Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Lovie really screwed the Texans on the way out by winning that last game. :lol

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He's a freak, definitely the highest ceiling of any TE in the class as a receiver but he's very unrefined as a route runner and it's a risk that you're taking to develop him. The interesting thing is that he might literally be the best blocking TE in the league as a rookie, which kind of offsets some of that risk, although nobody wants to spend a 1 on an average receiving TE who is an awesome run blocker.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jeremiah has Zay Flowers up to 29th in his latest rankings, I say this not because I think Jeremiah is some otherworldly evaluator, but because he has deep ties in the league and I think his rankings often times reflect league sentiment.

We'll see how he runs this week but I got him solidly as the 4th WR in the class (maybe even 3rd above Johnston) and would be more than fine with him at 26.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jeremiah has Zay Flowers up to 29th in his latest rankings, I say this not because I think Jeremiah is some otherworldly evaluator, but because he has deep ties in the league and I think his rankings often times reflect league sentiment.

We'll see how he runs this week but I got him solidly as the 4th WR in the class (maybe even 3rd above Johnston) and would be more than fine with him at 26.
I think he goes first round. I'll bet there are 5 first round receivers. I'd be happy at 26. We need a guy like him.

Hell maybe get passes up a Smith-Njigba if he runs a 4.55 or something.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think he goes first. I'll bet there are 5 first round receivers. I'd be happy at 26. We need a guy like him.
Yea it's going to be interesting to see what we do in free agency, basically if we don't sign Beckham I think you can more or less pencil in WR in the first.

If we sign him you have to assume Schultz will be gone which makes TE one of the strongest possibilities. What we do on the OL will be fascinating as well because Torrence could be a strong possibility as well.

I doubt we go defense in the first, which is probably for the best, although I'd love to add a guy like Anudike-Uzomah just to further bolster the pass rush.

I'm not advocating for signing Beckham at all.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'll be curious to see that forty. The draft show made it sound like he will be more of a 5.0 kind of guy.
Anything above about 4.75 and I think he's completely out of first round consideration, he's too raw as a receiver to take that risk that high.

But if he runs in the 4.6's I think anything is on the table.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Another random thought, I feel like DT is a position that we should be prioritizing in the 2nd, perhaps with a trade up, but not in the 1st.

You have a number of guys who are nice prospects but none are well rounded necessarily. Ika is basically a 2-down player, Kancey is 280 lbs and might even be sub-6 feet, Tuipulotu is a tweener like Kancey in terms of being an interior pass-rusher but best fits as a run-stuffing DE on neutral downs, Mazi Smith has a little more juice than Ika but is probably mostly a 2-down player as well, Benton might be the most well rounded but doesn't look special enough to go in the 1st.

Bresee is definitely the most talented of them all but might be a medical red flag, although I'd very strongly consider him at 26.

Depending on how things fall I'd be looking to move up 10-15 spots early on day 2 for one of these guys, especially Bresee.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything above about 4.75 and I think he's completely out of first round consideration, he's too raw as a receiver to take that risk that high.

But if he runs in the 4.6's I think anything is on the table.
I don't think he goes in the first unless he has a real freaky workout.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another random thought, I feel like DT is a position that we should be prioritizing in the 2nd, perhaps with a trade up, but not in the 1st.

You have a number of guys who are nice prospects but none are well rounded necessarily. Ika is basically a 2-down player, Kancey is 280 lbs and might even be sub-6 feet, Tuipulotu is a tweener like Kancey in terms of being an interior pass-rusher but best fits as a run-stuffing DE on neutral downs, Mazi Smith has a little more juice than Ika but is probably mostly a 2-down player as well, Benton might be the most well rounded but doesn't look special enough to go in the 1st.

Bresee is definitely the most talented of them all but might be a medical red flag, although I'd very strongly consider him at 26.

Depending on how things fall I'd be looking to move up 10-15 spots early on day 2 for one of these guys, especially Bresee.
Benton, Mazi, Ika, or Kancey. Give me whoever is left by our pick in the second. I'm not high on Breese. Give me whoever falls of the other 4. Really wish we had multiple seconds. I have the same feeling on interior olineman. But only one second round pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Benton, Mazi, Ika, or Kancey. Give me whoever is left by our pick in the second. I'm not high on Breese. Give me whoever falls of the other 4. Really wish we had multiple seconds. I have the same feeling on interior olineman. But only one second round pick.
Tuipulotu is very legit though, could be a force on the interior and probably brings something of a traditional edge rush also while Kancey seems like a guy who needs to be on the interior to win with his pass rush.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuipulotu is very legit though, could be a force on the interior and probably brings something of a traditional edge rush also while Kancey seems like a guy who needs to be on the interior to win with his pass rush.
Kancey is weird but I like him. I always like to think about weight in combination with height. Sure he only weights lets say 280 he comes in at. Well if he was 6'4" instead of 6', that may not be much different than a 6'4" 300 pound dude. The height is a detriment but it also gives him some advantages. And his quickness and agility is insane for the interior.

Sign me up for Tuli too. I was viewing him as a DE but at his size it shouldn't be hard to grow into DT. I love a guy that size that can produce double digit sacks. At 6'4" 290 he isn't far from being one of those 6'4" 300 pound 3 tech types.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Kancey is weird but I like him. I always like to think about weight in combination with height. Sure he only weights lets say 280 he comes in at. Well if he was 6'4" instead of 6', that may not be much different than a 6'4" 300 pound dude. The height is a detriment but it also gives him some advantages. And his quickness and agility is insane for the interior.

Sign me up for Tuli too. I was viewing him as a DE but at his size it shouldn't be hard to grow into DT. I love a guy that size that can produce double digit sacks. At 6'4" 290 he isn't far from being one of those 6'4" 300 pound 3 tech types.
Yep, big fan of them both if we were to trade down into like the 40ish range, but not a fan of them at 26 really unless Kancey runs a 4.65 like Donald (or I guess theoretically if Tulipulotu did too but that would be shocking).

Both fit a similar mold, undersized DT's who could be terrors from the interior in clear nickel/dime pass-rushing situations, but on neutral downs are probably jumbo DE's, almost like a 3-4 DE.

That more or less fits what Quinn wants to do with his front, it's just a matter of how highly we value a player like that.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
why do schools always fucking lie about the real height of their players? to protect their feelings? to gain some sort of advantage? it's gay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, big fan of them both if we were to trade down into like the 40ish range, but not a fan of them at 26 really unless Kancey runs a 4.65 like Donald (or I guess theoretically if Tulipulotu did too but that would be shocking).

Both fit a similar mold, undersized DT's who could be terrors from the interior in clear nickel/dime pass-rushing situations, but on neutral downs are probably jumbo DE's, almost like a 3-4 DE.

That more or less fits what Quinn wants to do with his front, it's just a matter of how highly we value a player like that.
I mean I think you can play a 3 technique all 3 downs. But you'll be rotating with Osi for that spot. So yeah the real advantage is passing situations where you throw Kancey and Odiggy at DT and get after it. While not putting a smaller DE at DT to accomplish the pass rush. Tuli can certainly play more DE. I actually think his highlights look pretty good at DE. For a 290 pound dude they had him play with his hand off the ground like a 3-4 OLBer and he destroyed some OTs. I wouldn't be shocked to see a team consider him as a pure DE. Your stereotypical LE type. But I sort of have Williams penciled in as a future starter so I'm not real eager for a pure DE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom