Demarcus Ware 2014:

TCKL 40 SCK 6.0 FF 0 INT 1

How hard will it be for a journeyman DE to reproduce those numbers? Those are journeyman numbers.
You are missing a very important factor: Ware racked up those numbers while getting every double team, every tight end chip, and offenses scheming around him. He was the focal point.

George Selvie getting 7 sacks is no where near as good a performance as Ware getting 6.

So a journeyman putting up those same numbers is not the equivalent of what Ware did for us in 2013, and does not make us a better defense.

Ware was not good in 2013, and his 2013 production is not impossible to reproduce, but don't fucking insult my intelligence by saying we can import a journeyman, or expect George Selvie to start at RE instead, and that we are fine.

No, we aren't. We need a stud pass rushing DE to draw the attention, even without the numbers, before our DL can be said to be as well off as it was last year.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, we aren't. We need a stud pass rushing DE to draw the attention, even without the numbers, before our DL can be said to be as well off as it was last year.
Our D-line was utter dog shit down the stretch. I don't know if it is a stretch to say our D-line can produce at a similar level next year. Of course who the hell cares? A marginal improvement over a dog shit D-line is still dog shit. What we need is a stud pass rusher in this draft to fill that RE spot. I'm rooting for Dee Ford or Jeffcoat. I think either one of those guys could be capable of being a double digit sack DE in the NFL right away. If we have a stud pass rusher at RE and Melton returns to his probowl form this D-line could be pretty close to being very good. Especially if we have improved depth in the process, allowing us to rotate in guys more like Seattle did last year. The funny thing about Seattle's d-line last year is that it wasn't star studded, it was just crazy deep. They could constantly bring in fresh D-lineman off the bench who were starting caliber.

The rate at which Marinelli pushes guys to give everything they have requires a deep rotation on the D-line to survive. I think that's part of the reason our D-line ran out of gas as the season went on.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's true that Seattle's DL didn't have any elite studs and that their strength was mostly built off their depth. I've also read that we want to emulate that philosophy, which is positive, but one of the major differences between how their DL was built and how our DL is built (at least currently) is that Seattle had two very good run-stuffers with size in Red Bryant (6-5, 326) and Brandon Mebane (6-1, 309). They would use these guys to shut down the run and force teams into clear passing situations which is when they would unleash their nickel packages with a line of 4 pass-rushers.

That is why I would be completely fine with a guy like Nix at 16, we need a couple of big hosses in there to eat up blockers, let our LB's roam and free up our pass-rushers to do what they do best. A guy like Crawford is not built to be a 1-technique, he's built to stack up against the run as a LDE, provide a little rush in base situations and then kick inside in passing situations to rush the passer, a bit like Michael Bennett.

Of course our stupid fucking myopic front office can't think outside the box and have apparently thrown all 1-technique DT's into non-consideration until later in the draft because supposedly you can find them there.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Problem is, if we get a run stuffer, we'll have to hear C-rock tell us it was a wasted pick.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Problem is, if we get a run stuffer, we'll have to hear C-rock tell us it was a wasted pick.
Bryant and Mebane were mid round picks. You want to spend first and second rounders on 2 down players. That's the difference.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bryant and Mebane were mid round picks. You want to spend first and second rounders on 2 down players. That's the difference.
Nix has more pass rush ability than either of them, he's a first round pick for a reason. Yes, we can find guys who can stuff the run in the mid rounds, but Nix could and most likely will be better than that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we draft Spears 2.0 absolutely. That dude sucked and the run stopping numbers when teams ran at him weren't good at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nix has more pass rush ability than either of them, he's a first round pick for a reason. Yes, we can find guys who can stuff the run in the mid rounds, but Nix could and most likely will be better than that.
If we are getting BJ Raji from the year he had like 6.5 sacks I'll take that in a heartbeat.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Come on man...microfracture surgery is about as bad as it gets.
Definitely. No pro comes back from it, especially someone over 30. Spencer needs to grab the small fortune Dallas paid him the last two years and ride off into the sunset. It's over.

p1_

DCC 4Life
:lol

Better than manageable after one signing? We're not even back to where we were from last year's worst DL in the league.

This guy is the biggest dipshit homer writer out there. He must be gunning for Spag's job. It's a disgrace this guy gets to write and be considered someone who knows something about football.
Dude he's a blogger. Don't give him more stature than he deserves. Hell, you could write a blog. That doesn't mean it would be worth a shit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dude he's a blogger. Don't give him more stature than he deserves. Hell, you could write a blog. That doesn't mean it would be worth a shit.
It would at least be worth a Schmidt.

hstour

Brand New Member
You are missing a very important factor: Ware racked up those numbers while getting every double team, every tight end chip, and offenses scheming around him. He was the focal point.

George Selvie getting 7 sacks is no where near as good a performance as Ware getting 6.

So a journeyman putting up those same numbers is not the equivalent of what Ware did for us in 2013, and does not make us a better defense.

Ware was not good in 2013, and his 2013 production is not impossible to reproduce, but don't fucking insult my intelligence by saying we can import a journeyman, or expect George Selvie to start at RE instead, and that we are fine.

Never said we were fine. Just said that as of right now we are in a better position. But that includes taking the draft into account.

Never said that DL should be ignored in the draft. My intent was that at the VERY least one pick would be spent on it. In several mocks, Donald doesn't make it past Chicago. But with the addition of Melton to start at the 3 and with Mincey and McClain as backups/rotational players, the Cowboys aren't forced to reach for a 3-tech.

Top Bottom