UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
What the hell did you buy now?
šŸ˜†

I bought a CNC machine. Should be here in a couple weeks. Itā€™s was 7500.00 cheaper than I found anywhere else. Could be a red flagā€¦we will find out!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I bought a CNC machine. Should be here in a couple weeks. Itā€™s was 7500.00 cheaper than I found anywhere else. Could be a red flagā€¦we will find out!
Well, fuck me with one of your hooker's dildos. Jesus, high roller.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Well, fuck me with one of your hooker's dildos. Jesus, high roller.
I've been watching Craigslist and ebay for a good deal on a Bridgeport mill for a year or two. Don't have as much disposable money as Scrooge McMilti tho by a longshot

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
šŸ˜†

What kind of a CNC? A Mill? Those are pretty awesome. My dad did my pinewood derby car on one as a kid. It was awesome.

UncleMilti

Staff member
What kind of a CNC? A Mill? Those are pretty awesome. My dad did my pinewood derby car on one as a kid. It was awesome.
Haas 4 axis. Making some brackets for a construction project.
šŸ˜

p1_

DCC 4Life
We were having a ball talking about 80s movies during the playoffs. Goonies.

I'll probably change it to LDD later.
I thought it might be Star Trek: Next Generation

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Iā€™ve been wanting one for a while. Let me know how you like it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Iā€™ve been wanting one for a while. Let me know how you like it.
Since that post was 3 months ago, he should probably know by now. :unsure

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Since that post was 3 months ago, he should probably know by now. :unsure
Or maybe heā€™s still trying to figure out how to put it together.

Thatā€™s my biggest fear. Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll fuck it up somehow.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Our good uncle likely had a gaggle of strippers hired to assemble the machine in stilettos.

UncleMilti

Staff member

The machine came in pretty much ready to run. Had to do some minor leveling, and hook up the cords and cables to the computer. Mount the 28ā€ monitor etc

Hardest part so far is converting/programming the 3D CAD drawing into the actual programming that the CNC ā€œreadsā€. There are several conversion programs available that handle 90-100% of the programming for you, but I havenā€™t invested a it of time into it yet.

Right now I have some aluminum brackets Iā€™m trying to make that hold up glass panels on an exterior staircase. Itā€™s definitelyā€¦..interesting. I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

:unsure

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Right now I have some aluminum brackets Iā€™m trying to make that hold up glass panels on an exterior staircase. Itā€™s definitelyā€¦..interesting. I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

:unsure
Problem solved. Pay me an extravagant salary to come run that thing for you.

Of course, I don't know shit about it, (or, even what the fuck it is, really) but I will take a small portion of that exorbitant stack of cash you'll be giving me and hire some schlep that does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Of course, I don't know shit about it, (or, even what the fuck it is, really) but I will take a small portion of that exorbitant stack of cash you'll be giving me and hire some schlep that does.
I used to run the CNC's at my dads tool and die shop. But that was almost 20 years ago so I'm basically clueless at this point. Now my dad is a wizz with that stuff. When I was a kid we basically scanned in a corvette matchbox car and had the CNC cut out the car for me. Needless to say I had the most badass looking car.

Anyway, stupid story but those things are capable of some really cool stuff.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I used to run the CNC's at my dads tool and die shop. But that was almost 20 years ago so I'm basically clueless at this point. Now my dad is a wizz with that stuff. When I was a kid we basically scanned in a corvette matchbox car and had the CNC cut out the car for me. Needless to say I had the most badass looking car.

Anyway, stupid story but those things are capable of some really cool stuff.
Yeah there is a 3D scanning tool you can use with this, but since Iā€™m creating the part from scratch it doesnā€™t help me. But you are right Iā€™ll probably never scratch the surface on all this thing can do.

UncleMilti

Staff member

You know how it goesā€¦ you make plans and buy shit based on your PLAN, then thereā€™s what actually HAPPENS when the shit arrives and doesnā€™t go to plan. Well Iā€™m somewhere in that part of no manā€™s land.
:dunce:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah there is a 3D scanning tool you can use with this, but since Iā€™m creating the part from scratch it doesnā€™t help me. But you are right Iā€™ll probably never scratch the surface on all this thing can do.
Yeah I remember using CAD and Mastercam to design stuff back in the day. But shit that was a real long time ago. I'm guessing all that stuff has changed a lot since then.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Yeah I remember using CAD and Mastercam to design stuff back in the day. But shit that was a real long time ago. I'm guessing all that stuff has changed a lot since then.
Iā€™m using AutoCAD 2021, which is fine. Iā€™m self taught on it and Iā€™m actually proficient with it.
Haas uses its own control system and software system, but you can use open source software like Hypermill and Fusion360 to interface with any CNC. Mastercam is still out there too.

Top Bottom