2023 Draft Chatter Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Pin this bitch because we all know that this season is pretty much over.

Dak will probably be back sometime around midseason, at which point we'll probably be about 2-6 or 3-7, but Russell Wilson missed some time last year with a similar injury to his throwing hand and was clearly not the same once he came back. The offense was clearly shit last night, and maybe it gets better as the year goes on, but how much can you really expect with a less than 100% Dak coming back in late October or whatever and trying to round into form as he goes?

At this point 7 wins seems like a ceiling, which would have us somewhere around the 8th pick, but obviously we could do worse.

So with that in mind, and considering we're...checks notes...2 weeks into the college football season, here's what I'm currently thinking depending on what range we fall in:

Top 5

Will Anderson Jr.
Jalen Carter
Bryce Young

6-10

Peter Skoronski
Jordan Addison
Myles Murphy

10-15

Michael Mayer
Siaki Ika
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Gervon Dexter
Nolan Smith
Bryan Bresee

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bryce Young.

We'll see how the rest of this year goes but it seems like this is going to be a big point of contention.

The reality of the situation though is that I don't think we'll ever actually take him or probably any other QB, especially if the plan is to hire Payton with the idea of him rehabbing the offense as is, plus a new WR/OL or two.

So let's just hope we get into a position where we can nab Anderson or Carter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking at WRs and QBs but I doubt we go QB and I don't see that special WR yet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm looking at WRs and QBs but I doubt we go QB and I don't see that special WR yet.
I think Jordan Addison might be better than any WR that came out this past year.

I'm not taking him top 5 over a guy like Anderson or Carter, or a QB of course, but if we're sitting at 9 or something he'd be a strong consideration.

I'd want to move Lamb in that scenario though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Jordan Addison might be better than any WR that came out this past year.

I'm not taking him top 5 over a guy like Anderson or Carter, or a QB of course, but if we're sitting at 9 or something he'd be a strong consideration.

I'd want to move Lamb in that scenario though.
I'd keep Lamb and Tolbert but the rest of the receiver Corp could be dumped and no NFL team would be fighting for their services. Seriously, would these even make another roster?

Wish there was a real freak WR but I like Addison too.

Of course rebuilding the Oline is still a concern too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd keep Lamb and Tolbert but the rest of the receiver Corp could be dumped and no NFL team would be fighting for their services. Seriously, would these even make another roster?

Wish there was a real freak WR but I like Addison too.

Of course rebuilding the Oline is still a concern too.
I think the real special talents in the top 5 are Anderson, Carter and Young, although the QB landscape can change rapidly as guys burst onto the scene like Burrow did so that's a fluid situation.

But Anderson is on the Bosa/Young/Garrett/Khalil Mack tier in terms of edge rusher prospects and if he's on the board I'm taking him almost regardless of who else is available. I think Carter is a notch below but probably similar to Quinnen Williams as a prospect.

But those guys are all top 5 locks, if we're in that 6-10 range that's when I start looking at OL (Skoronski) or WR (Addison) as well.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Pointless to float QB names. We're stuck with Dak for at least two more years and the Joneses don't like to admit they made a mistake. Drafting a QB with our first pick would be such an admission.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Pointless to float QB names. We're struck with Dak for at least two more years and the Joneses don't like to admit they made a mistake. Drafting a QB with our first pick would be such an admission.
Probably not but that's what the chatter thread is for!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
With that said, I'm 10000000% out on Anthony Richardson, I find it hilarious that this dude is talked about in the top 10 when he looks like a 4th rounder.

Levis and Stroud I'm down on, but open minded to see how they play the rest of the year.

Young is my guy but again, long year.

We'll see if anybody else makes a Burrow-like jump out of nowhere, but short of that, it's Will Anderson all day, every day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With that said, I'm 10000000% out on Anthony Richardson, I find it hilarious that this dude is talked about in the top 10 when he looks like a 4th rounder.

Levis and Stroud I'm down on, but open minded to see how they play the rest of the year.

Young is my guy but again, long year.

We'll see if anybody else makes a Burrow-like jump out of nowhere, but short of that, it's Will Anderson all day, every day.
Alabama and Ohio State QBs just sort of leave a bad taste in the mouth. I think I start from the position of doubting them before they prove otherwise.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Alabama and Ohio State QBs just sort of leave a bad taste in the mouth. I think I start from the position of doubting them before they prove otherwise.
Generally I'm against them too given the structural advantages they enjoy at those programs but to me the most important traits for a QB are pocket presence/ability to subtly manipulate space in the pocket to buy time, accuracy, and a quick release/ability to get the ball out from different angles and body positions.

And I think Young really excels in most or all of those areas, and Alabama's OL struggled quite a bit last year (Auburn) yet he still played really well and eviscerated Georgia's defense with like 6 1st rounders in the SECC, prior to losing his top 2 WR's for the national championship.

But aside from him I don't really love any other QB's yet.

I also think Anderson might be special enough that you just take him no matter what, especially if you already have a generally competent QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Generally I'm against them too given the structural advantages they enjoy at those programs but to me the most important traits for a QB are pocket presence/ability to subtly manipulate space in the pocket to buy time, accuracy, and a quick release/ability to get the ball out from different angles and body positions.

And I think Young really excels in most or all of those areas, and Alabama's OL struggled quite a bit last year (Auburn) yet he still played really well and eviscerated Georgia's defense with like 6 1st rounders in the SECC, prior to losing his top 2 WR's for the national championship.

But aside from him I don't really love any other QB's yet.

I also think Anderson might be special enough that you just take him no matter what, especially if you already have a generally competent QB.
I feel like I need to watch Levis but not sure why. We won't draft him anyway.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Pointless to float QB names. We're stuck with Dak for at least two more years and the Joneses don't like to admit they made a mistake. Drafting a QB with our first pick would be such an admission.
Yep.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 years in a row now with substantial injuries. It's about time to not only look at it from a Dak is a good/bad QB perspective and start looking at it as a "is his body breaking down" perspective.

Much like the year we drafted Dak, I would just go ahead and start looking for Daks heir. But we won't. Best we can hope for is another middle round Dak type hope and dream pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When Cooper Rush outperforms Dak, Jerry is going to pretend he's found his QB of the future

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He isn’t going to outperform Prescott.

In fact, Fat Mike might go to Grier if he gets desperate.
Grier at least has some upside. He has more mobility and is just a better thrower of the football. The guy could be an outright turd but he easily looked better in preseason.

Top Bottom