2023 Season | Super Bowl LVIII 49ers @ Chiefs| Gameday Chatter Thread | 2/11/2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Forbes #1
Interesting how the Chiefs have had almost identical performances in all of their SB wins.

In all 3, they've started off slow, played from behind, and had to pull out the win late.

It all counts the same, it's just interesting to me that they can't ever seem to get off to a fast start in these Superbowls and yet still find ways to win them.
How was the reffing? Any controversial calls?

I think the NFL wants the Taylor Swift momentum to continue, but was it apparent on the field?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
49ers won the coin toss and elected to receive it. I didn't see how game went into OT, but that's a mistake, right?

First possession cannot win; Second possession can.

The coin toss loser has the advantage to go for win if 49ers kick FG or don't score.

If it was 4th and goal from within the 5 yard line, maybe even 8 yard line, I'm confident Andy Reid is going for the win. No way is he kicking ball back to 49ers for a second possession with FG to win.
Depends on if you buy into the tired defense excuse and momentum.

49ers defense was just on the field and I'm not sure putting them right back on would have been wise. Plus the momentum of scoring a TD first puts added pressure on the opposing team.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Wait, I'm reading that if time ran out they'd play another OT? When was this rule? OT rules are so stupid now.
Even Romo didn’t know the OT rules. Last night he commented that Purdy had 15 open for a TD and the SB win, but even if SF scored a TD the Chiefs still got their turn with the ball.

UncleMilti

Staff member
It wouldn't have bothered me if the 49ers won. I'm more concerned with the Cowboys getting their act together.

49ers are at least making regular trips to the NFCCG and Super Bowl. We're coming up on 30 years without making it past the divisional round.

I'd don't even care about the whole who has the most Super Bowls thing. We've already been passed by the Steelers and Patriots. The 49ers will probably pass them shortly and by the looks of it the Chiefs will probably blow past the Cowboys within the next 5 years.
I don’t know…..as much as I bitch and complain about the Cowboys, it’s gotta be really tough to lose 3 SBs in a row like the Niners have. It’s not like they’ve been blown out, they’ve lost in a fairly heartbreaking fashion all 3 times.

Heeeheheehheheh.

Fuck’em.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Interesting how the Chiefs have had almost identical performances in all of their SB wins.

In all 3, they've started off slow, played from behind, and had to pull out the win late.

It all counts the same, it's just interesting to me that they can't ever seem to get off to a fast start in these Superbowls and yet still find ways to win them.
I was pretty impressed with the adjustments that Reid and Spagnuolo made during the game. McCaffrey was really gashing them in the first quarter and they started shutting him down. They also started pressuring Purdy on critical 3rd downs. Pretty damn good job for the most part.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Depends on if you buy into the tired defense excuse and momentum.

49ers defense was just on the field and I'm not sure putting them right back on would have been wise. Plus the momentum of scoring a TD first puts added pressure on the opposing team.

For the record, I'm reading that after the game Shanahan said he elected to receive because he wanted the ball third.

That's decent reasoning I guess, but it means you need to hold the other team to the same thing you do, which of course they didn't.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Actually I think the calls favored the 49ers.
Definitely think the Niners had a couple calls go their way. But for the most part the refs let the teams play last night.

UncleMilti

Staff member
For the record, I'm reading that after the game Shanahan said he elected to receive because he wanted the ball third.

That's decent reasoning I guess, but it means you need to hold the other team to the same thing you do, which of course they didn't.
I really thought the Chiefs D would be completely gassed in OT, but it was actually SF that gave up the goods in the end. Once KC got to the 40-45 of SF, the D just kinda started looking listless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom