2023 Season | Wildcard Sunday | Packers at Cowboys | Gameday Chatter thread | 1/14/2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpf1123

DCC 4Life
I think McCarthy was also blindsided by his QB going full retard. McCarthy probably thought he'd given enough to Dak throughout the year that the poor play in playoff games was in the past. That has nothing to do with what happened with Quinn, but I'm sure McCarthy didn't see Dak's meltdown coming.

And if McCarthy stays that needs to be the focus going forward and the gameplan in big games needs to be built around it. Give him easy completions and get him settled down. It would be easier if we actually had any sort of running game to rely on.

Get him a friggin' sports psychologist or hypnotize him for all I care. I can't imagine the pressure Dak will be feeling if we make it back to the playoffs next year. But it will be a lot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I would assume that McCarthy is at least aware of what Quinn's game plans are, signs off on it, and they meet on a regular basis given how frequently McCarthy talks about complementary football. I'm sure he doesn't just cross his fingers and hope it happens by blind luck.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And if McCarthy stays that needs to be the focus going forward and the gameplan in big games needs to be built around it. Give him easy completions and get him settled down.
There's no way to do that, though.

That was my hope coming into this season but this past season just proved there is absolutely no way whatsoever to protect the guy from himself.

Look at the picks he threw in the 49ers game last year. A one on one hitch route on the outside to Gallup when the guy was never open.

That was followed by a 2nd and 2 short pass to CD Lamb that gets picked -- a play almost identical to the one he threw for a pick 6 last Sunday.

A lot of those plays are simple in concept or the down and distance is very manageable, the routes are short, etc. and yet he still fucks them up.

He's a choking ass bitch who simply cannot and will not ever handle pressure well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And if McCarthy stays that needs to be the focus going forward and the gameplan in big games needs to be built around it. Give him easy completions and get him settled down. It would be easier if we actually had any sort of running game to rely on.

Get him a friggin' sports psychologist or hypnotize him for all I care. I can't imagine the pressure Dak will be feeling if we make it back to the playoffs next year. But it will be a lot.
It didn't help that immediately we fell behind and I'm sure that put all the pressure on Dak to feel like he needed to climb back in it right away. Which just snowballed with the INT's leading to more points and falling further behind. By the time he started to get comfortable we were already behind by a massive amount. And at that point the defense just looked like they stopped even trying. Basically the defense didn't help the offense, the offense didn't help the defense. Everything spiraled into a total and complete disaster.

I don't think you can really give anyone a pass in this game. This loss wasn't just on the defense, it wasn't just on Dak, it wasn't just on the other offensive player. Almost everyone came out and just completely spazzed. I will say on offense Dak is the leader. So when he spazzes out, others are likely to spazz out. So you have to put a lot of the offensive failure on Dak. The defense, well they sucked from snap one all on their own.

I'm really not sure where to start other than we need to rethink the defensive philosophy entirely. On offense we just need shit that doesn't require our QB to basically do everything with his arm. Easy throws, maybe some semblance of a good running game. Anything to sort of minimize his exposure when he has a bad start to a game. (Yes I know that's not what you want in a franchise QB, you expect it out of a Brock Purdy type paid QB).

In the end, it just sort of feels like we need to build physicality on defense and a run game on offense. We could really use a WR #2 for Dak but that almost feels like a luxury at this point. But when you're so reliant on offense for Dak and Ceedee to be great. The second the two aren't great, everything falls apart.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He's a choking ass bitch who simply cannot and will not ever handle pressure well.
I agree he’s had issues settling down in many big games.

Last year the defense held the 49ers, but Dak kept fucking up after Pollard went down and lost the game.

This year Pollard did well, but the defense shit the bed to the point Dak’s performance almost didn’t matter (though he still had problems).

Dak is a good passer who needs strong defensive and running game performances in the playoffs. But let’s also ask which QB consistently went deep into the playoffs without both?

It’s not hard relatively speaking if you are already committed to the OL as part of your identity to field a strong running game.

We failed to this year— blame that on a front office content to celebrate the story of a scout drafting his own son. We also failed for the zillionth year in a row to field a strong run defense. Blame that again on the front office who forced us into Mazi as our only recourse.

We weren’t going far this year without being stronger at both.

Getting stronger at QB means challenging the one we have. Draft a QB in the 2nd round. That would give us a real alternative

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Penix or Nix falls to the 2nd I'd roll the dice, might even talk myself into McCarthy in the 1st but would depend on the board. I'd roll the dice on the Tulane or FSU kid in the 4th.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
If Penix or Nix falls to the 2nd I'd roll the dice, might even talk myself into McCarthy in the 1st but would depend on the board. I'd roll the dice on the Tulane or FSU kid in the 4th.
Penix looks like he has a fucked, slow delivery. I'd stay way away.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure that McCarthy is above Penix or Nix. If McCarthy is there in the second I'd snap him up. Perfect guy for Mike McCarthy to tutor (Plus they share a last name!!!). I doubt Dallas will but I think having the chance to slowly develop a franchise QB for a year or two is ideal. McCarthy isn't perfect but the guy is a winner and has ice in his veins when it matters most. Plus he is athletic and has a good arm. So I think he would be a good fit here.

I like Jordan Travis too.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Am I the only one? I've never been very impressed with McCarthy the QB. Not as a pro prospect.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Penix won’t last past the mid 1st. Really hard to see that happening

p1_

DCC 4Life
I would assume that McCarthy is at least aware of what Quinn's game plans are, signs off on it, and they meet on a regular basis given how frequently McCarthy talks about complementary football. I'm sure he doesn't just cross his fingers and hope it happens by blind luck.
I cant imagine seeing Quinns strategy and being confident in it. Look at the terrible results, especially the Green Bay debacle. But also, the other games this year where Quinn was eviscerated.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I cant imagine seeing Quinns strategy and being confident in it. Look at the terrible results, especially the Green Bay debacle. But also, the other games this year where Quinn was eviscerated.
Fatal flaws are found in every scheme.

Quinn's is not any different. It can work in short spurts and within seasons, just like it sort of did this year.

The simple fact is that offenses are always going to be ahead of defenses, so finesse does not work over the long haul.

The future is finding that blend. It is about physicality. We did not establish that on either side of the LOS. And as we should all know boys and girls, it is all in the trenches.

Being bigger. Planet theory.

We have heard this before.

shane

DCC 4Life
Dak sucked ass but the defense was absurdly bad. It was a total failure. Can’t put it on one person. The coaching was a dismal failure and should have been replaced. But there is no accountability from the GM on down and that’s the biggest problem obviously.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dak sucked ass but the defense was absurdly bad. It was a total failure. Can’t put it on one person. The coaching was a dismal failure and should have been replaced. But there is no accountability from the GM on down and that’s the biggest problem obviously.
Yeah that sums up the anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom