2024 2nd Round Pick - Marshawn Kneeland, DE, Central Michigan

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I like the Kneeland pick, but I think the Jones thinking is pretty simplistic: They see him as DLaw's cheap replacement. They're very into replacing expensive vets with inexpensive rookie replicas, obviously.

FWIW, Darius Robinson was one of the few players I saw Belichick really gush about. I bet he's a pretty good player, though maybe not as spectacular as some.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the Kneeland pick, but I think the Jones thinking is pretty simplistic: They see him as DLaw's cheap replacement. They're very into replacing expensive vets with inexpensive rookie replicas, obviously.

FWIW, Darius Robinson was one of the few players I saw Belichick really gush about. I bet he's a pretty good player, though maybe not as spectacular as some.
Bill gushing about a prospect tells me the opposite. He was a terrible drafter.

That's not fair though, I think Robinson is a nice piece to have on a Dline. I just don't think he will ever be anything special either. I always feel the need for a guy to at least have the potential to be special in the first. Robinson to me was a second round prospect.

Sort of like Kneeland to me. Except I think Kneeland has more upside because he is more athletic. But like I said, he isn't as refined of a pass rusher as Robinson. The potential is there but right now, he is a really good stout DE who can chase plays down.

Anyway, we do need a replacement for Lawrence. Money may play a part but Lawrence is getting old and beat up. The guy isn't going to play forever. So yeah, the draft is about drafting future replacements. It sort of helps get ahead of the curve so that you're not reaching for need a year from now and taking a Taco Charlton.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Bill gushing about a prospect tells me the opposite. He was a terrible drafter.
I wouldn't trust him on a WR, but I'll definitely listen to him on a front seven player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't trust him on a WR, but I'll definitely listen to him on a front seven player.
So the last front 7 guy he drafted in the first round was Malcom Brown. He didn't even get the fifth year option. The year before they took Dominiue Easley, he lasted what, 2 years? You have to go all the way back to 2012 to find a good first round pick in the front 7. That year they took Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower, admittedly they were both good players.

But man, if you want to see a history of pathetic drafting in the first round, go look at the Patriots draft history.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

There's nothing wrong with that as long as they aren't reaching for shitty players to do so, every team in the league uses the draft to account for aging vets.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So the last front 7 guy he drafted in the first round was Malcom Brown. He didn't even get the fifth year option. The year before they took Dominiue Easley, he lasted what, 2 years? You have to go all the way back to 2012 to find a good first round pick in the front 7. That year they took Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower, admittedly they were both good players.

But man, if you want to see a history of pathetic drafting in the first round, go look at the Patriots draft history.
Didn't he take Christian Barmore just a few years ago either in the late 1st or early 2nd?

He just got a massive extension coming off a very good 2023.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
There's nothing wrong with that as long as they aren't reaching for shitty players to do so, every team in the league uses the draft to account for aging vets.
I'm not saying it's wrong at all, and things did break right in this case, just that if Lawrence had two or three more years on his contract, I doubt we'd have drafted him as purely the best player available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't he take Christian Barmore just a few years ago either in the late 1st or early 2nd?

Yeah he was a second round pick. I was just looking at their first round picks. He is a good player. Any time you can get a 6'4" 310 pound dude to produce 8.5 sacks, you've found something. I remember thinking he was a first round DT when he slipped to the second that year.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
DOn't mind passing on Benson in the second for a DE that was at the top of the ESPN board at all.

Passing on Lloyd for Loofa...different story.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

That he did. Funny thing is that it literally is the biggest non-Brady contract they have given out…ever.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
DOn't mind passing on Benson in the second for a DE that was at the top of the ESPN board at all.

Passing on Lloyd for Loofa...different story.
We will see how Lloyd does for the Packers but I think he would have been an excellent pick for us. I would have a lot of faith in him being a good RB. Marist I have less faith in that he will be able to start. Hopefully he proves me wrong. I would have been happy with him with a late fourth or early fifth. But third is just too rich.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Greg Cosell said:
BOTTOM LINE: "The more I watched Kneeland the more I started to see Khalil Mack coming out of Buffalo, and based on tape I thought Mack was the best pass rush prospect in the 2014 draft, which included Jadeveon Clowney. I sense that Kneeland can transition to the NFL as a defensive end in four-man fronts, and at 267 pounds with 34½-inch arms, he can do that. He can also transition as a standup outside linebacker in five-man fronts and even move inside at times in four-man and five-man fronts, plus his versatility as a standup Joker."

Top Bottom