2024 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
They cut Tyron who is still playing at an elite level and are giving another chance to Steele who performed among the worst RTs in the league.

This is not how you get better.

SOMEONE MAKE IT MAKE SENSE
Umm, isn't the operative part that the escape triggers next year? Even if they kept Tyron, what would've been the net gain (on the books and on the field) if Steel were cut this year? :shrug

What are the realistic odds that Tyron would duplicate last season's performance? Given his recent history:

2020 - 2 games
2021 - 11 games
2022 - 4 games
2023 - 13 games

he's on track for an abbreviated season.

As long as we're laying odds, I'd put money on Steele's recovery over the stability of Tyron's health.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They cut Tyron who is still playing at an elite level and are giving another chance to Steele who performed among the worst RTs in the league.

This is not how you get better.

SOMEONE MAKE IT MAKE SENSE
The Joneses have recently invested a good bit of cash into their other ventures.

The sense is they are not devoting capital to football this year. ALL IN is meant for 2025.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
what would've been the net gain (on the books and on the field) if Steel were cut this year?
We get better. That's a pretty big net gain.

What are the realistic odds that Tyron would duplicate last season's performance? Given his recent history:

2020 - 2 games
2021 - 11 games
2022 - 4 games
2023 - 13 games

he's on track for an abbreviated season.

He's so good he's worth the risk. You could have made the same argument last year and yet it worked exactly as intended. You take chances on immense talents like him.

As long as we're laying odds, I'd put money on Steele's recovery over the stability of Tyron's health.

Recovery to what? He's had 1 good season out of 4. That's 25% of his career. I don't know about you but I don't like those odds.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Steele was among the worst RTs in the league last year. I'd take my chances with a draft pick, which would have been a much more viable option had we kept Tyron.
These clowns are great at trapping themselves in enormous, useless contracts in celebration of their own genius for having drafted said player or otherwise having found them like some kind of diamond in the rough (or so the hillbillies think). It's weird.

Forget about the QBs because I can understand how that position can hold a team hostage.

But ridiculous and in some cases preemptive extensions for Jaylon Smith, Terence Steele, and Michael Gallup have all backfired. Same with the enormous (at the time) contract for Dez just as he began to fade and monster extension for Zeke at the cusp of his decline. Even Troy Aikman signed an 80 million dollar deal with a 20 million dollar SB just before breaking his head on the Texas Stadium concrete-like turf.

With Lamb and Parsons they have opportunities to sign two super-stars.

Watch Dallas do it at the last instant in similarly self-crippling fashion.

Is the NFL broken, or is it just greedy, cheap, stupid Dallas?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Steele was among the worst RTs in the league last year. I'd take my chances with a draft pick, which would have been a much more viable option had we kept Tyron.
And was one of the better the year before. I'm not willing to say it wasn't a result of injury or since the whole line play was worse as a whole influenced by bad coaching. Good news is that they have an out in the contract after this season of he doesn't revert back to form.

Genghis Khan

And was one of the better the year before. I'm not willing to say it wasn't a result of injury or since the whole line play was worse as a whole influenced by bad coaching. Good news is that they have an out in the contract after this season of he doesn't revert back to form.

That was his only good year though. The evidence is piling up that the good season was the anomaly.

Obviously we are going to trot him out again this year so hopefully he does turn it around again.

My biggest concern with him though isn't that he isn't replicating his best season, it's that his floor is really really low, like one of the worst in the league, gonna get your QB killed low.

Genghis Khan

My point though is that the team is keeping their worst starting offensive lineman, and let one of their best offensive linemen walk, and both moves are about money but make the team worse.

It's frustrating.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
My point though is that the team is keeping their worst starting offensive lineman, and let one of their best offensive linemen walk, and both moves are about money but make the team worse.

It's frustrating.
I don't like Smith leaving either, but just saying it like that is kind of untruthful. Pretty sure age and injury history had something to do with it, too.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
There's no way I'm watching Mr. Clear Eye View talk about distractions.
No shit. The same guy who had a mock boardroom set up at the Ranch for his stupid sunglasses business.

Genghis Khan

I don't like Smith leaving either, but just saying it like that is kind of untruthful. Pretty sure age and injury history had something to do with it, too.
Not at all untruthful.

They made him an offer (according to Tyron himself), so they wanted him back.

He's not back because the Jets offered him more money.

So yes, it was ultimately about money (not saying that was the only issue).

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think age and durability played a bigger part in it than you think.
No doubt. This was never going to be a signing to build a team around.

But worst case you need an experienced swing tackle and best case this guy could be elite vs the league’s best pass rushers for a 3-4 game playoff stretch. You could also use a guy like that to coach the OT you’re going to draft and be insurance in case a draftee (say, Mims) is a total bust

Top Bottom