2024 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
The problem with Dak is that you have to surround him with so many pieces. The cowboys are great at drafting but so are the Eagles and 49ers. You cant have a QB with the highest cap hit in the league and a front office that consistently steps on their own toes.
The Cowboys (of late) have had decent drafts. The difference is they sit on draft choices (Exhibit A, Gallup) waiting and hoping. SF and Philly do the churn and burn approach —trades, FAs, move on from the mistakes. Jerry sits in his hands and gives mediocre players (Exhibit B, Steele) big contracts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Cowboys (of late) have had decent drafts. The difference is they sit on draft choices (Exhibit A, Gallup) waiting and hoping. SF and Philly do the churn and burn approach —trades, FAs, move on from the mistakes. Jerry sits in his hands and gives mediocre players (Exhibit B, Steele) big contracts.
Yep, the Eagles and 49ers are very active in improving their team. They draft ok but they aren't afraid to go add a star player via free agency or a trade if they think it will push them over the top. The Cowboys I think actually may draft better, have the better QB but they don't do anything else to be better. No trading for McCaffery or AJ Brown. No signing free agents like Hargrave.

Everything they do isn't gold but they never stop trying. Did trading for Chase Young work out? Not really. But they move on and keep adding. The Cowboys just sit pat. Like by sitting still and doing nothing they will somehow pass the other teams.

When Stephen was a child he must have taken the "slow and steady wins the race" very seriously.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is affirmed. We are stupid AND cheap.
This is what happens when you spend no money in an offseason. Your cap is made of signing bonuses handed out in previous years. If we redo Dak or Lamb or Parsons suddenly that number will jump from the signing bonus. We absolutely are cheap and we use the salary cap as a crutch to appear that we aren't.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
This is what happens when you spend no money in an offseason. Your cap is made of signing bonuses handed out in previous years. If we redo Dak or Lamb or Parsons suddenly that number will jump from the signing bonus. We absolutely are cheap and we use the salary cap as a crutch to appear that we aren't.
Except that doesn't answer the question of how other teams strike the balance, and assumes the fans are as stupid as the owners. The churn and burn approach, never being satisfied with the status quo—trades, FAs—requires a certain outlook and acumen in front office, both of which are in short supply in Dallas.

Sometimes the moves don't work out, but the fans know the FO is always trying to fill needs and get better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Except that doesn't answer the question of how other teams strike the balance, and assumes the fans are as stupid as the owners. The churn and burn approach, never being satisfied with the status quo—trades, FAs—requires a certain outlook and acumen in front office, both of which are in short supply in Dallas.

Sometimes the moves don't work out, but the fans know the FO is always trying to fill needs and get better.
Other teams strike a balance because they have a GM that knows they could be fired if they don't do those things. You know McCarthy has had 3 straight 12 win seasons but is sitting here on the brink of being fired for not doing anything in the playoffs. You know who isn't on the brink of being fired for not making the moves necessary to get over the hump? Our general manager. Because he has no risk of losing his job. He doesn't care about winning it all, he cares about winning enough to keep fans interested. The only way he is fired is if the team loses money to the extent that it's no longer profitable for the family. There is a different criteria of success for our GM compared to every other NFL team. Because our GM in reality is the owners kid.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Other teams strike a balance because they have a GM that knows they could be fired if they don't do those things. You know McCarthy has had 3 straight 12 win seasons but is sitting here on the brink of being fired for not doing anything in the playoffs. You know who isn't on the brink of being fired for not making the moves necessary to get over the hump? Our general manager. Because he has no risk of losing his job. He doesn't care about winning it all, he cares about winning enough to keep fans interested. The only way he is fired is if the team loses money to the extent that it's no longer profitable for the family. There is a different criteria of success for our GM compared to every other NFL team. Because our GM in reality is the owners kid.

This is such an enormous point for what holds this team back.

p1_

DCC 4Life
what determines the actual draft selection slotting of the multiple 5th rounders?

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Excellent point, and my stupidity for comparing the Dallas FO to other teams when there is no comparison.

In the past, I've taken comfort from the fact that Jerry will go to his grave without ever seeing another SB. Stephen looks so unhealthy and sallow that chance are he won't either. But now I'm not sure either one of them cares.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excellent point, and my stupidity for comparing the Dallas FO to other teams when there is no comparison.

In the past, I've taken comfort from the fact that Jerry will go to his grave without ever seeing another SB. Stephen looks so unhealthy and sallow that chance are he won't either. But now I'm not sure either one of them cares.
They don't care. Stephen especially. He won't come out and say it directly but he has let things slip that indicate otherwise in my opinion. When he says we haven't had success in the playoffs to "their satisfaction" it tells me we have had success to Jerry and Stephen's satisfaction.

He brags to the fact that players signing big contracts elsewhere just means he has done a good job with the draft. Totally ignoring that the ultimate success of a season is how you end it.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
They don't care. Stephen especially. He won't come out and say it directly but he has let things slip that indicate otherwise in my opinion. When he says we haven't had success in the playoffs to "their satisfaction" it tells me we have had success to Jerry and Stephen's satisfaction.

He brags to the fact that players signing big contracts elsewhere just means he has done a good job with the draft. Totally ignoring that the ultimate success of a season is how you end it.
Sturm claims it's the most profitable franchise in the NFL, if not in all of professional sports. They fill every seat on every home date, they're on national TV as much or more than any team, and the ratings are strong, Why should they care?

The other side of that is why should a player like Dak Prescott care? Why shouldn't he use his leverage to milk every last cent he can out of these greedy rubes?

Top Bottom