**2023 Cowboys Pre-Draft Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a 0.0% chance LB is a top 3 need, LVE is a solid established starter, Clark showed promise as a rookie and half the time we use Kearse/Wilson as LB's to begin with.

Our top needs are DT, TE, RB and interior OL to cover for an inevitable Tyron injury.
None of them are huge needs in my book. Maybe DT but I think we sign a NT cheap and suddenly it's not a huge need.

I'm with you on LBer. We may need numbers but that's everywhere. Talking depth guys basically. I'm not sure we aren't looking at a similar situation at TE.

RB is a spot where the guy you draft may be basically splitting starter snaps.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't agree. I don't trust LVE's health, and in a lot of packages Kearse has to actually play safety. We need another LBer bad.
Our most common alignment last year was 6 DB's (3 safeties, 3 CB's), 4 rushers and 1 traditional LB, so our safeties whether it's Wilson or Kearse, actually operate as our 3rd and often 2nd "LB".

And if I had to guess someone like Mukuamu or Bell is probably next up on the depth chart to fill in the Clark 2nd "LB" role if something happens to LVE and Clark has to play as our primary LB.

I agree that we need more depth but it's less of a need than these other spots.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
None of them are huge needs in my book. Maybe DT but I think we sign a NT cheap and suddenly it's not a huge need.

I'm with you on LBer. We may need numbers but that's everywhere. Talking depth guys basically. I'm not sure we aren't looking at a similar situation at TE.

RB is a spot where the guy you draft may be basically splitting starter snaps.
Yea we actually have almost no true needs assuming we resign Hankins or someone similar eventually.

In an ideal world we'd add an impact DT/interior rusher but it's not some massive glaring issue.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In an ideal world we'd add an impact DT/interior rusher but it's not some massive glaring issue.
I agree, it's why I would consider Kancey. I just think he is the closest thing to an impact DT in this draft not named Jalen Carter. And he doesn't have Carters red flags. But his size is scary.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea we actually have almost no true needs assuming we resign Hankins or someone similar eventually.

I feel confident we draft a guy, but also either re-sign Hankins and/or sign another capable FA:

Armon Watts, Breiden Fehoko, Chris Wormley....not a lot of good ones left at this point...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So now PFF limits you to one mock draft a day? And it won't even grade them unless you're a subscriber?

The hell, man.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys mock draft: 2 simulations present opportunities to strengthen offense
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND - NOVEMBER 12: Michael Mayer #87 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish runs with the ball after making a catch against the Navy Midshipmen at M&T Bank Stadium on November 12, 2022 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by G Fiume/Getty Images)

By Bob Sturm
4h ago
If you know me, you’re aware that I am not the world’s biggest fan of the mock draft. If we don’t know what one team is actually going to do, how the heck are we supposed to know what 32 teams are going to do?

Nevertheless, people seem to enjoy the general premise of “war games” and the way we play the hypotheticals of what could happen, what might happen and most certainly what won’t happen.

So, a time or two when we get to the one-month-to-go mark, I will grab a simulator and play it out for the edification of anyone who wants to see it. I will offer a few of these, most likely, but here is my first crack at it now that I am more than 80 percent of the way through my Sturm 60 and getting to the end of my annual project.

This week, I used Pro Football Focus’ simulator and mocked the first three rounds. Since I am only worried about picks 26, 58 and 90, let’s do it two times to see a couple machinations of what might fit. You know my objectives are to enhance the offensive playmakers this offseason and with all due respect to Brandin Cooks, this is the best way to really fill some long-term needs. Let’s call the first draft the “Dallas” draft and the second one”Cowboys” so you can pick the one you like most.

Cowboys Draft Digests: TE | WR, Part 1 | WR, Part 2 | RB | C/G | OT | Edge

Mock Draft No. 1: Dallas

This first simulation took me to two potential considerations at No. 26. I could go get the tight end I really like in Dalton Kincaid from Utah and RB Bijan Robinson from Texas. They both satisfy my desire to add significant playmaking to this offense and assemble guys who will help create big plays. I am torn because I think I hesitate about running back because I know there will always be a solid RB at No. 58. I also hesitate to take a tight end this high because I worry that Dallas will not allow him to be the de-facto receiver that Kincaid can truly be. I have followed Mike McCarthy for many years and I don’t recall too many times where he really turned the tight end loose. He likes his tight ends to be blockers first and checkdowns, so I hope he has really evolved. Also, there will not be top-shelf tight end at 58, so if I want a special one, it better be here.

Pick No. 26: Dalton Kincaid, tight end, Utah

Look, I know Jerry Jones is taking Robinson if he is there, but I just think I can get a facsimile in Round 2, so I would take Kincaid. By the way, Robinson went to Buffalo with the very next pick. I may regret that choice.

What did the board look like at 26 for other choices?
• Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
• Will McDonald, edge, Iowa State
• Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina
• Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State
• Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan
• O’Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida
• Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State.

On to pick No. 58.

Here, there are several options, but I do want to keep this impressive running back idea front and center. Just to show you why I made the decision at 26, we still have attractive RB choices, but very few tight ends. My best five players on the board will be WR Tank Dell (Houston), OL Joe Tippmann (Wisconsin), OT Matthew Bergeron (Syracuse), G Cody Mauch (North Dakota State), RB Zach Charbonnet (UCLA) and RB Devon Achane (Texas A&M). The only tight end left that I valued on Day 2 is Tucker Kraft from South Dakota State.

Players who should be in play for the Cowboys if still avaialble at Pick 26

Pick No. 58: Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

Picking between Charbonnet and Achane is an interesting conversation and there is no doubt that the Aggies’ sprinter is the one with the most juice, but when Tony Pollard exits after this season (possibly), which of these two would I trust to be a “bell cow” and primary back in 2024? Probably the big one from UCLA who just seems to be the type of 215-pound player the odds like a bit more. I did think about WR and OL here, too, but I think Charbonnet is the best player on my board and a great pick at 58, even though I really wrestle with Mauch. This choice could go either way — give me the big RB.

To pick 90, where I vow to take the best player available on either side of the ball.

Pick No. 90: DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

I think this is the way to go here as Overshown adds a talented piece to my linebacker group where I am building depth, but nobody has quite emerged as a quality regular from these past few drafts. That may happen, but now I have the Longhorn talent to force action.

For those curious, the next five guys I was looking at but passed on included:

• Zach Harrison, edge, Ohio State
• Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, corner, TCU
• Garrett Williams, corner, Syracuse
• Byron Young, edge, Tennessee
• Mike Morris, edge, Michigan

I don’t hate those three guys, but let’s run it back.

Mock Draft No. 2: Cowboys
Isn’t this interesting? In our second simulation, Robinson (No. 20) and Kincaid (No. 25) are gone. Instead, our options are Maryland cornerback Deonte Banks, USC WR Jordan Addison, Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer, McDonald (edge, Iowa State) and Downs (WR, North Carolina).

This comes down to Mayer and Addison. Very interesting choice and I have both with first-round grades. I really like Addison, but do I believe the Cowboys will invest fully in a WR this high with all of his measurable issues? Not really. I think this will be a positive no-brainer for the Cowboys’ front office.

Pick No. 26: Michael Mayer, tight end, Notre Dame

He is exactly the type of tight end McCarthy would pound the table for and I believe would — in some ways — make you think about Jason Witten. I suggest this one is enough to get the war room doing handstands.

Let’s proceed to No. 58. It is interesting that basically the same suspects are on the board as our first mock. Dell, Bergeron, Charbonnet, Achan, and Mauch. They are joined by a couple defensive tackles, including Baylor’s Siaki Ika and Wisconsin’s Keeanu Benton. The cool thing about a second mock is that I can cover my bases after passing on my guy Mauch in the last version.

Pick No. 58: Cody Mauch, guard/tackle, North Dakota State

I am really excited about this one. Mauch is my guy and with a first-second round grade, I feel like the value is excellent. Yes, I’ve played Charbonnet vs. Mauch both ways in this spot, but I think that is indicative of how I feel there is no wrong answer here. Could you imagine what Mauch and Mayer would do to this offense? I get excited just thinking about it. Let’s go to No. 90.

At this spot, we see that the third-round running back options are excellent. We have Tank Bigsby (Auburn), Kendre Miller (TCU), Tyjae Spears (Tulane) and Deuce Vaughn (Kansas State). But, I can also grab LSU’s Kayshon Boutte at receiver here. Overshown is also available, but I think variety is the spice of life.

Pick No. 90: Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane

It is a solid debate on whether I should take my top back in Spears or my best available receiver in Boutte. I am again torn, but I will say that I am not ready to chase Jalen Tolbert away just yet. I will take the Spears because I have good memories from taking guys who had excellent Cotton Bowls as their last college game (Micah Parsons reference).

Man, look how much better my offense looks now! By the way, Kendre Miller was the next running back selected.

The only thing more useless when it comes to draft-day grades in real life would be PFF thinking it can give me a D-minus on Mauch in Round 2. Sorry, guys, but that pick is money.

Which one do you like more? Where did I go wrong? That was fun and I think it shows how much the Cowboys can accomplish to really help the facelift continue in earnest — especially on the offense.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I will take the Spears because I have good memories from taking guys who had excellent Cotton Bowls as their last college game (Micah Parsons reference).
Please tell me this is a joke, Bob.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Haters. I bet Mike Tag has a new box of those ready for April 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom