2024 Draft Big Boards, Position Rankings & Mocks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't figure, I know you dislike Trey Benson.

I actually have no problem with that draft at all. But I'd be really worried about the Oline.
That has to be fixed. Period.

There isn’t a back in this class that I would consider a priority.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That has to be fixed. Period.

There isn’t a back in this class that I would consider a priority.
That's the problem, you can't really draft BPA, you just have to find a starting Olineman. Which odds are will be an Olineman in the first. But it also sucks. If Thomas is there, a WR who I think has legit number one potential and is a top 15 talent in this draft, you may pass up for a need (WR is definitely a need but not to the extent of a starting center, Guard, or OT IMO).

Sneaky massive need is DT too. Ok, so you have Osa. But other than that it's Mazi and who else? I assume guys like Golston and Fehoko are going to play more end this year. Who the hell is your starting DT?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's the problem, you can't really draft BPA, you just have to find a starting Olineman. Which odds are will be an Olineman in the first. But it also sucks. If Thomas is there, a WR who I think has legit number one potential and is a top 15 talent in this draft, you may pass up for a need (WR is definitely a need but not to the extent of a starting center, Guard, or OT IMO).

Sneaky massive need is DT too. Ok, so you have Osa. But other than that it's Mazi and who else? I assume guys like Golston and Fehoko are going to play more end this year. Who the hell is your starting DT?
I'm just hoping Thomas or Verse doesn't somehow drop to 24 because there's almost no chance we go anywhere else except OL.

On the bright side, I'm not as worried anymore about them taking Wiggins if he's available.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
As we've said, just take him, put him at LG, and be done with the left side of your OL for the next decade or so. Even if it's a slight "overdraft."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If someone like Thomas Jr. or Latu fell I think I'd snap them up and then look to move up in the 2nd for Beebe.
If the Cowboys aren't going to fill holes I'd just look at this as a sacrificed year and just draft BPA. If you're hitting reset on the cap you just need cheap elite players. Fill holes next year. Would be slightly different if we made an attempt to fill out the roster but you can't solve 4 or 5 problems in a single draft.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If the Cowboys aren't going to fill holes I'd just look at this as a sacrificed year and just draft BPA. If you're hitting reset on the cap you just need cheap elite players. Fill holes next year. Would be slightly different if we made an attempt to fill out the roster but you can't solve 4 or 5 problems in a single draft.
Need to do that anyway. If you're drafting to fill needs, you start reaching. I'm only considering drafting for need if there are 2-3 players that are very close and one of them is a clear team need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Need to do that anyway. If you're drafting to fill needs, you start reaching. I'm only considering drafting for need if there are 2-3 players that are very close and one of them is a clear team need.
This is true but you have the ability to move around in a draft to manipulate that. Like hey, BPA is a WR, trade down and find a spot to take a Olineman instead.

Plus let's be honest, teams build their board around needs to some extent.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This is true but you have the ability to move around in a draft to manipulate that. Like hey, BPA is a WR, trade down and find a spot to take a Olineman instead.

Plus let's be honest, teams build their board around needs to some extent.
Easier said than done. People make trading down sound so easy. Well, you need to have a willing partner to trade. And that willing partner has to also be willing to not bend you over and run it in dry while agreeing to that trade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Easier said than done. People make trading down sound so easy. Well, you need to have a willing partner to trade. And that willing partner has to also be willing to not bend you over and run it in dry while agreeing to that trade.
Sure but you get an offer pretty frequently if there is a guy who clearly outclasses his draft position. If a top 15 talent for example falls to you, teams are likely to want to trade up for that top talent. I'd say most recent years we have had the option to trade down. Granted we haven't because need has mostly met the "next best" guys on our board but we could have. And honestly some of that is probably because we stack our board with need in mind. Everyone does it despite claiming not to.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I just don't think it's nearly as easy to do, with as many opportunities as you and some others think it is.

For instance, we all would think that a clear cut position that people would trade up for would be QB, right? Well, for example, think back to when Aaron Rodgers was drafted. People started wondering what the hell was happening when he fell past the 10 spot. Yet he fell all the way down to 24, where the Packers got him. Why were there not teams clamoring to trade up for him? Which would have allowed others the chance at these coveted trade downs? Now sure, you can say people just evaluated wrong. But this was the most important position on the field, where pretty much everyone said he was going to be a damn fine player in the NFL. Yet there was no trade down/up involving him. Weird...

My point to all that is you NEED a team to want to go up for a particular player before you can trade down. There is no telling when, where, why, or who they'll do it for. The only way you could facilitate a trade down out of the blue with a team that didn't approach you first is if you are willing to be raped, and raped hard in doing so. When people get pissed that a team doesn't trade down, when they couldn't possibly know if one was even offered, it is ignorant.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point to all that is you NEED a team to want to go up for a particular player before you can trade down.
Yes although you see teams trading up in the draft before they know who will be available all the time. The Vikes just did it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yes although you see teams trading up in the draft before they know who will be available all the time. The Vikes just did it.
All the time?

And just my opinion, but trading up before you know what is there is RETARDED. I hope we never do it.

Top Bottom