2023 Season | Super Bowl LVIII 49ers @ Chiefs| Gameday Chatter Thread | 2/11/2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

That is how everyone should have attacked them.
Basically, he wasn't scared of Brock Purdy and not all that worried about their receivers either.

And can you blame him?

I'm still not convinced that Purdy will be anything more than a higher end game manager and their receivers aren't anything special either.

Samuel is great with the ball in his hands but as an actual receiver he's solid at best.

Unless that scheme isn't creating passing opportunities for them, that offense as a whole really doesn't scare you.

data

Forbes #1
Anyone dislike the playoff OT rules?

The fact there’s debate over coin toss winner better to receive or defer is a positive.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He also had the disadvantage of going first in playoff overtime
Absolute nonsense.

I hate how people have just let teams off the hook for playing actual football just because it's overtime.

I never thought there was anything wrong with sudden death either and I felt like way too many people were letting defenses off the hook -- it was as if defenses were no longer being held accountable for letting a team score all because it happened in overtime.

But now both teams get a chance to get the ball and even then we're gonna let the 49ers off the hook for not scoring a TD as it was some of case of bad luck?

Bullshit.

They had their chance to win that Super Bowl and they came up short. Kansas City went right down the field on the very next drive and did so while converting a fourth down inside their own territory so I don't want to hear any such nonsense that someone lost that game for any other reason than they just didn't get the job done.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I never thought there was anything wrong with sudden death either and I felt like way too many people were letting defenses off the hook -- it was as if defenses were no longer being held accountable for letting a team score all because it happened in overtime.
I used to feel this way but over the years I changed my mind. Mainly because the NFL has gone overboard with rules favoring the offense.

It's a lot easier to move the ball and get into FG range now than it was 30 years ago. Plus modern day kickers are practically in FG range as soon as you cross midfield. These guys are casually drilling 60 yard kicks like it's nothing. Whereas in the 90s and early 2000s a 50 yard FG attempt felt pretty risky.

So given all that, I think you have to adjust and allow the other team at least one possession. After that all bets are off and it's sudden death.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think you have to adjust and allow the other team at least one possession. After that all bets are off and it's sudden death.
Agreed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Absolute nonsense.

I hate how people have just let teams off the hook for playing actual football just because it's overtime.

But now both teams get a chance to get the ball and even then we're gonna let the 49ers off the hook for not scoring a TD as it was some of case of bad luck?

Bullshit.

They had their chance to win that Super Bowl and they came up short. Kansas City went right down the field on the very next drive and did so while converting a fourth down inside their own territory so I don't want to hear any such nonsense that someone lost that game for any other reason than they just didn't get the job done.
I'm not trying to say Purdy is the next great QB at all, but you are at a disadvantage when you know you can settle for a FG vs being forced to score or be eliminated. In the latter case, you have 4th down available to you. That is an advantage. All I'm saying.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not trying to say Purdy is the next great QB at all, but you are at a disadvantage when you know you can settle for a FG vs being forced to score or be eliminated. In the latter case, you have 4th down available to you. That is an advantage. All I'm saying.
I agree with this.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You prefer sticking with the current regular season rules?

Sudden death was always fine. The disadvantage of losing the coin toss for OT was always way overexaggerated.

Like Ace basically said, play defense. That's still part of the game, right?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Brock Purdy comp……….Phil Simms?
Maybe, Simms played for a long time and didn't start out so hot. He was also an interception machine.

Of course, the one position the Giants struck out on most seemed to be WR, so who knows how badly that affected Simms' game. He definitely had a great defense to cover for him.

If Purdy plays a team equivalent in modern standards to the 1986 Broncos, maybe he goes 22-25 for 268 yards, 3 TDs and no picks?

data

Forbes #1
Sudden death was always fine. The disadvantage of losing the coin toss for OT was always way overexaggerated.

Like Ace basically said, play defense. That's still part of the game, right?
Im fine with sudden death if first drive starts at the ~7 yard line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom