2024 Random NFL Stuff Thread…

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The NFL just approved the new kickoff rule.

I still don't see it having much impact on making the kickoff relevant again because most NFL kickers have the ability to kick the ball through the end zone. So you're still going to see a ton of touchbacks.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I still don't see it having much impact on making the kickoff relevant again because most NFL kickers have the ability to kick the ball through the end zone. So you're still going to see a ton of touchbacks.
But, -5 yards, right? It's dumb.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Fassel got his way. It will change the types of players on teams.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

A touchback would give teams the ball on the 30 instead of the 25, I think teams would rather roll the dice on making a play on the kickoff and pinning a team short of the 30.

1bigfan13

Staff member
But, -5 yards, right? It's dumb.
Nope, they are still going to kickoff from the 35 yard line. Which means tons of balls will go sailing through the back of the end zone.

They needed to back it up 5 or 10 yards so more balls will be in play.

Cotton

Staff member
A touchback would give teams the ball on the 30 instead of the 25, I think teams would rather roll the dice on making a play on the kickoff and pinning a team short of the 30.
This is their "fix"?

1bigfan13

Staff member
This is a good summary for skim readers such as myself.

NEW NFL KICKOFF PROPOSAL.

*Kicking Team: The 10 players cannot move until the ball hits the ground or player in the landing zone or the end zone.

*Receiving Team: All players in the setup zone cannot move until the kick has hit the ground or a player in the landing zone or the end zone.

*Any kick that hits in the Landing Zone (goal line to 20 yard line) must be returned.

*Any kick hits before the landing zone: Touchback to the 40 (as if it went out of bounds).

*Kick hits the Landing Zone, rolls into end zone and is downed: Touchback to the 20.

*Kick lands in end zone or goes out the back: Touchback to the 35.

*Onside Kick: 4th quarter begins, the team trailing has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials. Current onside kickoff rules would apply.

*No fair catch or signal is allowed. This proposal is just for one year only.

Cotton

Staff member
Receiving Team: All players in the setup zone cannot move until the kick has hit the ground or a player in the landing zone or the end zone.
So, if they do move would that be a false start penalty? Or have they even thought of that?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So, if they do move would that be a false start penalty? Or have they even thought of that?
I think they can "move", they just can't start toward the kicking team or cross that line until then.

The XFL (or whichever) did this same basic thing in games, so we can see what it looks like.

Are you not a fan? I thought it was a pretty good way to keep the kickoff but limit the big collisions.

Top Bottom