2023 Season | Wildcard Sunday | Packers at Cowboys | Gameday Chatter thread | 1/14/2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Penix or Nix falls to the 2nd I'd roll the dice, might even talk myself into McCarthy in the 1st but would depend on the board. I'd roll the dice on the Tulane or FSU kid in the 4th.
Pratt is the way.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He's the same size as Von Miller. I don't see why he couldn't be a weakside OLB in a 34.

Problem I see is too often we run this four man front with only two true DTs and basically two 34 OLBs playing end.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's the same size as Von Miller. I don't see why he couldn't be a weakside OLB in a 34.

Problem I see is too often we run this four man front with only two true DTs and basically two 34 OLBs playing end.
He absolutely could play that role. The truth is any passing play where he is dropping into coverage is pretty much a wasted play for Parsons. He is a see ball, get ball kind of guy. Against the run and pass. Standing out there in coverage he is going to be pretty worthless until the ball is completed.

I don't think Parsons is the problem at all. But most of us know that. If the idea is to lengthen his career then I reduce his snaps per game. But that's not easy to do with Parsons who basically never wants off the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean context matters.

He absolutely should be rushing on 3 and 9 in a must win playoff game.

That doesn't mean he needs to be rushing every down in a random September game.
Well I do agree with that. It's why I say the term "full time LBer"

But I should also say that if we were to bring in a 3-4 guy, he absolutely should be a full time OLBer in that type of defense. What I really am trying to say is that in a standard 4-3, I think it's a bit dumb to make him a full time LBer. Sure he can play there sometimes. Hell he can rush the passer from there. In the end I just hate seeing him drop in coverage. It's just such a waste of talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is absolutely untrue.

He is a very very good off the ball linebacker and made plays from that position both in college and his first year here when he did it more often.
Not in pass coverage he didn't in college. I agree he is excellent against the run while off the ball. He is an excellent Blitzer while off the ball. I'm all for moving him around.

Zone coverage? He stinks. I think he can do some man coverage mostly because he is an athletic freak. But way more impactful going after the QB.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
That is absolutely untrue.

He is a very very good off the ball linebacker and made plays from that position both in college and his first year here when he did it more often.
Absolutely. How he lined up EVERYWHERE, even CB, his first year should be the blueprint how he is used.

Team got greedy tho, hogs get slaughtered. He can't be on the line the vast majority of the time like he is now and have a lengthy career.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Florio is a useless tool as always, but King has some good questions about Quinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom