Archer: Cowboys' defense has new look and new faces, but has it improved?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
5:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys' defense in 2020 will have a different look than it has had since 2013, with Mike Nolan now serving as coach Mike McCarthy's defensive coordinator.

What is that look exactly? The Cowboys will be a 4-3 base team, but will have multiple looks and coverages they didn't use much under former coordinator Rod Marinelli and playcaller Kris Richard.

"There's a lot more defenses, to be honest," safety Xavier Woods said, adding the Cowboys will disguise more of what they are doing than in the past.

After looking at whether the Cowboys' offense has gotten better, stayed the same or gotten worse in the offseason, here is the position-by-position look at the defense:

Defensive end

Additions: Aldon Smith, Bradlee Anae, Ron'Dell Carter, LaDarius Hamilton

Losses: Robert Quinn, Kerry Hyder, Michael Bennett

Returners: DeMarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, Dorance Armstrong, Joe Jackson, Jalen Jelks

Better, worse or the same? Worse

Quinn led the Cowboys in sacks last season with 11.5. The Cowboys were not going to pay him close to the $14 million a year he got from the Chicago Bears, but they also did not make a major play in NFL free agency or the 2020 NFL draft for a replacement.

Lawrence might have had only five sacks last season, but his pass rush win rate was third-best while facing a higher amount of double-teams. In other words, he was still affecting the passer if not getting the sack.

Crawford's return to the defense will be a boost despite the naysayers. His absence from double-hip surgery affected the front more than folks know. He is not a high-sack player, but he can play multiple spots. He will likely play a similar role to what Bennett served after being traded to the Cowboys from New England.

While there could be some growth from players such as Armstrong, Jackson and Jelks, Smith is the biggest wild card primarily because he has not played in a game since 2015. When he was at his best, he had few peers as a pass-rusher, but can he still do it after so much time off?

Defensive tackle

Additions: Gerald McCoy, Dontari Poe, Neville Gallimore, Justin Hamilton, Garrett Marino

Losses: Maliek Collins, Christian Covington, Daniel Ross

Returners: Antwaun Woods, Trysten Hill

Better, worse or the same? Better

Under Marinelli, the Cowboys valued quickness more than size in the middle of the line. The Cowboys are operating differently now, especially with the addition of Poe, who is 346 pounds. McCoy was Dallas' biggest free-agent signing, and the hope is that his versatility can be a plus for the pass rush.

"I mean, they're two damn good, veteran football players. Lot of experience. They definitely fit what we're trying to do up front, inside," McCarthy said. "Our outlook on how you play defense, you've still got to stop the run. And then you've got two big guys that can give you pass rush, too. They're definitely a big part of changing the look and the emphasis of how we want to play on the interior of the defensive line."

Last year's second-round pick, Hill, will wipe the slate clean after a subpar rookie season, but he will have to prove to the coaches he is willing to work. If he doesn't, then this year's third-rounder, Gallimore, will have a chance to be a major part of the interior rotation.

Linebacker

Additions: Francis Bernard, Azur Kamara

Losses: Christian Covington, Malcolm Smith, Ray-Ray Armstrong

Returners: Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Joe Thomas, Justin March, Luke Gifford

Better, worse or the same? Same

This position group has a chance to be so much better with the return to health of Vander Esch, who played in nine games in 2019 because of a neck injury that required surgery. He is feeling better than he did at any point last season, but the true test will come in training camp.

Smith needs to return to his 2018 form, even if he was added to the Pro Bowl last year. While the offseason has been "virtual," Smith has been training more than last spring when he was at Notre Dame to finish his degree. Lee showed he can still be a top-end player, even if he is on something of a pitch count.

The Cowboys re-signed Thomas, who can play all three linebacker spots, and March, who can be a valuable special-teamer, but for the third time in 10 years the Cowboys did not draft a linebacker.

Cornerback

Additions: Daryl Worley, Maurice Canady, Trevon Diggs, Reggie Robinson, Saivion Smith

Losses: Byron Jones, Donovan Olumba

Returners: Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, Anthony Brown, C.J. Goodwin, Deante Burton, Chris Westry

Better, worse or the same? Same, but with some questions

Losing Jones to the Miami Dolphins was a big blow, but it was not unexpected since the Cowboys were not going to approach the $16.25 million-a-year offer Jones received. While Jones did not take the ball away, he was ninth-best in completion percentage allowed among players with 50 targets as the nearest defender in 2019, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. He gave up three touchdowns. Would you rather have a corner with four interceptions but give up more completions and/or touchdowns?

The Cowboys did not stand pat at the position even with Awuzie and Lewis entering the final year of their rookie contracts and Brown being re-signed. Diggs, a second-round pick, had three interceptions last season at Alabama and has tremendous athleticism. Robinson, the Cowboys' fourth-round pick, had four picks last season at Tulsa. Worley can play all across the secondary and Canady has solid ability.

The bottom line, however, is they must get the ball. The Cowboys have not had a cornerback with four interceptions in a season since Terence Newman in 2011.

Safety

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has joined the Cowboys on a one-year deal, his fourth team in three years. Photo by Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire
Additions: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Luther Kirk

Losses: Jeff Heath, Kavon Frazier

Returners: Xavier Woods, Darian Thompson, Donovan Wilson

Better, worse or the same? Better

Clinton-Dix, who has 16 career interceptions, reunites with McCarthy, and his old coach hopes he can bring to Dallas some of that playmaking ability. The other seven members of the secondary with NFL experience have 21 INTs between them. Clinton-Dix will take some curious angles and miss some tackles, but he brings some talent to the position that the Cowboys have not had in years.

Woods has been a full-time starter the past two seasons and is entering a contract year. If he can continue on the same trajectory he has had, the Cowboys could have a good 1-2 punch at safety.

The Cowboys have flirted with the idea of giving corners, such as Awuzie and Robinson, some looks at safety, but they will allow Thompson and Wilson a chance to show they can be counted on this summer.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
teh biggest question right now is can the coaches fix this? its not just replacing parts , or this and that. you gotta stream line the defense and have it playing as one piece. our defenses have always been playing by each piece and usually just "go out there and do your best" we gotta tell them, go out there and play your part" dont worry about the little things bring the defense down to bare. Get after the Qb stop running past him, look for the ball not just the defender, make a play, dont just be happy the down is over" we gotta get out there and play defense and not just for pay checks.

Garrets theory was always "your players play for themselves and not the unit" the Unit has got to go out there and play defense, We gotta stop the ball when we gotta stop the ball, not "go out there and stop the ball but if you dont, stop it again and if you dont, well a field goal is better than a TD", no you get your butt out there and stop it when you can and when you have to.

also and this is going to be huge, this is the BIGGEST weakness of Garrett, go after other teams weaknesses. Garrett would hate that, if a player went down, Garrett wouldnt contest the back up, he would play around it. go after that back up, put him on notice, get the team fired up to put him down. if a back up QB or tackle comes on, go after them, load it up, make them scare to come off that bench.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
DE might be worse on paper but it could end up being better. DeMarcus Lawrence can and probably will come close to replacing Quinn simply by having a bounce-back to his down year. If so, then what you have to replace from last year’s level of defense is not Quinn’s 11 sacks, cause Lawrence does that, but Lawrence’s down year of 5.5 sacks. I think between Crawford, Gregory, Aldon Smith, and Bradley Anae, you’ll find someone who can chip in 5.5 sacks.

Factor in that we may have added three defensive tackles (McCoy, Poe and Gallimore) who are better than the best tackle we lost (Collins), plus we return the incumbent Antwuan Woods, I think we are likely to be markedly better on the DL.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In 2018 when we had one of the best defenses in the league we only had a rotation of Lawrence/Crawford/Gregory at DE. If Smith/Gregory can give us anything, even just like 8 combined sacks, we'll be ok.

And 8 combined sacks is probably conservative if you throw in Anae.

p1_

DCC 4Life
who will start at left CB between Brown and Diggs?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I assume Awuzie and Brown start at corner with Lewis as the spot corner. I expect Lewis gets the third CB snap count even though i think he’s better than Brown (and maybe Awuzie) until i see proven otherwise that the staff will use him right. Diggs May take a job but he may take time to develop. The track record of second round CBs being good right away seems spotty.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In 2018 when we had one of the best defenses in the league ...
I think they were good at times, but being one of the best statistically was not an impressive feat nor was it helpful down the stretch against balanced offenses.

Stats really throw off how much this is a game of matchups. I really don’t value defensive performances against bad or average teams. Hey we ripped off a stretch of wins that year and I’m proud the team did not give up after being below .500.

But games vs Philly, Indy, and the debacle in LA down the stretch are truer indicators to me than the stats racked up against the Detroit’s and Washington’s of the world.

That DL you claimed should be what we hope for was one of the biggest reasons we failed so spectacularly in the end.

We have built a roster that might gel into a solid team if some question marks like LVE, Gregory, both Smiths, the rookies, Poe’s health, Lawrence bounce-back, and McCoys age come through.

But with the kind of team built on the other side of the ball, I’m only going to be happy if we can consistently hold up against playoff-caliber offenses and not the occasional miracle vs the Saints we always seem to hail as the reason our defense is elite.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think they were good at times, but being one of the best statistically was not an impressive feat nor was it helpful down the stretch against balanced offenses.

Stats really throw off how much this is a game of matchups. I really don’t value defensive performances against bad or average teams. Hey we ripped off a stretch of wins that year and I’m proud the team did not give up after being below .500.

But games vs Philly, Indy, and the debacle in LA down the stretch are truer indicators to me than the stats racked up against the Detroit’s and Washington’s of the world.

That DL you claimed should be what we hope for was one of the biggest reasons we failed so spectacularly in the end.

We have built a roster that might gel into a solid team if some question marks like LVE, Gregory, both Smiths, the rookies, Poe’s health, Lawrence bounce-back, and McCoys age come through.

But with the kind of team built on the other side of the ball, I’m only going to be happy if we can consistently hold up against playoff-caliber offenses and not the occasional miracle vs the Saints we always seem to hail as the reason our defense is elite.
Seattle had one of the top rushing attacks in the league, plus Wilson, and they held them to barely even 200 yards of offense in the playoffs until the last garbage time drive where they gave up like 80 yards with 2 minutes left up 10.

That defense wasn't dominant, mostly because of the lack of turnovers, but I wouldn't brush them off as average just because they had a shitty game against the Colts and then a completely confounding game against the Rams in the playoffs where they gave up about 300 yards rushing after having one of the top ranked run defenses in the league.

They were dominant against Seattle, really good on the road against Atlanta and Philly, the Saints obviously, and even in that second Eagles game they had given up 9 points with 3 minutes left and in total only gave up 250 or so yards. That game was pretty flukey and should've been an easy win. Against Tampa they scored a TD and gave up 13 points until a garbage time TD drive up 14.

Long story short, if we have a similar defensive performance this year I'm expecting 11-12 wins at least.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Long story short, if we have a similar defensive performance this year I'm expecting 11-12 wins at least.
We never seem to be able to sync both sides of the ball.

I'm hoping the two defensive tackles stay healthy through 16 games and (hopefully) playoffs. I hope Clinton-Dix gets over his tackling problems. I wish I could be more sure. What would be ideal is if we had that same magic the 1991 Washington team did.

That defense gelled, having added Plan B FA's over a two year period like Jumpy Geathers, Matt Millen, Brad Edwards, Fred Stokes, Danny Copeland, Eric Williams, and Tim Johnson to solidify weaknesses and transform the defense into a dominant unit. Joe Gibbs and Richie Petitbon coached that team really well, especially the defensive substitutions and sub packages.

They went 14-2 and would have gone undefeated had Alvin Harper not caught a Hail Mary on them.

Washington already had veterans like Darrell Green, Charles Mann, and Wilber Marshall in place, but the only one under 30 was Marshall who was 29.

Modern FA allows teams to add more pieces more quickly, but hard to say I've ever seen a team use FA better than that 1991 Washington team.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Having George Edwards coordinating sub-packages/nickel/dime defenses could be a big boost. Between him and Nolan there is alot of experience coaching high-level LB's (Kendricks/Barr, Demario Davis) and my hope is that they can maximize Jaylon and help boost LVE into the elite group of LB's, because ultimately I think the defense kind of hinges on how our LB's play, presuming the DL or secondary doesn't completely fall apart.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Having George Edwards coordinating sub-packages/nickel/dime defenses could be a big boost. Between him and Nolan there is alot of experience coaching high-level LB's (Kendricks/Barr, Demario Davis) and my hope is that they can maximize Jaylon and help boost LVE into the elite group of LB's, because ultimately I think the defense kind of hinges on how our LB's play, presuming the DL or secondary doesn't completely fall apart.
The coaching will absolutely be the key. In Washington they phased all those personnel changes in over a couple of years. We are doing it all at once. Aldon, Poe, McCoy, Clinton Dix, Canady, Diggs, maybe Gallimore, Robinson, and Anae. Gotta throw Gregory into that mix should he return.

One difference in 2019 was LVE even prior to his neck injury definitely wasn't the same player who killed it as a rookie the year before. Jaylon got abused at times. So you are right, we need improvement here, but it's hard to see where it will come from.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
the talent will improve, however the story is what do the coaches do? they have to stream line this defense and have to do it quickly.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I assume Awuzie and Brown start at corner with Lewis as the spot corner. I expect Lewis gets the third CB snap count even though i think he’s better than Brown (and maybe Awuzie) until i see proven otherwise that the staff will use him right. Diggs May take a job but he may take time to develop. The track record of second round CBs being good right away seems spotty.
Im not a huge fan of Brown, and feel like Diggs has a superior pedigree and skillset to take what was Byron's spot opposite Chido. I hope his learning curve is relatively flat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A lot depends on the rush and of course more turnovers.

Top Bottom