Archer: Cowboys' defense has new look and new faces, but has it improved?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He definitely is. On a one year deal what do you think he is worth? My opinion is probably not worth the headache.
I think there is no headache if he's effectively a drop in replacement for Crawford. I think he has a chance to bring the same level of disruption that Quinn did, but at a younger age.

If three blockers are taking on Poe and McCoy, then you have a choice between your blocking support against Lawrence or Clowney but not both.

If you ever blitz on top of it, which you know Nolan will, I think you can really disrupt the passing game. We need younger players up front, and obviously more effective ones

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think there is no headache if he's effectively a drop in replacement for Crawford. I think he has a chance to bring the same level of disruption that Quinn did, but at a younger age.
Why? What has Clowney ever done to make you think he can bring the same pressure as a double digit sack guy? I think you're overrating Clowney's ability as a pass rusher. He has never been a great NFL pass rusher. He does others things really well but he had 3 sacks last year. In his NFL career he has never had double digit sacks. And his best pass rush numbers came as a LBer in a 3-4 where he was able to sort of shoot other gaps. I don't see this really good edge rusher that you see.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd 100% give Clowney a 1 year/10 million deal. Sell him on the Quinn plan of playing opposite Lawrence who attracts most of the OL's attention and parlaying that into a bigger deal next year, especially on a team as visible as the Cowboys.

He put up 9 and 9.5 sacks respectively in 2017 and 2018, last year was probably an outlier and I'd expect him to give us at least 7-8 sacks depending on how heavily we rely on him, along with elite run defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd 100% give Clowney a 1 year/10 million deal. Sell him on the Quinn plan of playing opposite Lawrence who attracts most of the OL's attention and parlaying that into a bigger deal next year, especially on a team as visible as the Cowboys.

He put up 9 and 9.5 sacks respectively in 2017 and 2018, last year was probably an outlier and I'd expect him to give us at least 7-8 sacks depending on how heavily we rely on him, along with elite run defense.
I think he is a worse pass rusher than Quinn but a far better run defender.

I think Seattle offered him 13 mil.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think he is a worse pass rusher than Quinn but a far better run defender.

I think Seattle offered him 13 mil.
I read Cleveland offered him 12, which I'd be more than happy with as well.

I don't give a shit what we give him on a one year deal, it's not like it's going anywhere else really and when Tyrone Crawford has a 9 million cap hit, 12 for Clowney is a damn bargain.

CowboyRoy

Not So New Member
5:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys' defense in 2020 will have a different look than it has had since 2013, with Mike Nolan now serving as coach Mike McCarthy's defensive coordinator.

What is that look exactly? The Cowboys will be a 4-3 base team, but will have multiple looks and coverages they didn't use much under former coordinator Rod Marinelli and playcaller Kris Richard.

"There's a lot more defenses, to be honest," safety Xavier Woods said, adding the Cowboys will disguise more of what they are doing than in the past.

After looking at whether the Cowboys' offense has gotten better, stayed the same or gotten worse in the offseason, here is the position-by-position look at the defense:

Defensive end

Additions: Aldon Smith, Bradlee Anae, Ron'Dell Carter, LaDarius Hamilton

Losses: Robert Quinn, Kerry Hyder, Michael Bennett

Returners: DeMarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, Dorance Armstrong, Joe Jackson, Jalen Jelks

Better, worse or the same? Worse

Quinn led the Cowboys in sacks last season with 11.5. The Cowboys were not going to pay him close to the $14 million a year he got from the Chicago Bears, but they also did not make a major play in NFL free agency or the 2020 NFL draft for a replacement.

Lawrence might have had only five sacks last season, but his pass rush win rate was third-best while facing a higher amount of double-teams. In other words, he was still affecting the passer if not getting the sack.

Crawford's return to the defense will be a boost despite the naysayers. His absence from double-hip surgery affected the front more than folks know. He is not a high-sack player, but he can play multiple spots. He will likely play a similar role to what Bennett served after being traded to the Cowboys from New England.

While there could be some growth from players such as Armstrong, Jackson and Jelks, Smith is the biggest wild card primarily because he has not played in a game since 2015. When he was at his best, he had few peers as a pass-rusher, but can he still do it after so much time off?

Defensive tackle

Additions: Gerald McCoy, Dontari Poe, Neville Gallimore, Justin Hamilton, Garrett Marino

Losses: Maliek Collins, Christian Covington, Daniel Ross

Returners: Antwaun Woods, Trysten Hill

Better, worse or the same? Better

Under Marinelli, the Cowboys valued quickness more than size in the middle of the line. The Cowboys are operating differently now, especially with the addition of Poe, who is 346 pounds. McCoy was Dallas' biggest free-agent signing, and the hope is that his versatility can be a plus for the pass rush.

"I mean, they're two damn good, veteran football players. Lot of experience. They definitely fit what we're trying to do up front, inside," McCarthy said. "Our outlook on how you play defense, you've still got to stop the run. And then you've got two big guys that can give you pass rush, too. They're definitely a big part of changing the look and the emphasis of how we want to play on the interior of the defensive line."

Last year's second-round pick, Hill, will wipe the slate clean after a subpar rookie season, but he will have to prove to the coaches he is willing to work. If he doesn't, then this year's third-rounder, Gallimore, will have a chance to be a major part of the interior rotation.

Linebacker

Additions: Francis Bernard, Azur Kamara

Losses: Christian Covington, Malcolm Smith, Ray-Ray Armstrong

Returners: Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Joe Thomas, Justin March, Luke Gifford

Better, worse or the same? Same

This position group has a chance to be so much better with the return to health of Vander Esch, who played in nine games in 2019 because of a neck injury that required surgery. He is feeling better than he did at any point last season, but the true test will come in training camp.

Smith needs to return to his 2018 form, even if he was added to the Pro Bowl last year. While the offseason has been "virtual," Smith has been training more than last spring when he was at Notre Dame to finish his degree. Lee showed he can still be a top-end player, even if he is on something of a pitch count.

The Cowboys re-signed Thomas, who can play all three linebacker spots, and March, who can be a valuable special-teamer, but for the third time in 10 years the Cowboys did not draft a linebacker.

Cornerback

Additions: Daryl Worley, Maurice Canady, Trevon Diggs, Reggie Robinson, Saivion Smith

Losses: Byron Jones, Donovan Olumba

Returners: Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, Anthony Brown, C.J. Goodwin, Deante Burton, Chris Westry

Better, worse or the same? Same, but with some questions

Losing Jones to the Miami Dolphins was a big blow, but it was not unexpected since the Cowboys were not going to approach the $16.25 million-a-year offer Jones received. While Jones did not take the ball away, he was ninth-best in completion percentage allowed among players with 50 targets as the nearest defender in 2019, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. He gave up three touchdowns. Would you rather have a corner with four interceptions but give up more completions and/or touchdowns?

The Cowboys did not stand pat at the position even with Awuzie and Lewis entering the final year of their rookie contracts and Brown being re-signed. Diggs, a second-round pick, had three interceptions last season at Alabama and has tremendous athleticism. Robinson, the Cowboys' fourth-round pick, had four picks last season at Tulsa. Worley can play all across the secondary and Canady has solid ability.

The bottom line, however, is they must get the ball. The Cowboys have not had a cornerback with four interceptions in a season since Terence Newman in 2011.

Safety

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has joined the Cowboys on a one-year deal, his fourth team in three years. Photo by Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire
Additions: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Luther Kirk

Losses: Jeff Heath, Kavon Frazier

Returners: Xavier Woods, Darian Thompson, Donovan Wilson

Better, worse or the same? Better

Clinton-Dix, who has 16 career interceptions, reunites with McCarthy, and his old coach hopes he can bring to Dallas some of that playmaking ability. The other seven members of the secondary with NFL experience have 21 INTs between them. Clinton-Dix will take some curious angles and miss some tackles, but he brings some talent to the position that the Cowboys have not had in years.

Woods has been a full-time starter the past two seasons and is entering a contract year. If he can continue on the same trajectory he has had, the Cowboys could have a good 1-2 punch at safety.

The Cowboys have flirted with the idea of giving corners, such as Awuzie and Robinson, some looks at safety, but they will allow Thompson and Wilson a chance to show they can be counted on this summer.
The way he lays it out is technically correct, but not accurate in total availability.

DE: He left out Gregory that should be reinstated and Crawford is returning to the defense that wasn't really there last year. THOSE two additions along with Aldon Smith make the DE position better. 100% better against the run. I am not going to say its better against the pass but I believe it has the potential to be just as good. Gregory with 6, Aldon with 5 and Crawford with a few can definitely get there. And there is an outside shot it is better.

Overall the DL as a whole is head and shoulders better against both the run and the pass.

LB: Not the same as we are getting LVE back that really only played a handful of games before getting injured and then shut down.

And then of course you have better coaching and the scheme change. This will be a top 5 defense against the run, a better pass rushing defense, and one that creates more turnovers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah. Signing Clowney to a sizable contract would not be all that smart.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I read Cleveland offered him 12, which I'd be more than happy with as well.

I don't give a shit what we give him on a one year deal, it's not like it's going anywhere else really and when Tyrone Crawford has a 9 million cap hit, 12 for Clowney is a damn bargain.
That was dirty pool bringing in Crawford.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why? What has Clowney ever done to make you think he can bring the same pressure as a double digit sack guy? I think you're overrating Clowney's ability as a pass rusher. He has never been a great NFL pass rusher. He does others things really well but he had 3 sacks last year. In his NFL career he has never had double digit sacks. And his best pass rush numbers came as a LBer in a 3-4 where he was able to sort of shoot other gaps. I don't see this really good edge rusher that you see.
I guess Clowney and his 3 sacks can get together with Lawrence and his 5 sacks and they can have a party.

It's simple, he's better than Crawford and younger than Quinn with similar stats to Quinn before last season. Again, it's a one year deal.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
instead of worrying about players, lets see what the staff does. i am hoping some fans have learned, it doesnt matter the talent if the coach cant deliver. talent cant win on its own.

the Garrett era shoudl have taught a lot of fans this sad story. So it wont matter if you bring in all the talent in the league, if the coaches cant get the squad to win, the team wont win. thats what im talking about with stream lining, this D has got to work and fire on all cylinders so the team can fire on all cylinders.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
One worrysome thing about Clowney.

He would undoubtedly be part of a rotation with Smith, Crawford, maybe Gregory, maybe even Anae.

How many snaps could Clowney realistically expect to get, and how much of a headache would he be if he isn't getting enough snaps while he's trying to play for a break-the-bank next contract?

If he was a guy that was just head shoulders above the rest of our DEs it might make sense, but I just don't see it.

I just don't seem him as a good fit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One worrysome thing about Clowney.

He would undoubtedly be part of a rotation with Smith, Crawford, maybe Gregory, maybe even Anae.

How many snaps could Clowney realistically expect to get, and how much of a headache would he be if he isn't getting enough snaps while he's trying to play for a break-the-bank next contract?

If he was a guy that was just head shoulders above the rest of our DEs it might make sense, but I just don't see it.

I just don't seem him as a good fit.
And...he is not all that great. At least Vic Beasley had a kickass year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Over rated, over paid.

People bitch about Crawford. So lets just go sign another one? No thanks.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Over rated, over paid.

People bitch about Crawford. So lets just go sign another one? No thanks.
I don't think anyone is saying sign Clowney to a long term deal. Just one year. What do you do with the money anyway? Every starter on a big contract in the NFL is overrated to some degree.

Crawford isn't half as good or athletic and is three years older. You could upgrade for 4 million in 2020 only and the space will more than be covered by Fred's post June cap deferment.

It sends a clear message that this team is going for it. Crawford will be gone and Clowney would join a camp roster of Demarcus Lawrence, Joe Jackson, Jalen Jelks, Dorance Armstrong, Aldon Smith, Bradley Anae, and maybe Randy Gregory.

Say we keep four DT's and six DE's we would demote two of the above to the practice squad and/or cut them.

Everson Griffen would be great too, just a lot older.

It's time to get serious about a major hole in the DL. Too many people (including Jerry) are seriously counting on the pot smokers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah Quinn was not good against the run at all. Which is probably why he was a good pass rusher. He basically went after the QB with no concern for the run. Improving the run stopping at the RE position is definitely an underrated thing that will likely be better next year.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom