2023 NFL Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So weird to me how some guys like this don't get a visit. Is it a sign we are higher on them than the league? Or is it a sign that teams aren't worried about him at all beyond the obvious size limitations.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seem to recall somebody showing their ass at that camp before, but they didn’t ghost the event.
It's also a little weird to me that he committed the night before? I mean isn't that stuff usually planned out a little?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Here is the McGinn grumpy scout on the OL class:

“This is the worst offensive-line crowd in the history of the draft — maybe,” a long-in-the-tooth NFL personnel executive. “We have like 15 guys in our top 150. For an entire 32-team league. We need 320 linemen.

“It’s so bad,” he continued. “There’s going to be some reaches on offensive linemen in this draft. I think every lineman in the top 100 overall will go a half-round to a full round, if not two rounds, higher than they normally would in a given year.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Here is the McGinn grumpy scout on the OL class:

“This is the worst offensive-line crowd in the history of the draft — maybe,” a long-in-the-tooth NFL personnel executive. “We have like 15 guys in our top 150. For an entire 32-team league. We need 320 linemen.

“It’s so bad,” he continued. “There’s going to be some reaches on offensive linemen in this draft. I think every lineman in the top 100 overall will go a half-round to a full round, if not two rounds, higher than they normally would in a given year.”
Sounds about right, I think Tyler Smith, even as a prospect, was better than Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones, and of course there's absolutely no comparison with guys like Charles Cross and Ekwonu last year.

Skoronski is the best OL prospect in the class but he probably has to kick inside to OG.

I agree that guys like Avila, Tippmann and the Minnesota center would probably go mid-2nd most years but could get pushed up to late 1/early 2 just because the class is so weak.

I'd still be very happy with Avila at 26 though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sounds about right, I think Tyler Smith, even as a prospect, was better than Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones, and of course there's absolutely no comparison with guys like Charles Cross and Ekwonu last year.

Skoronski is the best OL prospect in the class but he probably has to kick inside to OG.

I agree that guys like Avila, Tippmann and the Minnesota center would probably go mid-2nd most years but could get pushed up to late 1/early 2 just because the class is so weak.

I'd still be very happy with Avila at 26 though.
I expect a run in the late first early second. Teams will panic if they think the class is weak.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I expect a run in the late first early second. Teams will panic if they think the class is weak.
Yeah I mean I think the interior Oline class is definitely thin this year. OT doesn't seem unusually bad to me but you almost have to steal OTs to play guard to fill the needs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McGinn on the TE class:

My survey of 16 personnel men in the past few weeks asked them to rank the tight ends on a 1-to-5 basis, with a first-place vote worth five points, a second worth four and so on. Michael Mayer led with 10 firsts and 68 ½ points, followed by Dalton Kincaid (61, five firsts), Darnell Washington (40, one), Sam LaPorta (26 ½), Luke Musgrave (21), Tucker Kraft (11), Luke Schoonmaker (10) and Brenton Strange (two).

“There will be guys in the third, fourth, maybe even the fifth round that end up starting,” said an AFC exec. “I could see two going in the first. Then the third, to me, gets foggy. Darnell Washington tested like crazy but he didn’t play like that. He’s a maybe.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
McGinn on the TE class:

My survey of 16 personnel men in the past few weeks asked them to rank the tight ends on a 1-to-5 basis, with a first-place vote worth five points, a second worth four and so on. Michael Mayer led with 10 firsts and 68 ½ points, followed by Dalton Kincaid (61, five firsts), Darnell Washington (40, one), Sam LaPorta (26 ½), Luke Musgrave (21), Tucker Kraft (11), Luke Schoonmaker (10) and Brenton Strange (two).

“There will be guys in the third, fourth, maybe even the fifth round that end up starting,” said an AFC exec. “I could see two going in the first. Then the third, to me, gets foggy. Darnell Washington tested like crazy but he didn’t play like that. He’s a maybe.”
Interesting that they have LaPorta over Musgrave, I think I agree. Musgrave has maybe the highest ceiling in the whole class but there's just very little to no track record, lots of risk there in a class where there are lots of guys who are basically very high floor but also high ceiling types.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
I'm among the many who thought Musgrave looked sort of ordinary, for whatever reason.

I was impressed with LaPorta. He's sneaky smooth and athletic.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm among the many who thought Musgrave looked sort of ordinary, for whatever reason.

I was impressed with LaPorta. He's sneaky smooth and athletic.
He runs funny and it throws defenders off.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The agent matters. For example, when is the last time Dallas signed a Rosenhaus client?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Agents only matter for the second contract, not the rookie one.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
Okay, the white knighting is getting a little thick. Apparently Quinn was just asked what he thought could possibly make Stroud drop. He overall was very positive about him. This narrative that he was trying to destroy a young kid's career is pretty ridiculous. Like NFL scouts are going to care what Brady Quinn said on some podcast anyway.

And for the record, I don't give one shit about the Mannings. I'm actually very sick of seeing Peyton's face on every other ad.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This narrative that he was trying to destroy a young kid's career is pretty ridiculous.
True, but he can't just blithely say "I heard." You better have your facts down pat when you make an accusation like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom