Brice Butler Re-Signed

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think we'll be fine in theory with Butler as the number 2, but the real problem is if (when?) Dez misses time due to injury. We definitely need at least one more WR, preferably a guy in the draft with good upside.
He is not even number two in theory. Not reliable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The odd thing about Butler is he will make a spectacular play on one down and then the next he will blow the easy play. Inconsistent but he flashes enough to give some hope.

townsend

Banned
Butler's and T Will put up several good games together without Dez,
He'll do fine opposite Bryant as the other outside receiver. We just need a mediocre FA or 3rd/4th round draft pick to build up our depth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'll do fine opposite Bryant as the other outside receiver. We just need a mediocre FA or 3rd/4th round draft pick to build up our depth.
I agree. We are talking about like 500 recieving yards.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yeah, no way the guy should be considered a #2 in any capacity (unless we are going to make a poop joke). I know Beasley is the true #2 and Witten still gets a lot of targets but there needs to a a better outside WR opposite of Dez. I don't think there is any doubt that they pick one in the first few rounds of the draft. I just hope he can contribute as a rookie.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep.

1. Beasley
2. Dez
3. Witten
4. Swaim
5. Intentional grounding
6. Butler

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is reminiscent of Donte Stallworth's role in the 07 NE defense. Technically the "#2" Wr, but actually the 4th or 5th receiving option.
I know the funny is to pretend like Butler is totally useless but his 3 TDs this past year were pretty helpful.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I know Beasley is the true #2 and Witten still gets a lot of targets

Add in Elliott catching balls and this is why we are just fine with Butler. The WR2 on this offense is like the fifth option on a run heavy team.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Add in Elliott catching balls and this is why we are just fine with Butler. The WR2 on this offense is like the fifth option on a run heavy team.
Disagree that they are "just fine" with Butler as the WR2 regardless that he is not truly relied upon as a traditional WR2. I am just fine with them signing him assuming the deal is very cheap, but that is operating under the assumption that they spend a pick in the top 3 rounds of the draft on a WR. If they don't then I am not OK with it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah and Butler doesn't prevent us from drafting a talented guy. I'd love to improve the number 2 WR spot but Butler can at least keep the seat warm in its current function in our offense.

It's why I bring back Wilcox even though I might not want him to start.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:picard

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The odd thing about Butler is he will make a spectacular play on one down and then the next he will blow the easy play. Inconsistent but he flashes enough to give some hope.
Alvin. Harper.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
TBH, I don't really give a flying ass fuck right at this very moment.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alvin. Harper.
Pretty much. I don't expect a lot from Butler next year but I certainly think he is capable of clearing 580 yards and 4 TDs if we need him to. And again, I'd still draft a guy to compete with him. And hell maybe it all works out and that rookie wins so we can let Butler walk after this year.

Top Bottom