2023 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
You make it sound complex. It's much simpler than that. Every human being has biases. In general officials tend to have a bias against us. Not every crew and not every week. But there is a reason why calls over time tend to favor some teams and not others. It's just a bias that officials have.
This is true. There have been a lot of instances where I've seen an OL who has a reputation for holding get called for ticky-tack penalties, and in that same game, an OL with a cleaner reputation gets away with murder. Lane Johnson is a great example. That guy constantly false starts but apparently he's a made man in the refs' eyes. If an OL with a shoddy rep did that exact same move they'd be flagging him several times per game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is true. There have been a lot of instances where I've seen an OL who has a reputation for holding get called for ticky-tack penalties, and in that same game, an OL with a cleaner reputation gets away with murder. Lane Johnson is a great example. That guy constantly false starts but apparently he's a made man in the refs' eyes. If an OL with a shoddy rep did that exact same move they'd be flagging him several times per game.
Yep, I don't think there is some mandate it's a lot of reputation. I'm sure Zach Martin can get away with a bit more than your average rookie too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep, I don't think there is some mandate it's a lot of reputation. I'm sure Zach Martin can get away with a bit more than your average rookie too.
It is all about that player learning how not to get called. But yes, rep goes a long way. Once the bullseye is there, it does not stop if you are a Cowboy. Look at Connor Williams.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Yeah, but Martin has yet to punk out any of the shit placekickers we have had recently.

Newt

DCC 4Life

Yeah, but Martin has yet to punk out any of the shit placekickers we have had recently.
Zack Martin is amazing. Would have been even better if Fred Beard was still around.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Zach has been awesome but that stat line hardly tells the story of what a player does. Larry Allen was an absolute monster as a run blocker for example. I'm not sure I've ever seen a guard like him when it comes to run blocking. But nothing in that graphic tells you how special he really was. I also find the 45 sacks allowed to be off but my memory isn't perfect.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Zach has been awesome but that stat line hardly tells the story of what a player does. Larry Allen was an absolute monster as a run blocker for example. I'm not sure I've ever seen a guard like him when it comes to run blocking. But nothing in that graphic tells you how special he really was. I also find the 45 sacks allowed to be off but my memory isn't perfect.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Agreed. No one is scared of Zach Martin. He doesn't make defensive linemen come down with Martinitis and not play that week. Larry Allen wrecked motherfuckers.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Agreed. No one is scared of Zach Martin. He doesn't make defensive linemen come down with Martinitis and not play that week. Larry Allen wrecked motherfuckers.
There is the difference. Martin is the guy every coach would like to have. Allen was the one every player wanted to have on their team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In all fairness, LA had to protect a stationary target... while Martin has had the benefit of mobile QB's who are/were adept at avoiding pressure.
Level of extreme fucking dominance:

LA >>>>>>>> Martin

No defender wanted to get Larry mad. The guy played every position on the field except center… and still dominated. Who TF else did that, like ever?

Larry fell victim to a joke of a coaching staff that stopped holding him accountable, but in his best days he was darned near the best that played in this league.

Martin holds his own standards of greatness without a doubt. Second place all-time ain’t such a bad place to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom