Agent: Josh Brent to retire

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hoping for things I care about to fail just seems like a miserable life to live. I really hope my car blows up tomorrow and my house burns down too...
The problem is, it's hoping for something that's impossible. I can hope that I can eat cheeseburgers every day and not get fat, but it's not gonna happen.

Same thing as hoping Jerry will stumble into a Super Bowl title. Instead, I hope he realizes the error of his ways and changes, or, in the alternative, dies.

junk

Not So New Member
That is one of the things that sucks about being a Cowboys fan right now. Say Jerry does stumble into a Super Bowl (or even a couple playoff wins), it will just justify what he is going and he'll keep doing it. Might go another 20 years before you get a chance again.

I mean, he thinks they are close now when they can't get in the playoffs, so imagine if they actually did get close to the Super Bowl?

I want them to win every week and cheer for them week in and week out. However, there are definitely times where you can just tell they are stuck in neutral and nothing will change organizationally until things get really bad. As in multiple losing seasons and empty seats. Depressing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is, it's hoping for something that's impossible. I can hope that I can eat cheeseburgers every day and not get fat, but it's not gonna happen.

Same thing as hoping Jerry will stumble into a Super Bowl title. Instead, I hope he realizes the error of his ways and changes, or, in the alternative, dies.
Once upon a time he stumbled into three :unsure

I guess there is hope for your cheeseburger diet.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Once upon a time he stumbled into three :unsure

I guess there is hope for your cheeseburger diet.
The behavior he was exhibiting at the time was the equivalent of eating celery. He had a football guy and didn't interfere... the way things ought to be.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Because if he doesn't fail, then he will get just enough wins to keep filling the seats, and mediocrity will continue. It will take some serious losing for him to make any changes. And, he ain't winning no SBs on his own.
Thank you sir, for saving me the typing.

:hattip

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is one of the things that sucks about being a Cowboys fan right now. Say Jerry does stumble into a Super Bowl (or even a couple playoff wins), it will just justify what he is going and he'll keep doing it. Might go another 20 years before you get a chance again.

I mean, he thinks they are close now when they can't get in the playoffs, so imagine if they actually did get close to the Super Bowl?

I want them to win every week and cheer for them week in and week out. However, there are definitely times where you can just tell they are stuck in neutral and nothing will change organizationally until things get really bad. As in multiple losing seasons and empty seats. Depressing.
Yep.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

The difference in your scenario is that you control your Destiny with cheeseburgers.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This line of thinking baffles me. Why would you wish nothing but fail for the guy running the team you follow? I understand not liking the guy, but HOPING he fails? If he fails, your favorite team fails.
I don't like it when he gets away with doing something stupid one time out of 100 because those rare exceptions prove to him that he's doing things the right way.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't like it when he gets away with doing something stupid one time out of 100 because those rare exceptions prove to him that he's doing things the right way.
Exactly. I know he's doing things the wrong way and won't have success as long as he does it like that. Hoping for an occasional good outcome, if it happens, merely re-inforces the bad behavior.

And hoping that the bad behavior yields a positive outcome is like hoping the sun won't rise tomorrow.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. I know he's doing things the wrong way and won't have success as long as he does it like that. Hoping for an occasional good outcome, if it happens, merely re-inforces the bad behavior.

And hoping that the bad behavior yields a positive outcome is like hoping the sun won't rise tomorrow.
That's a bad analogy. Bad behavior does yield positive outcomes in real life. Obviously not as often as good behavior, but it certainly does sometimes. On the other hand, the odds of the sun not rising tomorrow are basically 0%.

data

Forbes #1
That's a bad analogy. Bad behavior does yield positive outcomes in real life. Obviously not as often as good behavior, but it certainly does sometimes. On the other hand, the odds of the sun not rising tomorrow are basically 0%.
Here we go...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Witness list in Brent case forming

Updated: July 19, 2013, 3:16 PM ET
Associated Press

DALLAS -- Six current or former Dallas Cowboys players are on prosecutors' witness list for the intoxication manslaughter trial of former lineman Josh Brent.

Safeties Danny McCray and Barry Church and cornerback Orlando Scandrick are listed as potential witnesses. Also on the list filed Thursday are retired safety Gerald Sensabaugh; former cornerback Michael Jenkins, now with the Raiders; and fullback Lawrence Vickers, who was released last week.
Brent is charged in a December car crash that killed practice squad player Jerry Brown. Authorities say Brent's blood-alcohol level was twice the legal limit.

His trial is slated to begin Sept. 23, the day after the Cowboys play the St. Louis Rams.

A Cowboys spokesman did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hoping for it to rain in the Gobi Desert tomorrow then.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, the odds of Jerry winning a Super Bowl while doing it the wrong way is like 1%.

I'm gonna hope that he instead hires a football guy, which he at least did with Parcells in the past, and he almost did it with Dan Reeves a couple years back. If it takes a couple losing seasons to accomplish, that's the better thing to hope for.

junk

Not So New Member
Well, the odds of Jerry winning a Super Bowl while doing it the wrong way is like 1%.

I'm gonna hope that he instead hires a football guy, which he at least did with Parcells in the past, and he almost did it with Dan Reeves a couple years back. If it takes a couple losing seasons to accomplish, that's the better thing to hope for.
I don't know that they were really looking at Reeves as a personnel guy. I think Phillips recognized Garrett had some shortcomings as a playcaller due to inexperience and wanted to bring in some training wheels. Which, as it turns out, is exactly what Garrett needed (and still needs). Someone who understands the ebb and flow of playcalling, how your playcalling as an OC can impact the defense, how to change and adapt your offense depending upon what the defense is doing, etc.

Reeves would have been perfect in that role, but I suspect Garrett was insulted by that and had Jerry kill it with the time clock bull shit.

Top Bottom