Breaking: Jason Witten To Retire

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no chance in hell they come after him for the money. This organization is not that cutthroat.
They literally gave him the bonus this off season to cut his cap number for next year. Why in the hell wouldn't they get that back? It would be absurd beyond belief not to. The guy literally would be robbing the Cowboys.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I hate to see Witten retire...any true Cowboys fan knows what the guy has meant to this franchise. As much as the guy annoyed the shit out of me for false starts and falling forward for 1/2 a yard when we need 2 yards, he embodies the Staubach/Dorsett/Hill glory days by the way he played the game.

But, like everything else in life sometimes its just time for the ride to end. I believe Witten has kept the Cowboys from investing in a modern era (Big and fast) TE that can create those big mismatches that are common these days. Witten just isn't that guy, and he was never off the field long enough to see if we had anyone else worth a shit at TE behind him. Hopefully we can find something in Rico and if not maybe the new kid we drafted shows something.

Its just time to move on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They literally gave him the bonus this off season to cut his cap number for next year. Why in the hell wouldn't they get that back? It would be absurd beyond belief not to. The guy literally would be robbing the Cowboys.
Can't rape the willing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He goes on freaking trips with them on their off time. No way in hell do they take money from him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Seems like there was another player a while back that the organization also allowed the player to keep a bonus or some part of a signing arrangement. I want to say it was T.O. but that may be wrong.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Seems like there was another player a while back that the organization also allowed the player to keep a bonus or some part of a signing arrangement. I want to say it was T.O. but that may be wrong.
Romo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think they let Ware keep some of his signing bonus, but I'm not 100% on that.
That could be right I seem to recall it was a defensive player and there was some contraversy about the player. Some of the fans were emphatic that he should have paid it back. I recall Ware was released because of cost so it could have been him.

data

Forbes #1
I’m guessing Irvin. Final answer.

What di I win, Johnny?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't Orton leave with his bonus?
Yes, I believe so.

Witten is the only one I can think of though who received a signing bonus and then promptly retired. And frankly I don't care about the money but I do care if it counts against our salary cap. It's not fair that we have a bunch of dead money because the guy took our money and then retired. If Witten kept the money I'd actually think less of him. It's a pretty shitty thing to do when you think about it. Basically taking advantage of an organization owned by a guy who treated you like family.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Y’all know Jerry throws that money around like candy. Consider it a parting gift.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Y’all know Jerry throws that money around like candy. Consider it a parting gift.
If it wasn't a big hit on our cap I wouldn't give a shit. Everyone else in the organization has a clinched butthole when it comes to spending our cap space. And if we throw away a bunch of cap to just be nice it's really going to piss me off.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't hold my breath, Witten is one of their pet cats. The Joneses are not going to ask for that money back from a likely future 1st ballot HOFer and probably eventual Ring of Honor inductee.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's now official. He has retired to join ESPN.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom