2023 Senior Bowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As an Iowa guy I agree with you on Van Ness but I don't really want the Cowboys to draft him. I think he is solid, he will be a good NFL player and someone who plays a lot of snaps. But you're basically swinging for singles or doubles. I don't think he is ever going to be an elite guy. Just someone who is a rock solid starter for a long time. And maybe that's better than swinging for the fences but I'd prefer a little more impact when talking about a first round pick. Even if it is "almost" a second. Give me the Sam Williams types instead who can be a home run and a good player regardless.
Moss or No Moss?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd be open to him at 26, just depends on what we do with McGovern and Tyron. Ultimately I don't think it's very likely that we go OL in the first, with virtually no chance of it if we resign McGovern.
I have a feeling that some team might get the itch to sign McGovern to a contract like Williams got from the Dolphins last year. They might be some team that thinks he has enough flex to go to center.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be open to him at 26, just depends on what we do with McGovern and Tyron. Ultimately I don't think it's very likely that we go OL in the first, with virtually no chance of it if we resign McGovern.
Yeah way too rich for my blood. I don't think he is a first rounder.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd rather wait and take a guy like Avila in the 2nd/3rd but I do like Mauch, think he's definitely in the 25-40ish range, and think he'd be a nice long term fit next to Smith.

The big question I have is what sort of OL are we interested in?

For years we've prioritized mobility and athleticism with a zone based scheme, which endured with Moore due to the Garrett influence, but something tells me McCarthy is going to be more interested in gap/power type guys like Torrence potentially.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think he is either.

When it shakes out he will go around the fifty-ish range if he shows he can handle going inside to guard.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd rather wait and take a guy like Avila in the 2nd/3rd but I do like Mauch, think he's definitely in the 25-40ish range, and think he'd be a nice long term fit next to Smith.

The big question I have is what sort of OL are we interested in?

For years we've prioritized mobility and athleticism with a zone based scheme, which endured with Moore due to the Garrett influence, but something tells me McCarthy is going to be more interested in gap/power type guys like Torrence potentially.
The more I see with Solari, the more I see a little touch of Nolan.

A guy who thinks he is a mad scientist, but really is a broken down old man who puts hot sauce in his own damn eye.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think he is either.

When it shakes out he will go around the fifty-ish range if he shows he can handle going inside to guard.
Yep, 50ish is where I see him. Probably middle to late second round to me. I'm honestly not even really on board there. To me he is probably a third rounder type. Nothing wrong with that. I'd expect a third round Oline pick to be a good starter.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Mauch is a good player. I really like him. But I'm not sure if he's a first rounder. Maybe. I'd say a solid 2nd, tho and I'd sure take him there. The guy never quits. But doesn't have the arm length you'd like to see in your tackles. Might be a better fit in at guard.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Mauch is a good player. I really like him. But I'm not sure if he's a first rounder. Maybe. I'd say a solid 2nd, tho and I'd sure take him there. The guy never quits. But doesn't have the arm length you'd like to see in your tackles. Might be a better fit in at guard.
I assume he's a OG only, but arguably the best in the class. Any value he has as a OT is utility/emergency to me.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
McQuistan definitely has competition.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2023 NFL Draft: 5 Players to watch in Senior Bowl Game
Players to watch for the 2023 NFL Draft in the Senior Bowl.

The final college football all-star game is upon us and it is star-studded. The Senior Bowl will be played this weekend, and as usual, college football’s premier showcase game is bursting with talent. This game has been built into one of college football’s biggest spectacles with scouts and representatives from every professional organization, which is warranted as you see the country’s best players battling against each other all week long.

This will be another year when the NFL Draft is overloaded with talent because every showcase game has had bonafide stars playing, and the Senior Bowl is no different. Don’t be surprised when you see incredible football players being overlooked this year because there are many high-level prospects in this draft class.

Look at the running back group alone; how will the coaches get everyone playing time? It’s going to be extremely hard on the coaches this year as they try to balance playing time for so many prospects, but as a spectator, it’s amazing to see how healthy the sport is. Here are five players to keep your eye on this weekend.

Tight End Luke Musgrave, Oregon State:

George Kittle must be proud of this year’s draft class because it is the “year of the tight end.” We all know about elite prospects in this position group, but one player you should get to know is Musgrave.

He is somewhat of an unknown because he didn’t get the receiving chances as many of the top prospects, but when he gets the chance, he always delivered. Musgrave is a huge player with a surprising amount of athleticism, and he is a good route runner and plays very physical football. He had a great start to his 2022 campaign but was unfortunately derailed by injury.

Now he is looking to pick up where he left off and show everyone how good he can be. He is a smooth version of Austin Hooper and will immediately be a huge end-zone threat. If he does what he showed early this season during Senior Bowl week, he could easily be a day-two draft pick.

Linebacker Ivan Pace, Cincinnati:
After playing at Miami of Ohio for four seasons, Pace transferred to Cincinnati to play his final season with his younger brother Deshawn and had the greatest defensive statistical season in team history.

He amassed 136 tackles, with ten sacks and four pass deflections. Pace was a monster for the Bearcat defense this season, using his size and speed to overwhelm opponents. The popular belief going into the season was that his brother would be the star of Cincinnati’s defense, but Ivan became a star this season.

Another piece of his success that can’t be overlooked is that he stepped up his competition by transferring and was still a dominant force. He is a bit of a tweener at multiple positions, but he knows what parts of his game to use and at what times. That is what made him so effective this past season; he was able to bounce between positions and then use different aspects of his game, like a poor man’s Micah Parsons.

If he can use that piece of his game at the Senior Bowl, he will have defenses chomping at the bit. In today’s NFL, a linebacker needs to fill various roles, and Pace showed he can do a bit of everything and be an effective player.

Defensive Lineman Dylan Horton, TCU:

Here is a player who picked up a lot of attention as the season progressed. Horton was the enforcer of the TCU defense, and it became more apparent late in the year.

Horton was leading the effort if a running back needed to be held down, and the same could be said for when the team needed a sack too. Horton has a high football IQ and showed he was ready for any scenario on the field. He is excellent at stacking and shedding blockers, which really helps him diagnose plays fast and then react appropriately.

He is a versatile player who possesses both power and speed pass-rushing moves. He will be a great depth piece for any team’s defensive line and has the tools to become a starter at the next level. It might take a little time for him to acclimate to the NFL because he is in the middle of the pass-rushing spectrum.

He will have to figure out what techniques will work best for him because even though he showed the ability to do both speed and power rushes, NFL linemen can stifle a lot more than college linemen, so he will need to figure out what still works for him. If Horton can carry the momentum of his season to the Senior Bowl, he will no doubt catch the eye of many scouts.

Wide Receiver Rashee Rice, SMU:

This is low-key the top receiver in the entire draft. Rice was a producer every season for SMU, but he never got complacent and kept improving his craft. His hard work paid off this year as he set his school’s single-season receiving yards record and ranked top ten nationally in most receiving statistics.

Rice is a smooth route runner with great burst to pull away from defenders and strong hands. He has good size and excellent concentration, making contested catches look easy. He is the type of player who should be able to fit into any scheme and can play outside the numbers or in the slot.

SMU has had a string of good NFL receivers as of late, and Rice is probably the best of them. He may not have the measurables like Quentin Johnston, but he is a consistent and dependable outlet for his quarterback. If he can show off against all the top-tier talent at the Senior Bowl, don’t be surprised when you hear his name in the first round of this year’s NFL Draft.

Safety Jammie Robinson, Florida State:

If you’re looking for a safety who can do a bit of everything, then Robinson is the player you want. He is very comparable to Buffalo Bills All-Pro safety Jordan Poyer.

He can play the run and the pass equally great and has a killer mentality. He is a phenomenal tackler in the backfield and one on one in space. He is a great leader and has a tireless motor, which becomes infectious to his teammates.

He racked up 99 tackles this past season, which is an incredible number from the safety position. Robinson should be a day-one starter for whatever gets him because he is just an overall great football player. It isn’t a stretch to say he is the top prospect at his position and will be a player who sticks out during the entire draft process because of his work ethic and football knowledge. Then you add his physical traits, and you have a legitimate first-round prospect.

How to watch the 2023 Senior Bowl?
  • NFL Network
When is the 2023 Senior Bowl?
  • Saturday, February 3, 2:30 pm est.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wide Receiver Rashee Rice, SMU:

This is low-key the top receiver in the entire draft. Rice was a producer every season for SMU, but he never got complacent and kept improving his craft. His hard work paid off this year as he set his school’s single-season receiving yards record and ranked top ten nationally in most receiving statistics.

Rice is a smooth route runner with great burst to pull away from defenders and strong hands. He has good size and excellent concentration, making contested catches look easy. He is the type of player who should be able to fit into any scheme and can play outside the numbers or in the slot.

SMU has had a string of good NFL receivers as of late, and Rice is probably the best of them. He may not have the measurables like Quentin Johnston, but he is a consistent and dependable outlet for his quarterback. If he can show off against all the top-tier talent at the Senior Bowl, don’t be surprised when you hear his name in the first round of this year’s NFL Draft.
I'm a bit concerned that he hasn't blown people away during Senior Bowl practices. I know some guys are just gamers and the QB's sort of suck at the Senior Bowl this year. But Flowers went to Shrine Bowl practice, destroyed everyone and hung it up. Everything I read about the Senior Bowl practices has been really silent on Rice. He isn't a big receiver, he's not overly explosive. I just get Michael Gallup type vibes from him without watching more of his college games. He feels like a WR right up the Cowboys alley but is there anything special about him?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm a bit concerned that he hasn't blown people away during Senior Bowl practices. I know some guys are just gamers and the QB's sort of suck at the Senior Bowl this year. But Flowers went to Shrine Bowl practice, destroyed everyone and hung it up. Everything I read about the Senior Bowl practices has been really silent on Rice. He isn't a big receiver, he's not overly explosive. I just get Michael Gallup type vibes from him without watching more of his college games. He feels like a WR right up the Cowboys alley but is there anything special about him?
I don't even get a Gallup vibe from him. I really don't get why there is the desire by some to push him up in this class.

Make no mistake, it is a very weak class. And when you see a guy in a class like that getting pushed, I worry how much is legitimate.

All I know is that what I have seen of him does not stand out in any significant way. He's not especially fast, sudden, twitchy, strong or savvy, just there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't even get a Gallup vibe from him. I really don't get why there is the desire by some to push him up in this class.

Make no mistake, it is a very weak class. And when you see a guy in a class like that getting pushed, I worry how much is legitimate.

All I know is that what I have seen of him does not stand out in any significant way. He's not especially fast, sudden, twitchy, strong or savvy, just there.
Like every class there are guys that will be drafted before they should. My preference is for guys with special qualities. You don't have to be the biggest but you better be able to separate then. If you aren't the quickest or fastest, then you better have that size to physical dominate people. I just don't see either with Rice. And the fact that he isn't the best receiver at the Senior Bowl makes me really question if he is that good.

On the flip side Reed from Michigan State sounds like he is worth a watch. Sounds like he gets separation for days and has a lot of really good speed and explosiveness. His size won't wow people but at 5'11" and 195 pounds I'm not worried. That's the type of guy who I think will rise and could be an excellent NFL player.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Seems like a relatively weak crop but here are the guys I'm most interested in seeing:

Keion White @boozeman
Keeanu Benton
JL Skinner
Rashee Rice
Jakorian Bennett
Jaelyn Duncan
Isaiah Foskey
Derick Hall
Will McDonald
John Michael Schmitz
Matthew Bergeron
Kenny McIntosh