Archer: Are signs pointing toward cornerback for Cowboys?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
No, I've seen UConn play enough to know I have no interest in any of them.

Garbage.
I tend to agree with you in that I certainly don't see 1st or 2nd round talent in Jones. He has the physical tools but he's not an instinctive player.

I look at him and I see a Sterling Moore kind of player. I think he can be a solid DB in your secondary but I don't see him making many impact plays.

He's not quite garbage, though. Garbage is Mo Claiborne.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Once again you are saying things that nobody has said, I have never made the claim that the OL is completely
responsible for anything so why do keep saying this?

You have created a complete strawman argument claiming people were saying Murray could be replaced by anybody which is completely false and now you claim that I said the the OL is responsible for everything.

And this from the guy who was bellyaching about me making false claims about what he said........Oh the irony.
Stifil it Edith.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tend to agree with you in that I certainly don't see 1st or 2nd round talent in Jones. He has the physical tools but he's not an instinctive player.
I can honestly say I never watched UConn this past year. I have no idea about the guy. It scares me how he has risen after his workouts. I hope that if we draft him it's because his tape looks that good and it just took further review after his workout. I mean he played DB on a terrible college team. I don't think anyone was paying much attention to them.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Dallas has 2 pass rushers. One of which has less than a season under his belt and the other slated to miss most of the season as it stands now. It seems foolish to spend a high draft pick on a corner if the pass rush isnt addressed. What is your solution?
I was just laughing at the gif

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I can honestly say I never watched UConn this past year. I have no idea about the guy. It scares me how he has risen after his workouts. I hope that if we draft him it's because his tape looks that good and it just took further review after his workout. I mean he played DB on a terrible college team. I don't think anyone was paying much attention to them.
I think I watched part of a UConn game last year. So I didn't see much of the guy during the season. Honestly I never heard of him until people started geeking out over his workout.

After the combine I pulled up his highlight videos, and I use the term 'highlight' loosely, and there was nothing there. I didn't see any "Wow" plays. His physical traits don't leap out at you and don't appear to transfer over to the football field. He looks like another one of those workout warriors who will be drafted too high due to his combine numbers.

I just hope we're not the idiots who burn a 1st or 2nd round pick on this guy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We need interior pressure more than anything.
This is the key to defensive football. Concave the OL and utterly stuff the run-- sacks and pressure will come. The opposing offense suffers from a lack of choices as much as anything else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
After the combine I pulled up his highlight videos, and I use the term 'highlight' loosely, and there was nothing there.
Yeah on the little I have seen on him online I don't really like his instincts. He looks a step slow to react to things and his balls skills don't look good. I did see an INT against Michigan where he was able to get his head around properly but he was actually beat on the play and only got the INT because it was a badly under thrown ball by Gardner.

Obviously I have only seen a tiny glimpse of what most scouts have seen on the guy but I don't get it either.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Oh. Sorry.
I wasn't even following the discussion, but to answer your question, I'd take the biggest impact defensive player I could. If you mean would I take passrusher off the board because of Hardy and Lawrence, then no I wouldn't. I'm not sold on Lawrence at all, and Hardy is a lunatic.

But I'm also not in the Hate Cornerbacks Club like most of this board seems to be. It is an important position.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wasn't even following the discussion, but to answer your question, I'd take the biggest impact defensive player I could. If you mean would I take passrusher off the board because of Hardy and Lawrence, then no I wouldn't. I'm not sold on Lawrence at all, and Hardy is a lunatic.

But I'm also not in the Hate Cornerbacks Club like most of this board seems to be. It is an important position.
Thank you.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Its an important position in the sense that all positions are important, maybe.

As far as defense, the front 7 is significantly more important. And I'll take a star FS over a star CB any day. So that leaves it pretty far down the list.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh god.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I just laugh when he goes off on his little anti CB tantrums. It amuses me to know that his heroes like Parcells and Rex Ryan placed such a high importance on CB play, as do other NFL minds. But hey... What do they know?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I saw that post and thought surely we wouldn't have to go through this again. I could not be anymore wrong.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Its an important position in the sense that all positions are important, maybe.

As far as defense, the front 7 is significantly more important. And I'll take a star FS over a star CB any day. So that leaves it pretty far down the list.
That's like preferring a star OG over a star LT. I favor the front 7 but 99/100 take a CB over FS all day.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's like preferring a star OG over a star LT. I favor the front 7 but 99/100 take a CB over FS all day.
Yeah, that was stupid. You see teams all the time moving a guy that can't cut it at corner to safety. Has there ever been a time somebody moved a failed safety to corner?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Richard Sherman? He was always a corner. And who is Thomas?
I'm thinking he is asking who would you rather have out of those two.

Earl Thomas.

Top Bottom