Brice Butler Re-Signed

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm just surprised how ok everyone seems with this guy being our opposite Dez outside WR next year.

I frankly don't even want him as a fourth WR really.
I am not OK with it. As WR4, OK, but this guy is a fringe NFL player.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Disagree that they are "just fine" with Butler as the WR2 regardless that he is not truly relied upon as a traditional WR2. I am just fine with them signing him assuming the deal is very cheap, but that is operating under the assumption that they spend a pick in the top 3 rounds of the draft on a WR. If they don't then I am not OK with it.
Well yeah I did mention above in a previous post that I would like a draft pick to supplement this signing. But this option is much better than wasting big dollars on a WR in free agency.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just surprised how ok everyone seems with this guy being our opposite Dez outside WR next year.

Being OK with it is different then wanting it. I think we all want better but recognize that it isn't going to come in the form of free agency. We can see that Butler probably won't have a significant negative impact on our offense as compared to last year. But I think most of us have bitched a time or two about Terrance Williams and wouldn't actually mind upgrading him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm also getting the impression that Williams will be priced out of our range. I don't see what anyone against this signing would offer as an alternative. It just doesn't make sense to spend 8 million dollars a year on the 4th or 5th option in our passing game. It makes way more sense to sign a guy like Butler who isn't that much of a downgrade, and draft a guy. And if you don't believe we're looking to draft a WR, look at who we've shown interest in at the combine.

townsend

Banned

Unfortunately T Will is gonna sign for starter money. The point is that we did pretty well with Butler and Williams as our starting outside receivers. So it's not a stretch to say we'll do pretty well with Butler and Bryant instead.

Frankly even Williams was way underutilized that far down the progression, so while a draft pick or affordable FA (if there is such a thing anymore) would be nice to have, I don't think it represents much of a change to this offense if Butler takes Williams' place.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm also getting the impression that Williams will be priced out of our range. I don't see what anyone against this signing would offer as an alternative. It just doesn't make sense to spend 8 million dollars a year on the 4th or 5th option in our passing game. It makes way more sense to sign a guy like Butler who isn't that much of a downgrade, and draft a guy. And if you don't believe we're looking to draft a WR, look at who we've shown interest in at the combine.
It does make sense as a stopgap since he has been in the system for a couple of years and yes, they can not afford a major upgrade via free agency this year. I think there is now tremendous pressure to get some legit WR talent in this draft and next year's draft though. Brice Butler is a replacement level player at best and Dez is getting older and has missed quite a bit of time of the past few seasons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It does make sense as a stopgap since he has been in the system for a couple of years and yes, they can not afford a major upgrade via free agency this year. I think there is now tremendous pressure to get some legit WR talent in this draft and next year's draft though. Brice Butler is a replacement level player at best and Dez is getting older and has missed quite a bit of time of the past few seasons.
Yep, it would be a great year for us to draft a WR in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. I'd say after DE and the secondary WR is probably our next biggest need. Sure would be nice to have an extra second, third or fourth round pick from the Romo trade. But know instead Jerry Jones is content just taking it up the asshole. Give me a S, CB, DE and WR with our first four picks and I'd be happy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Im not.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Who is "everyone"?

This jack-mo is barely a step above Devin Street.

shane

DCC 4Life
I think he's got some potential and it seems like Dez is pushing him to get better. If this is a small contract, I don't mind the signing at all. I'd be happy with Bryant/Beasley/Butler/mid-round draft pick as our wide outs next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he's got some potential and it seems like Dez is pushing him to get better. If this is a small contract, I don't mind the signing at all. I'd be happy with Bryant/Beasley/Butler/mid-round draft pick as our wide outs next year.
Sounds like a one year prove it deal.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
John Freaking Ross baby! YOu only think you want the defense improved with early round picks. You'll get Ross and 28 and love it!!!

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'd take Ross at 28 and be quite happy.

He'd bring a dimension to the offense we haven't had in a long time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
People underestimate how well Williams developed as a blocker, too. Butler can't replace what Williams meant to the offense. It's not even close.

A big loss for the whole team and almost impossible to replace without major FA bucks.

Even a high draft pick is going to take a lot of time to develop. Need to start now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
WOW.

Booze taking hyperbole to another level.
And if you think Butler is capable of being more than a schlub number four WR, then you are taking idiocy to another level.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fuck, and meanwhile Pryor to DC.
Pryor is 8 mil, Butler is 1.5 mil. Just a slight difference. I'm happy for Pryor and all but the only thing that both of these players have in common is that they only caught about half of the balls thrown their way.

Top Bottom