Archer: Are signs pointing toward cornerback for Cowboys?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Lol. That wasn't my choice. I edited to answer NoDak about which Thomas. I would still take Sherman.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I just laugh when he goes off on his little anti CB tantrums. It amuses me to know that his heroes like Parcells and Rex Ryan placed such a high importance on CB play, as do other NFL minds. But hey... What do they know?
That's what always got me about the old Sam Kinison guy's hate for corners... Parcells has said pointedly how important they are, and he worshiped Parcells.

I think his old schtick rubbed off on a lot of people who took him too seriously.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just laugh when he goes off on his little anti CB tantrums. It amuses me to know that his heroes like Parcells and Rex Ryan placed such a high importance on CB play, as do other NFL minds. But hey... What do they know?
Parcells never really placed a high value on CBs. He was always about the front seven. He was winning Super Bowls with far less than top round CB choices.

Rex Ryan? Yeah, he is a corner whore because he has to be. You blitz that much, you better have some great man cornerbacks.

The deal with CBs is that it is simply the lowest of the big four things you need to win: A QB, A LT to protect them and a pass rusher. Yet a lot of people put it in the same grouping like it is equivalent.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Feh.

My issue is I don't believe in spending first round picks (and more if you trade up for one like an idiot) for a CB. I have yet to see a team take a first round CB and have that pay off in a title. The great defenses of all time were not corner-based, not by a long shot.

Yeah, you can go buy a Deion Sanders or Revis and get a title. But the idea that "you can never have enough corners" is just silly.

You need good corners, ones that function in your scheme. But I have yet to see a team draft CBs high and have it pay off. It is a hard position to evaluate and you need to know what to look for, ala Seattle. Even their corners are scheme specific and by design and of course, didn't require a huge investment in the draft.

Hell, even Belichick gave up and went and bought Revis after failing repeatedly trying to draft them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Feh.

My issue is I don't believe in spending first round picks (and more if you trade up for one like an idiot) for a CB. I have yet to see a team take a first round CB and have that pay off in a title. The great defenses of all time were not corner-based, not by a long shot.

Yeah, you can go buy a Deion Sanders or Revis and get a title. But the idea that "you can never have enough corners" is just silly.

You need good corners, ones that function in your scheme. But I have yet to see a team draft CBs high and have it pay off. It is a hard position to evaluate and you need to know what to look for, ala Seattle. Even their corners are scheme specific and by design and of course, didn't require a huge investment in the draft.

Hell, even Belichick gave up and went and bought Revis after failing repeatedly trying to draft them.
You are not helping.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Feh.

TLDR

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Parcells never really placed a high value on CBs. He was always about the front seven. He was winning Super Bowls with far less than top round CB choices.

Rex Ryan? Yeah, he is a corner whore because he has to be. You blitz that much, you better have some great man cornerbacks.

The deal with CBs is that it is simply the lowest of the big four things you need to win: A QB, A LT to protect them and a pass rusher. Yet a lot of people put it in the same grouping like it is equivalent.
Pretty much.

Anyone who says Parcells was a corner whore doesn't know what they are talking about.

Not that it would matter. Parcells was wrong about things in his career and he would be wrong about that.

Winning football games starts up front. That means the lines are more important than the skill positions, with the exception of QB.

And in that secondary, yeah, I'd still take a playmaking FS. They are so rare and dynamic, I think thats more valuable than a cover corner, unless it's Deion Sanders, and those types only come along once every decade or two.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Feh.

Nothing more to be said.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Feh.

QB, WR, LT, DT. Those positions drafted early result in impact players that fuel contenders.

RB can as well, though when this happens teams usually overplay them and throw their offense out of balance.

But it's fine to draft CB in the 1st round because the 1st is about finding the best talent. It would be stupid to draft a DT in the first "just because" if there's a more talented CB available.

No one argues that the CB position is more impactful than the DT on a football team, but that doesn't mean you don't draft them. It takes many talented players to make up a good football team.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, there are situations where the CB is the best value player in the first round.

But when you have to listen to team mouthpieces drone on and on about how we have to give up our third and fifth round pick to move up to 21 for Kevin Johnson (when Peters is still on the board no less!) because OMG WE HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT AT CB!!!! it makes you want to fucking beat someone's ass for even suggesting it.

Moronic.

The position is not important enough like some football simpletons apparently think. Yeah let's give away half our draft.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, there are situations where the CB is the best value player in the first round.

But when you have to listen to team mouthpieces drone on and on about how we have to give up our third and fifth round pick to move up to 21 for Kevin Johnson (when Peters is still on the board no less!) because OMG WE HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT AT CB!!!! it makes you want to fucking beat someone's ass for even suggesting it.

Moronic.

The position is not important enough like some football simpletons apparently think. Yeah let's give away half our draft.
Need a valium? :art

Top Bottom