2023 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They'd absolutely be destroying him and rightfully so. It's a very lazy generalization and if that's his approach, he deserves to miss out on the great players his recruiting method purposely excludes.
Yeah and I'm sure to some extent he is just trying to be funny. I don't think he would ignore a 5 star DE who comes from a good family and home.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah and I'm sure to some extent he is just trying to be funny. I don't think he would ignore a 5 star DE who comes from a good family and home.
I don't either, but most coaches couldn't even joke about it.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
They'd absolutely be destroying him and rightfully so. It's a very lazy generalization and if that's his approach, he deserves to miss out on the great players his recruiting method purposely excludes.
Parcells said something similar about "black guys from the South with big butts," but there was no outrage at the time.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Parcells said something similar about "black guys from the South with big butts," but there was no outrage at the time.
Talking about the size of somebody's ass is different than talking about if they're from a poor and broken home, or how they're smart if they have both parents.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That sounds more like Jimmy The Greek than Parcells.

Parcells had a problem with the orientals.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Imagine the NIL deals this tubbo can rack up.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Good news for those of us who oppose this largely unregulated wild west version of the transfer portal. I ran across this in an article from The Athletic.

------------------------------------

Third time isn’t the charm

One more rule change to keep in mind: The NCAA is trying to make it tougher for players to transfer twice.

The one-time transfer exception was adopted in 2021 to let players transfer once — for any reason — and be immediately eligible at their new school. The intent wasn’t to permit unlimited transfers, but players transferring multiple times could seek a waiver to be able to play right away.

In January, the D-I Council updated its guidelines for approving waivers for underclassmen who are transferring a second time. A lack of playing time or a coaching change won’t be good enough. Players now need a documented injury, illness or mental health issue or other “exigent circumstances” (such as physical or sexual assault) to justify immediate eligibility at their next school.

This is sure to alter the spring transfer market. If a player who has previously transferred wants to re-enter the portal and play elsewhere this fall, their best bet is doing so as a grad transfer. We’ll see if these underclassmen who transfer twice are actually willing to sit out a year of residence or if they’d rather take their chances at a junior college. For coaches, though, the rule change does provide a faint sense of security. Players who transferred into their program and haven’t graduated are much less likely to leave over the next few weeks.

The only players they’ll have to worry about? Everyone else.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, the transfer portal situation right now is terrible.

In the rush for player empowerment and rights, everyone forgot that the ultimate product which generates all the money, ie, the team and it's performance on the field, suffers badly with unregulated and unrestricted player movement. It's the same in pro sports, when free agency goes too wild it's bad for the leagues. And it's the same when the players push back on hard practices and physicality, it's like, uh, guys.... well disciplined teams that practiced hard is what made the sport good.

Careful not to kill the golden goose. Yes, the colleges had too much power for too long, but in your rush to get you your share, you could ruin the product that's actually allowing you to get paid.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, the transfer portal situation right now is terrible.

In the rush for player empowerment and rights, everyone forgot that the ultimate product which generates all the money, ie, the team and it's performance on the field, suffers badly with unregulated and unrestricted player movement. It's the same in pro sports, when free agency goes too wild it's bad for the leagues. And it's the same when the players push back on hard practices and physicality, it's like, uh, guys.... well disciplined teams that practiced hard is what made the sport good.

Careful not to kill the golden goose. Yes, the colleges had too much power for too long, but in your rush to get you your share, you could ruin the product that's actually allowing you to get paid.
The problem is a combination of the transfer portal rules and NIL.

Cotton

Staff member
It was just a few years ago we were being told the amazing fact that Antonio Gates played basketball!
Sure seems like it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He should have gone to QB factory UNC instead of that college football graveyard that is Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom