5th Round Pick: Damone Clark, ILB, LSU

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McGinn old man grumpy scout:

5. DAMONE CLARK, Louisiana State (6-2 ½, 239, 4.60, 3-7): After backing up Devin White in 2018 and Patrick Queen in ’19, he started in the middle the past two years. “Big, long-armed (33), athletic and fast,” said one scout. “His instincts are a touch off. They were off two years ago and improved since then. Very productive; he was a bright light in a dark room at LSU this past season. As the season sunk he just kept playing and got better. Reluctantly, he could do it (wear the green dot).” At the combine, one of the Cowboys’ team doctors diagnosed him with a herniated cervical disc. On March 24, he underwent a fusion through the front of his neck and won’t play in 2022. “There’s no way he goes first- or second-round now,” the scout said. “He’s going to sink like a rock.” Finished with 249 tackles (23 ½ for loss) and 10 sacks. “He was the No. 1 (linebacker),” said a second scout. “Not as talented as Devin White but he was all over the place. Just makes plays. Explosive as hell. He can cover and blitz. He’s a Pro Bowl linebacker. He’ll stack. Strikes people. They man him up a lot. He was amazing.” Wonderlic was 9. “Good man (cover) on running backs,” said a third scout. “Inconsistent tackler in space more due to technique than skill. Can have delayed reactions at times. Probably can play all three positions but you might be a little hesitant to put him at Mike based on the mental. Very talented. He’ll start.” From Baton Rouge, La. “I guess you could draft him late or sign him as a college free agent and pay him for the year and see how the surgery goes,” a fourth scout said. “Just redshirt him. But a linebacker with a fused neck? I don’t know.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If he was healthy I wouldn't have batted an eye at taking him in the 2nd.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If he was healthy I wouldn't have batted an eye at taking him in the 2nd.
Of course.

The surgery he had is actually a lot like the one my wife had where they go in from the throat.

Granted, she is not a world class athlete, but she ain't the same.

And it is kind of interesting that the Cowboys' team doctor is the one that diagnosed his condition.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Of course.

The surgery he had is actually a lot like the one my wife had where they go in from the throat.

And it is kind of interesting that the Cowboys' team doctor is the one that diagnosed his condition.
Even if we get literally nothing from him I'm good spending a 5th on a 25% gamble that he gives us 5-7 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course.

Yeah I have no idea if he will have the neck mobility to play in the NFL after the surgery. Obviously what NFL players go through with these things and rehab is different then Joe Blow on the street. I certainly think he will recover and play. I just don't know if he will be the same player or not.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
McGinn old man grumpy scout:

5. DAMONE CLARK, Louisiana State (6-2 ½, 239, 4.60, 3-7): After backing up Devin White in 2018 and Patrick Queen in ’19, he started in …
man him up a lot. He was amazing.” Wonderlic was 9. “Good man (cover) on running backs,” said a third scout. “Inconsistent tackler in space more due to technique than skill. Can have delayed reactions at times. Probably can play all three positions but you might be a little hesitant to put
We just draft a fuse-neck, stupid mofo?

Oh well, it was a 5th.

CHAMP BOY

Not So New Member
Guys!!! I thought Stephen Jones was just talking BS about Damone to play this year but he is really going to play. Damone is going to be a star in this league, he has the speed, size and physicality to be a star linebacker. He knows he has to wait 6 months to go thru rehab but he is saying he feels GREAT and he said, "I expecting to be playing at the end of the year"! Think about it, LVJ, Parson, Cox and Clark at linebackers, with size, speed and that physicality to this defense.....crazy. Clark had over 100 tackles last year and he is really a standup guy. We have a new STAR on our defense. Damne Clarke was a second round prospect, some football analyst had him over Nakobi Dean. Dean was great because he had big linemans in front of him so he could get to the ball carrier. Dean had a slow 40 time(4.60), and he is short at 5'10. Damone is made like Parson, Damone is almost 6'3, 229 lbs and run a 4.5..... his measurables are elite. Watch this video:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Guys!!! I thought Stephen Jones was just talking BS about Damone to play this year but he is really going to play. Damone is going to be a star in this league, he has the speed, size and physicality to be a star linebacker. He knows he has to wait 6 months to go thru rehab but he is saying he feels GREAT and he said, "I expecting to be playing at the end of the year"! Think about it, LVJ, Parson, Cox and Clark at linebackers, with size, speed and that physicality to this defense.....crazy. Clark had over 100 tackles last year and he is really a standup guy. We have a new STAR on our defense. Damne Clarke was a second round prospect, some football analyst had him over Nakobi Dean. Dean was great because he had big linemans in front of him so he could get to the ball carrier. Dean had a slow 40 time(4.60), and he is short at 5'10. Damone is made like Parson, Damone is almost 6'3, 229 lbs and run a 4.5..... his measurables are elite. Watch this video:

Even if he plays this season, I wouldn't expect much from a rookie who has never had a pro off-season, had no training camp or mini camps, and won't even be practicing as a professional until mid season at the earliest.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Even if he plays this season, I wouldn't expect much from a rookie who has never had a pro off-season, had no training camp or mini camps, and won't even be practicing as a professional until mid season at the earliest.
Yeah, let’s tap the brakes just a little. This is a slow burn.

Genghis Khan

Yeah, let’s tap the brakes just a little. This is a slow burn.

Yep. And I didn't even mention the part about coming off a major injury. It's a very difficult circumstance to try and hit the ground running.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. And I didn't even mention the part about coming off a major injury. It's a very difficult circumstance to try and hit the ground running.
Good news is he sounds like a good, really talented young man who will work his butt off. If he doesn't do anything as a rookie it's ok. Anything he gives us is a bonus his rookie year in my opinion.

Genghis Khan

Good news is he sounds like a good, really talented young man who will work his butt off. If he doesn't do anything as a rookie it's ok. Anything he gives us is a bonus his rookie year in my opinion.

Yep. Maybe he comes back and gets his feet wet this season. It's unlikely to be impactful to our 2022 season though.

2023 is when I start to get intrigued. Considering it was one of our 5thmas picks, it's fine.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe some ST contribution this year, middle to late season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Maybe he comes back and gets his feet wet this season. It's unlikely to be impactful to our 2022 season though.

2023 is when I start to get intrigued. Considering it was one of our 5thmas picks, it's fine.
I hope he shows enough that LVE can walk in free agency and we have 0 concern for replacing him on the roster. Cox is the redshirt I'm ready to be a big piece this year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Like Simp said, even if we get nothing for him, it's worth the risk to drop a late round pick for the chance at the reward.

CHAMP BOY

Not So New Member
I know the LVE had the same type of surgery as Clark and he played with no problem so this is a REAL GEM for us.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know the LVE had the same type of surgery as Clark and he played with no problem so this is a REAL GEM for us.
Yeah I just hope he isn't a lesser player because of it. I have full faith he will recover and play football. But without the injury I think he is every bit the prospect as Quay Walker. You watch the two and Clark looks way more instinctual and natural out there.

I just don't know if the surgery messes with the guys neck and back mobility at all long term.

Top Bottom