2023 Training Camp Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Y'all need to call the Cowboys front office. Ask to speak to Will McClay. He probably won't return the call, but tell him when you leave a message that the posters on this board have some valuable insights that he and the other scouts and coaches have obviously missed.

Imagine how the drafting prowess of the organization would benefit, if only they knew who to listen to.
I asked him in 2018 why they wouldn't have considered Watt the year before in a hybrid role where he played off-ball LB in base packages and rushed off the edge in nickel/dime and clear pass rushing situations.

He told me they wouldn't use a first on a strong side LB, although they did basically exactly that with Parsons in 2021, so you can thank me later.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I asked him in 2018 why they wouldn't have considered Watt the year before in a hybrid role where he played off-ball LB in base packages and rushed off the edge in nickel/dime and clear pass rushing situations.

He told me they wouldn't use a first on a strong side LB, although they did basically exactly that with Parsons in 2021, so you can thank me later.
It is pretty clear that McClay is not the all-mastermind. He aligns often with coaches.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It is pretty clear that McClay is not the all-mastermind. He aligns often with coaches.
Yea he isn't but no GM is really. Roseman is pretty shit in the draft, the Chiefs couldn't win a playoff game until they got Mahomes, the 49ers gave up like 3 1's for Trey Lance, the Ravens couldn't find a decent WR for like 5 years, that's why it's an art and not a science.

But McClay's influence, even if it's not just his pure ability to evaluate, has been a huge positive for the organization the last 10 years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yea he isn't but no GM is really. Roseman is pretty shit in the draft, the Chiefs couldn't win a playoff game until they got Mahomes, the 49ers gave up like 3 1's for Trey Lance, the Ravens couldn't find a decent WR for like 5 years, that's why it's an art and not a science.

But McClay's influence, even if it's not just his pure ability to evaluate, has been a huge positive for the organization the last 10 years.
I am not dumping on him. He is pretty good at what he does and he is pretty comfortable at what he does.

The political influence he has is fairly minimal.

He is also not an artist. If our drafts were artwork, there would be a lot of handprints, broad paint strokes, splatters and perhaps even a

He is the tie breaker before the ultimate tie breaker meeting. But you can easily see, he goes with the coaches and it is more of them leading him than him leading them. Especially on defense. I don't think his pure talent eye is that refined as he looks more organizing than visionary.

You're not the gorilla boss of us, booze.
Your rebellion will be swiftly extinguished if you continue to test me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom