2024 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah, am I the only one who thinks he's fallen off too much? He's not what he was a couple of years ago, and I'm afraid he's going to disappoint unless it's a relatively cheap deal.

Yeah I'd only do it for cheap. He's definitely fallen off but I think there's still something left in the tank for the next couple of years. I wouldn't plan on giving him 300 carries but I think he could be very effective in a 1 - 2 punch paired with a good rookie.

If nothing else he'd bring a toughness that the offense doesn't otherwise have.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder what the market will be for him though. He might want to break the bank, but what team would do it given his age and the position in general?
The only way he gets a big deal if it is a team that has to spend to get over the cap minimum and is trying to sell tickets. Henry is easy to sell to Joe fans as "see we are trying to win, buy season tickets"

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wonder what the market will be for him though. He might want to break the bank, but what team would do it given his age and the position in general?
Yeah, I kind of doubt anyone gives him a huge deal. Maybe everyone else will be wary of the age also. But it only takes one team to do it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Again, with a QB like Will Levis .. don’t ya think the box was stacked ??? I’m sure that is a key contributor to this years slip up . FYI the whole team sucked hence why Vrabrel is on the unemployment line .
Just speaking for myself, but I don't care about stats. I just go on eye test.

And it's not like he hasn't always gone against stacked boxes. It's not like Tannehill was scaring anyone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just speaking for myself, but I don't care about stats. I just go on eye test.

And it's not like he hasn't always gone against stacked boxes. It's not like Tannehill was scaring anyone.
Yeah he isn't the same explosive runner and it's not going to get better.

But can he be a really good battering ram still? Sure. We need a guy like him. Even if it's more in the 10-15 carry a game range. And he hasn't fallen off like Zeke if that's what people are scared of. Henry still averaged 4.2 ypc last season which is plenty for a consistent runner like him. This isn't Eddie George averaging 3.3 ypc before coming to Dallas.

Basically I'm cool with Henry teaming up with a rookie to split carries. But if it's going to cost 10 mil + than I'll pass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen the snickers about Eddie George part two. Henry is still a horse.
Yeah Eddie George at that point in his career was totally broken. Henry last year still went for 1100 yards rushing a 4.2 ypc. He isn't the same back he once was but that's not Eddie George. That's good starting RB material. And hell I don't know, maybe he falls the rest of the way off the cliff next year. But I doubt he is total trash. If he can give us anything close to that range, it's what we need. And pair him with an explosive young rookie with fresh legs. It's not complicated.

Of course, that type of production isn't worth 10+ mil on a multi year deal. I'd prefer a one year deal with him. Maybe 2. But if you're getting longer than that, it's probably best to let him go to a shit team and see his numbers really plummet.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Speaking of RBs, what's the story with Antonio Gibson? I should know with him in the division, but I thought he was pretty impressive a couple of years ago and I bet wouldn't cost too much. What happened to him? Is his attitude questionable? (I'm thinking it is, but maybe that's being unfair.)

Asking because I suspect this is more what we do, along with a round 3 or so draft pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have seen the snickers about Eddie George part two. Henry is still a horse.
I think he can be very effective in a timeshare, and his salary should reflect as much. I think something like 2/10 would be fair, maybe with incentives for yards or TD's, but I wouldn't give him anything more than 5/year at this stage.

Henry and a rookie in the 3rd like Allen or Estime could be very effective. Keep Dowdle around for pass protection and as insurance against injury.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Henry and a rookie in the 3rd like Allen or Estime could be very effective. Keep Dowdle around for pass protection and as insurance against injury.
Probably for the draft thread, but I was just watching some of his highlights and wanted thoughts on him. He doesn't look super impressive, but he must be faster than he looks because I see safeties taking bad angles on him and he's running away from some pretty good teams.

Not sure he's the best pairing with Henry, but I guess you couldn't say we were too small at RB anymore.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Probably for the draft thread, but I was just watching some of his highlights and wanted thoughts on him. He doesn't look super impressive, but he must be faster than he looks because I see safeties taking bad angles on him and he's running away from some pretty good teams.

Not sure he's the best pairing with Henry, but I guess you couldn't say we were too small at RB anymore.
Yea at this point I'd prefer a pair of well rounded backs that lean bigger/physical than smaller home run hitters. If they can figure out what to do with Vaughn he could be a scat back of sorts but who knows whether or not they can get that sorted out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thick comes to mind. But shifty for a bigger RB. Most of the time bigger RBs are kind of straight line, one cut types of dudes. Estime is more than that in my opinion.

Allen for example, he isn't shifty. He is foot in the ground and get down hill. A little like Henry in that once he gets up to speed he isn't slow and man trying to tackle that guy at full speed has to be miserable. But there is some buildup to that speed. If you can get to him before he gets going he isn't so scary.

If I signed Derrick Henry I think it opens you to draft a guy more like Jaylen Wright, Marshawn Lloyd, Bucky Irving. But you can also still draft thicker guys like Estime, Ray Davis, Corum (He is short but the dude is thick), or Trey Benson. I think I pretty much listed all the RBs in the draft that should go in those middle rounds. I did leave out Brooks but I'm not sure why when I watch him I very much get Pollard vibes. Similar sizes and just kind of running styles to me. Not the most powerful guy but isn't a feather either. Not the most electric runner but can make people miss and hit the big play. I know Brooks is high on a lot of lists, am I missing something on the guy? Am I overlooking him?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of RBs, what's the story with Antonio Gibson? I should know with him in the division, but I thought he was pretty impressive a couple of years ago and I bet wouldn't cost too much. What happened to him? Is his attitude questionable? (I'm thinking it is, but maybe that's being unfair.)

Asking because I suspect this is more what we do, along with a round 3 or so draft pick.
It's weird, for some reason I thought he was a smaller guy. Not small small but I didn't remember him being 6'2" 220 pounds. I guess I didn't see him as much over the last couple years. But I also know the first two years in the NFL his trajectory was looking really good and he was a pain in the ass to stop. I think the Redskins drafted Brian Robinson Jr. and their coach liked him more. Not saying they were correct in that preference but you know how coaches are. And Brian Robinson sort of had that great story attached to him.

Anyway, I'd be game for Antonio Gibson on the cheap.

shane

DCC 4Life
Yeah, am I the only one who thinks he's fallen off too much? He's not what he was a couple of years ago, and I'm afraid he's going to disappoint unless it's a relatively cheap deal.
A two year, incentive-laden deal would be ideal. Maybe a base pay of like 4.5 million?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's weird, for some reason I thought he was a smaller guy. Not small small but I didn't remember him being 6'2" 220 pounds. I guess I didn't see him as much over the last couple years. But I also know the first two years in the NFL his trajectory was looking really good and he was a pain in the ass to stop. I think the Redskins drafted Brian Robinson Jr. and their coach liked him more. Not saying they were correct in that preference but you know how coaches are. And Brian Robinson sort of had that great story attached to him.

Anyway, I'd be game for Antonio Gibson on the cheap.
Gibson would be an interesting one. He has talent for sure but seems like he has never earned trust.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I did leave out Brooks but I'm not sure why when I watch him I very much get Pollard vibes. Similar sizes and just kind of running styles to me. Not the most powerful guy but isn't a feather either. Not the most electric runner but can make people miss and hit the big play. I know Brooks is high on a lot of lists, am I missing something on the guy? Am I overlooking him?
I don't know... I've just barely started watching them (but I'm determined to this year). He didn't jump out to me during the season, but in watching highlights he looks... okay. Wish he were faster for not being bigger than he is. He does seem elusive and has some moves, but he runs kind of passive, kind of soft.

I think Benson is still my favorite, being 220+ with legit speed. But this class doesn't seem very good to me. I guess that's most years now as much as the position has been devalued... which I find sad.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Henry is 30 yrs old, and probably wants one last pay day. If he'd come in at a reasonable price, I'd consider it. But I doubt he would, so I'd rather take a guy in the 2nd-4th.
Frankly I'd like to do both, Pollard can walk.

But yeah the price has to be reasonable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Benson is still my favorite, being 220+ with legit speed. But this class doesn't seem very good to me. I guess that's most years now as much as the position has been devalued... which I find sad.
Yeah it's not that there aren't good RBs in this draft. But I'm not sure there is a guy that I love in the second round even. Now I'm sure a RB will go in the second round, but when there are 5 or 6 guys that could be and the rest I expect to go in the third round or later, it tells you that no RB should probably be going in the second round. Like if you have 6 RBs with third round grades, sure someone is going to fall in love with one of them and jump on them in round two because they need a RB. Hell that may even be us. But generally speaking, you should probably wait until the third and pluck a dude.

It's also why I like the idea of a free agent signing who is a bigger guy. Someone that can be a main back if you need. That way I'm not limiting what back I can take in say the third round. I'm not going, well I have to draft Allen because the free agent guy I signed is more of a third down back than an every down back. Get me a guy who can take and deliver punishment in free agency so I can just take the RB who is best without worrying about a particular style.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It's also why I like the idea of a free agent signing who is a bigger guy. Someone that can be a main back if you need. That way I'm not limiting what back I can take in say the third round. I'm not going, well I have to draft Allen because the free agent guy I signed is more of a third down back than an every down back. Get me a guy who can take and deliver punishment in free agency so I can just take the RB who is best without worrying about a particular style.
I think McCarthy is kind of like Parcells, biased against little guys. I think we saw that with Deuce and Dowdle. So I doubt we even sign a smaller guy, and I kind of doubt we draft a guy like Irving unless he just really falls a mile.

Top Bottom