Additional racist comments attributed to Clippers' Donald Sterling released

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When the owners don't get what they want, they lock out the players. The players are doing the same thing here, for moral and social reasons.
Owners are owners. Players are employees. They do not have the privilege of that decision. No more than you have the privilege to decide whether you will come to work. The issue here is not about who is morally right it is about who has the right to make decisions about team and league functions. It's a given that Sterling is a racist but he doesn't forfeit his right to make decisions of ownership nor does it convey rights to players to over rule his ownership rights.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Owners are owners. Players are employees. They do not have the privilege of that decision. No more than you have the privilege to decide whether you will come to work. The issue here is not about who is morally right it is about who has the right to make decisions about team and league functions. It's a given that Sterling is a racist but he doesn't forfeit his right to make decisions of ownership nor do it convey tights to players to over rule his ownership rights.
The players can boycott...just like they have had strikes in the past. They are employees, but yeah, they can boycott.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The players can boycott...just like they have had strikes in the past. They are employees, but yeah, they can boycott.
Of course they can boycott but at the risk of their job or breach of contract.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If he was voted out by the owners, then he can sue and do whatever he wants. He should walk away though, him being in the league weakens it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If he was voted out by the owners, then he can sue and do whatever he wants. He should walk away though, him being in the league weakens it.
I don't disagree with that but he has decided to litigate the matter so that's apparently what will decide the issue.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Read LTs post...he says just that. "They do not have the privilege of that decision."
I said they don't have the right to boycott without being subject to possible repercussions

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not what you said, but it's not important.
Go back and read the follow up sentence which said no more than you have the right to decide if you will come to work. If you don't show up you are AWOL. Sure you can not show up but there is a penalty involved.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Go back and read the follow up sentence which said no more than you have the right to decide if you will come to work. If you don't show up you are AWOL. Sure you can not show up but there is a penalty involved.
Wonderful. I am bowing out of this one.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The NBA should just go to the mattresses with Sterling, dissolve the Clippers, declare the team free agents (taking the position that the players' contracts were with a defunct franchise, not with Sterling) then let him sue and keep the case tied up in the court system until he dies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The NBA should just go to the mattresses with Sterling, dissolve the Clippers, declare the team free agents (taking the position that the players' contracts were with a defunct franchise, not with Sterling) then let him sue and keep the case tied up in the court system until he dies.
I am not sure they can make that move. The team is the property of Sterling and the players are under contract to him. That's what will likely be part of the litigation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

D

Deuce

If the vote is public he'll lose in a landslide. If it's not, it might be closer than the players and league want it to be.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If for some reason this does not get the required votes the backlash over the entire league would be crazy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Even with the required vote it will be challenged in my opinion.

Top Bottom