2023 Cowboys Free Agency

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is actually a good strategy if they were 4th or 5th rounders.

Ultimately they did the right thing letting both walk for comp picks rather than paying for mediocre, marginal starters. But ideally not the best ending for 2nd/3rd rounders.
Yeah it's hard, that price is not ideal for your fifth best starting Olineman. If it was cheaper I'd resign him. But at that price just reduce Tyron Smith's salary and draft a dude somewhere. You can't resign every first/second/third rounder. The fact that he got that much money at least tells you he wasn't a bust.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yep, too much for him. Almost 8 a year.
Yep, I wanted him back for about $5M, maybe $6M/year, but $8M is way too much for me even if the plan was to make him the starter at LG indefinitely, and of course that isn't even the plan since our ideal starting lineup is likely Tyron-Tyler-Biadasz-Martin-Steele.

Can't pay a guy $8M/year that you're planning to be a backup in 2023.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or the plan is to draft someone like Avila in the 2nd, which I'd love.
I would love that. I think him and Tyler on the left side would be beastly. Throw in a big back to run behind them and maybe we can bully people.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Damn, that sucks losing Mongo.

I don't like the idea of Tyler playing G. And we know Tyron will get hurt before long. And we might not have Steele back for the first few games.

I guess we're going to pick up some scrap heap G a couple weeks from now. He better be more than just a total spare.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm ok not spending that on McGovern but we should be using those savings to sign a legit impact player. Instead we will do nothing and claim it's all Daks fault. Meanwhile 26 mil of our cap is being eaten up at RB to make it look like we don't have much room.

You could afford a Hargrave with the types of savings we are making. But instead we will sign shit. Sadly it doesn't even upset me anymore. It's just life. I just enjoy pointing out the stupidity of Stephen and Jerry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's not true. Teams overpay in free agency all the time.

That said, I don't think he sucks. He's just marginal. That's not the guy you pay.
I mean if he was a stud he would be getting more money than that. But you can't tell me a guy getting almost 8 mil is a bust. Other NFL teams obviously view him as a starter so he must have done something right in Dallas. Solid starter or average starter isn't a bad pick in the third round. Not saying it was a home run. Obviously it wasn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing is that the Bills were proactive and gave Allen a longer-term deal so they could have more cap flexibility, hopefully dumbass Stephen has figured out how to manage something like that by now.
Dak still only counts 20 some mil against our cap. His number still hasn't been that high. It's all a fucking illusion. Dak has zero to do with our lack of activity in free agency. 26 mil for RB sitting on our books right now is a much bigger reason. And that's by choice for these dumbasses.

p1_

DCC 4Life
My only issue with this is that Farniok better be ready to start half a season or more. Odds are good Tyron won't make more starts than that.
Book that. Tyler will be at LT , and then what?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The thing is that the Bills were proactive and gave Allen a longer-term deal so they could have more cap flexibility, hopefully dumbass Stephen has figured out how to manage something like that by now.

To be fair, reportedly Dak insisted on a short term deal and that was a big sticking point in how long it took to get done. If true I can't blame the team for that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
To be fair, reportedly Dak insisted on a short term deal and that was a big sticking point in how long it took to get done. If true I can't blame the team for that.
Yeah, he def was eyeing a second big contract .

Genghis Khan

Book that. Tyler will be at LT , and then what?

And then Farniok or some rookie will be at guard and we'll barely notice for 3 or 4 games.

I'd have liked McGovern back cheaply but it's not wise to overpay for a guy like that.

He never took the bull by the horns and stood out as the unquestioned starter at the position and yet now we're supposed to worry that he signed elsewhere in free agency?

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

That's my issue. And we could have cut Tyron and saved more money than McGovern cost. But Tyron is a warrior! who is always hurt...
Cutting Smith in order to keep McGovern would be 100% for money reasons and exactly how you make your team worse.

Smith is probably 10 times the quality of player that McGovern is.

Even if they keep Smith's salary at 17 (which I'm not sure is likely) he's worth it over McGovern at 8 or any price.

And in practical terms, unless I'm mistaken I believe that cutting Tyron would save about 9 million dollars. Which means cutting Tyron then signing McGovern at 8 would net you about $1 million in savings. Even if I were inclined to consider it, $1 million savings is almost nothing, certainly not worth the big gap in ability.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And then Farniok or some rookie will be at guard and we'll barely notice for 3 or 4 games.

I'd have liked McGovern back cheaply but it's not wise to overpay for a guy like that.

He never took the bull by the horns and stood out as the unquestioned starter at the position and yet now we're supposed to worry that he signed elsewhere in free agency?
I liked Farniok in preseason. I don't know if he is that far behind McGovern from last year.

Top Bottom