Breaking: Jason Witten To Retire

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I doubt Escobar was their replacement plan for Witten. He was just another in the long, failed attempt of Garrett wanting to copy the Patriots 2 TE offense.
Now watch the eagles kill us with it...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You don't take a pass catching TE in the 2nd round unless you think he's the heir apparent. The 2 TE thing died with Bennett.
I don't believe that at all. The Patriots were collecting pass catching TEs. And that's what Garrett was trying to emulate.

Stars

DCC 4Life
So did he retire or what? Shit or get off the pot. Stupid way of handling this.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Report: Witten weighing multiple offers, Garrett working to keep him
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 29, 2018, 7:43 PM EDT

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten has options.

Witten, who is contemplating retirement, has more than one TV option and is deciding between those options and returning to the Cowboys for another season.

Chris Mortensen, who first reported last week that Witten was set to retire from the Cowboys and join ESPN’s Monday Night Football booth, now reports that Witten has another television offer from another network.

Meanwhile, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is working to persuade Witten to stay with the Cowboys. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones also indicated that he’d like to keep Witten around. It’s possible that Jones could offer to boost Witten’s salary to compete with his television offers.

Witten, who will turn 36 next week, started all 16 games last year but saw his production decline: His 63 catches, 560 yards and 8.9 yards per catch average were all his lowest since becoming the Cowboys’ starting tight end in 2004. But despite that decline in production, the Cowboys are hoping to get Witten back.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
InB4 all the “outrage” and empty threats of violence towards puppies and kitties start rolling in.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hope he retires at this stage. No reason to have a player that has thought about retiring trying to play.

Once they have thought about it, they are already there.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cant see him changing his mind. Monday night is a plum gig, Witten can ease right into retirement.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can see Witten coming back for one more season with an offer of Ring of honor induction during the season. I think however the domestic side of the family will win out and he will follow that persuasion.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I can see Witten coming back for one more season with an offer of Ring of honor induction during the season. I think however the domestic side of the family will win out and he will follow that persuasion.
Don't call it domestic side. Sounds like you think he is hurting for money. Its greed. I'm not saying its wrong pursue what he wants to do but when you twice publically announce that you are returning something made you change your mind. Top that off with Jerry mentioning that he can increase salary then lets just call it greed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't call it domestic side. Sounds like you think he is hurting for money. Its greed. I'm not saying its wrong pursue what he wants to do but when you twice publically announce that you are returning something made you change your mind. Top that off with Jerry mentioning that he can increase salary then lets just call it greed.
Yeah fuck that, Witten is already over paid. Let the man retire. Shut didn't we just redo his contract too?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Follow that money, Jason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's crazy. I'm sure he would be excellent but the money they pay for a guy simply because he played football seems insane to me.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Bye Felicia

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Maybe my memory is bad but I don't recall Witten being some great natural communicator that will transition smoothly to a broadcast booth. Then again they made a broadcaster out of a semi caveman like Chris Spielman so maybe anybody can do it.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Maybe my memory is bad but I don't recall Witten being some great natural communicator that will transition smoothly to a broadcast booth. Then again they made a broadcaster out of a semi caveman like Chris Spielman so maybe anybody can do it.
Well Aikman sucked in front of the media too before he made the transition. The guys who are good company men give the media nothing.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
They said of the "former" players who ESPN test marketed, Witten was, by far, the most well received. How better to stick it to all the Cowboys' "haters", than to have former Cowboys calling 3 of the 4 nationally televised games each week (Aikman FOX, Romo CBS, Witten ESPN) :lol

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
At this point I don't really care whether he stays or goes. The sentimental part of me would like to see him have a farewell tour of sorts but on the field if you're not in it mentally then you're no good to the team.

I think not having him out there would get more speed on the field in clear passing situations where we might see someone like Deonte Thompson or Cedrick Wilson out there instead of him in 5-wide formations. We'd be telegraphing our intentions with certain personnel groupings of course but we already did that anyway, going 5-wide and shit on 2nd and 5, so what's the difference?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point I don't really care whether he stays or goes. The sentimental part of me would like to see him have a farewell tour of sorts but on the field if you're not in it mentally then you're no good to the team.

I think not having him out there would get more speed on the field in clear passing situations where we might see someone like Deonte Thompson or Cedrick Wilson out there instead of him in 5-wide formations. We'd be telegraphing our intentions with certain personnel groupings of course but we already did that anyway, going 5-wide and shit on 2nd and 5, so what's the difference?
Well and frankly in third and long situations I'd rather see someone like Rico out there who can stretch a defense and make a play with the ball in his hands.

I'd love Witten back with a reduced role but we all know that's never going to happen. Witten is either here playing 100% of the snaps or he won't be here at all. It's why moving on may allow this offense to sort of grow and become Zeke and Daks offense as opposed to Witten and Dez's. Don't get me wrong I'm concerned about not having Witten. He's been here for so long and he has been the one constant that you can trust to be there day in and day out but at some point we need to move on to sort of move on to that next stage. And hopefully become a more explosive offense.

Also that one less false start a game might be nice.

Top Bottom