2024 Cowboys Draft Chatter thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Maye to New England is probably the best scenario for him, Dallas, and UNC. As a UNC fan, you don't want him going QB death valley in Chicago. And as a Dallas fan, of course I love to see Washington reach for another bust in Daniels or JJ McCarthy.

New England seems like a relatively functional, stable environment that, though rebuilding and uncertain post-Belichick, probably remains a competent franchise where he can turn into a top 10 QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maye to New England is probably the best scenario for him, Dallas, and UNC. As a UNC fan, you don't want him going QB death valley in Chicago. And as a Dallas fan, of course I love to see Washington reach for another bust in Daniels or JJ McCarthy.

New England seems like a relatively functional, stable environment that, though rebuilding and uncertain post-Belichick, probably remains a competent franchise where he can turn into a top 10 QB.
What are you talking about, Tarheel Ernie?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

Even as a Michigan man, I don’t see or understand the hype around JJ McCarthy. I don’t see anything special about him as an NFL QB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Even as a Michigan man, I don’t see or understand the hype around JJ McCarthy. I don’t see anything special about him as an NFL QB.
Desperation.

I'd roll the dice on him at 24 because why not, but if we were picking around 10 I'd never consider trading up for him and it'd be difficult for me just to take him at 10 straight up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Desperation.

I'd roll the dice on him at 24 because why not, but if we were picking around 10 I'd never consider trading up for him and it'd be difficult for me just to take him at 10 straight up.
I like him but gosh it's so hard to judge college QBs. I wouldn't trade the house to go get him but if he was available at my teams pick I would take him. But I guess it depends who else is available. This QB class at the top is starting to feel strange. Caleb is an oddball, Maye is good but not really a freak, Daniels is a freak but not polished at all. And then you get to McCarthy. These QBs all seem to have potential to be really good in the NFL, but I'd be nervous betting my franchise on any of them.

That's why I say I wouldn't trade multiple firsts to move up for a guy like McCarthy. But if you burned say pick 10 and you miss? Not the end of the world. The Bears are the ones that should be nervous. Number one pick on Caleb? Guh

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Desperation.

That's how I feel as well. McCarthy is a project QB who will likely be truly scheme dependent. Given his mobility, a WCO would be a good fit for him, but he isn't a 1st round pick in my eyes. IMO, both Penix and Nix are better overall prospects as pure QBs, but I understand why many rate McCarthy higher on their boards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's how I feel as well. McCarthy is a project QB who will likely be truly scheme dependent. Given his mobility, a WCO would be a good fit for him, but he isn't a 1st round pick in my eyes. IMO, both Penix and Nix are better overall prospects as pure QBs, but I understand why many rate McCarthy higher on their boards.
Penix is interesting. I actually really like the guy. Dude can just sling a football. But I also see some risk of how he will translate to the NFL. His age doesn't matter to me. But injuries and the fact that he sort of was allowed to go bombs away with possibly the best receiving group in college football (Right there with Texas and LSU in my opinion) gives me hesitation that my eyes could be tricking me.

Nix? The guy is trash. I have no idea what people see in him. If you want a QB that can throw the ball under 5 yards, over and over and over again I guess he is your man. The guy was an absolutely college dinker and dunker. Whoever takes him thinking he is a real NFL QB is going to be very disappointed. I wouldn't even have him as my fifth/sixth QB in this class.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

~soft chuckle~

We ain’t getting a shot at any of the three.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

~soft chuckle~

We ain’t getting a shot at any of the three.
Barton is the only one with a possibility of making it to us, and I think it's a longshot at best.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Barton is the only one with a possibility of making it to us, and I think it's a longshot at best.
Not sure when Barton has become a long shot to make it to 24. But maybe things have shifted. Wasn't that long ago I think JPJ was a long shot. And now there is word that he could be more late first. Anyway, my stance hasn't changed. I'd love JPJ or Barton in the first. I'd consider Frazier after a trade down. The only way I'm taking a LT over one of these guys is if I feel like the guy is really a sure bet. I get that LT's are more valuable than interior guys but I personally think Tyler Smith is the LT unless you get a guy who is a better LT than him. Which would be hard to do.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Barton should be available at 24.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Barton should be available at 24.
He should be. He could go higher but it's like that every year. Jist depends what type of Olineman a team is looking for. There are an insane amount of potential first round lineman this year. But they all have different quirks. Some aren't interior guys. Some are massive guys, some are more mobile. If you need a dude with versatility, athletic ability and finishing ability Barton is that dude. If you want a pure LT or RT maybe not.

Barton is Zach Martin'ish to me. Not saying he will be that good. Just built similar, similar history at LT but maybe not ideal measurement for it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I still say what about taking something else, like DE, letting Tyler play OT and draft Beebe later.

I don't know what we're going to do at DE. Stupid Sam could get ejected or suspended at any time, and Lawrence is getting long in the tooth. Plus he's really tired.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I still say what about taking something else, like DE, letting Tyler play OT and draft Beebe later.

I don't know what we're going to do at DE. Stupid Sam could get ejected or suspended at any time, and Lawrence is getting long in the tooth. Plus he's really tired.

I think another pass rusher is a sneaky big need. I wish we signed one in free agency but now I'm talking crazy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He should be. He could go higher but it's like that every year. Jist depends what type of Olineman a team is looking for. There are an insane amount of potential first round lineman this year. But they all have different quirks. Some aren't interior guys. Some are massive guys, some are more mobile. If you need a dude with versatility, athletic ability and finishing ability Barton is that dude. If you want a pure LT or RT maybe not.

Barton is Zach Martin'ish to me. Not saying he will be that good. Just built similar, similar history at LT but maybe not ideal measurement for it.
Teams are viewing him as a capable starter at C, G or T. Given that extra bit of flexibility puts him over a similar G/T. There are also rumbling about Powers-Johnson having a bad hip. If true, that makes him go even higher.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think another pass rusher is a sneaky big need. I wish we signed one in free agency but now I'm talking crazy.
I mean, we don't even have bodies there, much less people we know can play. Who's going to play there? Fehoko didn't even play a snap last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom