3rd round pick: Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I sure hope this kid meets everyone’s expectations…which are pretty damn high. I have watched about as much of him as I could since the draft. He is a talker.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sure hope this kid meets everyone’s expectations…which are pretty damn high. I have watched about as much of him as I could since the draft. He is a talker.
Yeah I think there are high expectations for a third round pick. But that's not a bad round for receivers either. So we will see but he looks like a good fit. We like talkers at receiver, which may be why Cooper is gone.

p1_

DCC 4Life
the image reminds me of OBJ. Lets hope the player doesnt.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Irvin was the biggest talker on the planet, and look that where it landed him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Irvin was the biggest talker on the planet, and look that where it landed him.
The interesting thing is that the more you watch Tolbert, he pushes off a lot, just like Irvin. I foresee OPIs in his future.

• Dislike
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The interesting thing is that the more you watch Tolbert, he pushes off a lot, just like Irvin. I foresee OPIs in his future.
I'm not so sure about that. The league has made a concentrated effort to lean offense. Not many OPIs called anymore. Less than even in Irvin's day.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not so sure about that. The league has made a concentrated effort to lean offense. Not many OPIs called anymore. Less than even in Irvin's day.
I was not talking about a general officiating trend. Just the oh, you know, every now and then calls, like Gallup.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I admittedly haven't watched tons of his highlights, but I don't really see what the hype is about with this guy. Sub-200 lb, 4.5 23 year old. Hopefully he's a dependable, reliable player. I don't see some huge playmaker.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I admittedly haven't watched tons of his highlights, but I don't really see what the hype is about with this guy. Sub-200 lb, 4.5 23 year old. Hopefully he's a dependable, reliable player. I don't see some huge playmaker.
Eh Tolbert ran a 4.49 forty. Gallup ran a 4.51 forty. Amari Cooper ran a 4.42 forty. Ceedee Lamb ran a 4.5 forty. Ironically all those guys are also 6'1"- 6'2". Talk about a type.

Forties are nice and all but they are a small piece of the story for a WR. It's all about acceleration, change of direction and ball skills. A guy who can separate is not always the guy with the fastest forty in fact it rarely is. Tolbert is really good at getting in and out of his breaks and shows explosion. He also has excellent ball skills. I'm not saying Tolbert is going to be special but he certainly has Gallup like skills.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Eh Tolbert ran a 4.49 forty. Gallup ran a 4.51 forty. Amari Cooper ran a 4.42 forty. Ceedee Lamb ran a 4.5 forty. Ironically all those guys are also 6'1"- 6'2". Talk about a type.

Forties are nice and all but they are a small piece of the story for a WR. It's all about acceleration, change of direction and ball skills. A guy who can separate is not always the guy with the fastest forty in fact it rarely is. Tolbert is really good at getting in and out of his breaks and shows explosion. He also has excellent ball skills. I'm not saying Tolbert is going to be special but he certainly has Gallup like skills.
Yeah, Cooper Kupp runs a 4.6+

It’s about the fundamentals and route running before speed even factors.

jazzcat22

Not So New Member
Can he get downfield, quickly, and stretch the field. This team never seems to be able to do that. Even with players with supposed speed like Travon Austin.
Also miss the bigger taller types for end zone threats. They seem to like the 6 foot players for some reason.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I was not talking about a general officiating trend. Just the oh, you know, every now and then calls, like Gallup.

Yeah, the Academy Award performance by Jalen Ramsey sold that one.

But you can't f'ing extend your arm. It's super clear.

So don't expect to run a simple go route pattern on a faster player without making some kind of move.

Spaulding

DCC 4Life
Definitely a play maker. Can't wait to see this guy make plays. He was ranked 14th vs ZUT according to PFF so he can turn dump off passes into big yardage.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fat Mike talked a lot today about how Prescott gets some say on the receivers.

So far, this one ain't looking so good. Which is disappointing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Fat Mike talked a lot today about how Prescott gets some say on the receivers.

So far, this one ain't looking so good. Which is disappointing.
What ain't looking good, Tolbert? You're disappointed before he even reports to his first training camp?

• Haha
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom