2023 Season | Super Bowl LVIII 49ers @ Chiefs| Gameday Chatter Thread | 2/11/2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Are the Chicago Bulls first three peat same dynasty or different dynasty from second three peat?
Good question. I do. It was the same basic core (Jordan, Pippen and Phil Jackson). They took a couple years off because Jordan faafo but I don't think that should be held against them.

Does anyone here consider the 49ers 1994 SB part of the 80s dynasty?
No, for reasons I stated above. I don't think a single player not to mention the HC remained on that team in 94 from the original and it was a full 5 years after their previous one. Just not enough there to connect to the dynasty.

Genghis Khan

Can you consider Larry Bird Celtics a dynasty or co-dynasty when the Showtime Lakers are considered more dominant?

1980 - Lakers win (Celtics lost conference. Bird’s rookie year)
1981 - Celtics win
1982 - Lakers win (Celtics lost conference vs 76ers)
1983 - Lakers win (Celtics lost semifinals)
1984 - Celtics win (Lakers lost Finals)
1985 - Lakers win (Celtics lost Finals)
1986 - Celtics win
1987 - Lakers win (Celtics lost Finals)
1988 - Lakers win (Celtics lost conference)

Both were incredible runs and both were dynasties.

Genghis Khan

I’d agree with this, but two in the context of sustained success and years of competing for championships also makes sense.

Championships alone are not the sole measure, though they are the greatest measure

I agree with this.

Genghis Khan

Name a dynasty with only 2 SB wins

I wouldn’t consider 70s Dolphins a dynasty and they’re probably the best of any two-win run with a third SB appearance

I think it's fair to call the 70s Cowboys a dynasty. Got 2 plus reached the super bowl for 50% of the decade. That's damn impressive.

Genghis Khan

The first rule is you don’t qualify without two SB wins

Yes I think bare minimum you have to have 2, and even with that you have to have significant context in addition to the 2 championships. Ideally 3 or more championships, but I do think there can be rare exceptions.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Does Landry's 20 consecutive winning season get consolation?

data

Forbes #1
17:48 - Im no lip reader, but I think Purdy says “shit. It was there.”

18:15 - With all that’s riding on this 4th and 1, Chiefs call a play right at Nick Bosa, leaving him unblocked. Bosa takes the cheese and himself out of the play. Balls.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

Does Landry's 20 consecutive winning season get consolation?
I'm not sure what you mean by consolation.

It's a unique case because Landry lasted so long but I would say the entire run (I think it was 65-85) would not be included as consideration for a dynasty, although damn impressive.

I think the dynasty consideration is the 70s run because Staubach plus Landry connects them and they never really had a dip.

The Meredith and White teams are too different I think to consider part of it even though there are some players from the 60s and 80s that can connect to the 70s championships.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not sure what you mean by consolation.

It's a unique case because Landry lasted so long but I would say the entire run (I think it was 65-85) would not be included as consideration for a dynasty, although damn impressive.

I think the dynasty consideration is the 70s run because Staubach plus Landry connects them and they never really had a dip.

The Meredith and White teams are too different I think to consider part of it even though there are some players from the 60s and 80s that can connect to the 70s championships.
As an extension of all this dynasty talk, I don't think a "greatest team of all time" can be considered anything beyond about a 5-6 year stretch, but it shouldn't be anything less than a 3 year stretch.

You need to have a handful of years of sustained success, but I don't think I can stretch past about 6 because the rosters will be too different and at that point you're really only talking about a HC and/or QB with maybe a handful of supporting players.

Like the 1988 49ers have almost no similarities to the 1981 49ers, so while you may consider that a dynasty of sorts, you're really just talking Montana, Walsh and a handful of others. Same thing with the 2000s Patriots vs. 2010s Patriots and so forth.

I do think the Chiefs are right there with what I would consider the actual greatest teams/stretches in NFL history but extending what you consider a "dynasty" to a decade plus is a bit ridiculous.

Let's say the Chiefs go 3-4 years without winning another SB, I don't think you can just lump in a 2028 Super Bowl champion Chiefs with the 2019 or 2022 Chiefs beyond the Mahomes legacy.

data

Forbes #1
Congratulations @shoop

Shoop karate kick'd the competition, wrapping it up early and making the Super Bowl a laugher.

Scoring 7 points, Josh Allen accepts the MVP trophy and Stone Cold's the double bird to everyone as shoop was the only one to select him. Conversely, scoring zero points for the three frustrated captains that selected him, Stefon Diggs earns the distinction for most disappointing.

Honorable mention for Most Valuable Set of Nipples goes to Mr. Cotton himself, Baker Mayfield. Scoring 6 points for second most (tied with Mahomes), Mayfield is to @Cotton as Sam Howell is to smitty. As a free agent for a Cowboys franchise in need of quality QB playoff play, Cotton beckons you to 'come home'

1st Place. shoop (24 points)
T2. data & @Genghis Khan (18)
4. @Rev (17)
5. @boozeman (13)
Last Place. Winner of the Mayfield award: Cotton (6)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I didn't agree to play your little game, Phyllis.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

data

Forbes #1
Which squad was better?

Position1971 Cowboys1977 Cowboys
QBStaubachStaubach
RBDuane ThomasTony Dorsett
FBWalt GarrisonRobert Newhouse
WRLance AlworthDrew Pearson
WRBullet Bob HayesGolden Richards
TEBilly TruaxBilly Joe DuPree
LTRalph NeelyRalph Neely
LGJohn NilandHerb Scott
CDave MandersJohn Fitzgerald
RGBlaine NyeTom Rafferty
RTRayfield WrightPat Donovan
LDELarry ColeToo Tall Jones
LDTJethro PughJethro Pugh
RDTBob LillyRandy White
RDEGeorge AndrieHarvey Martin
LLBDave EdwardsThomas Henderson
MLBLee Roy JordanBob Breunig
RLBChuck HowleyDD Lewis
LCBHerb AdderleyBenny Barnes
RCBMel RenfroAaron Kyle
SSCornell GreenCharlie Waters
FSCliff HarrisCliff Harris

Genghis Khan

Which squad was better?

Position1971 Cowboys1977 Cowboys
QBStaubachStaubach
RBDuane ThomasTony Dorsett
FBWalt GarrisonRobert Newhouse
WRLance AlworthDrew Pearson
WRBullet Bob HayesGolden Richards
TEBilly TruaxBilly Joe DuPree
LTRalph NeelyRalph Neely
LGJohn NilandHerb Scott
CDave MandersJohn Fitzgerald
RGBlaine NyeTom Rafferty
RTRayfield WrightPat Donovan
LDELarry ColeToo Tall Jones
LDTJethro PughJethro Pugh
RDTBob LillyRandy White
RDEGeorge AndrieHarvey Martin
LLBDave EdwardsThomas Henderson
MLBLee Roy JordanBob Breunig
RLBChuck HowleyDD Lewis
LCBHerb AdderleyBenny Barnes
RCBMel RenfroAaron Kyle
SSCornell GreenCharlie Waters
FSCliff HarrisCliff Harris

I was always partial to the 77 team because I knew some of the players better and I worshipped guys like Dorsett, Pearson, Too Tall, White, and Martin.

The truth is probably that they were something close to equal.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The '71 squad had more HOFers, but some of them were on the downside of their career. The D was more dominant than 1977, though, only giving up 18 points in three games. I guess I'd lean towards 1971.

data

Forbes #1
The '71 squad had more HOFers, but some of them were on the downside of their career.
That defense. With ‘71 being Staubach’s first year as starter, makes you wonder how many Super Bowl appearances/wins that group would have if he started after the NFL draft. An extra five years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom