2022 Season | Week 8 | Thursday Night Football Chatter Thread | Ravens at Buccaneers | 10/27/2022

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
One draft expert to rule them all. Who is it?

- Kiper, Buchsbaum, Gosselin, Brugler, etc.
Gosselin, easily. Brugler is overrated and Kiper hasn't been good in what, fifteen years? Don't know who the heck Buchsbaum is.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Buchsbaum was the original gangsta. Gosselin just used his networks for one mock, he didn’t study players himself.
Yea he's the godfather of the entire draft cottage industry that exists today and actually pored over film like a scout and obsessed to the point of driving himself to death basically. Most NFL scouts live very lonely, isolated lives out on the road for probably about 7 months out of the year but Buchsbaum isolated himself like that and obsessed over it purely because he loved it, not because it was a job necessarily.

These other guys nowadays are just cheap imitations, although I do think guys like Brugler understand what they're looking at and bring something of a quasi-scout perspective as opposed to these social media jokers who just parrot buzzwords that they hear.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Buchsbaum was the original gangsta. Gosselin just used his networks for one mock, he didn’t study players himself.
That's what I hated about the Gosselin worship. He couldn't evaluate anything himself, he just got GMs to talk to him. He was a reporter, not a scout. But he was happy to let everyone think he was grading these guys himself.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yea he's the godfather of the entire draft cottage industry that exists today and actually pored over film like a scout and obsessed to the point of driving himself to death basically. Most NFL scouts live very lonely, isolated lives out on the road for probably about 7 months out of the year but Buchsbaum isolated himself like that and obsessed over it purely because he loved it, not because it was a job necessarily.

These other guys nowadays are just cheap imitations, although I do think guys like Brugler understand what they're looking at and bring something of a quasi-scout perspective as opposed to these social media jokers who just parrot buzzwords that they hear.
Kiper in particular has fallen way off.

~hears thunder in the distance~

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

He will come back from the dead and ban you... somehow.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Yea I always thought Mayock was better. He nailed some prominent evaluations like Darren McFadden not being as good as the general consensus and I believe ranking Earl Thomas over Eric Berry, or at least about equal when Berry was considered a generational type safety prospect and Thomas was just kind of a mid/late 1st from what I remember.

He embarrassed himself with the Raiders because I think he basically got too high on his own supply, going overboard with the "hard work, work ethic, loves football, gritty" bullshit, and that's what led to completely ridiculous picks like Clelin Ferrell at 4 and Alex Leatherwood at 17 or whatever, but I'd still listen to him over Kiper honestly.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And Jeremiah is legit also.

Was a legit scout and turned down an offer a year or two ago to work under Joe Douglas with the Jets because he knows the grind isn't really worth it.

data

Forbes #1
Yea I always thought Mayock was better. He nailed some prominent evaluations like Darren McFadden not being as good as the general consensus and I believe ranking Earl Thomas over Eric Berry, or at least about equal when Berry was considered a generational type safety prospect and Thomas was just kind of a mid/late 1st from what I remember.

He embarrassed himself with the Raiders because I think he basically got too high on his own supply, going overboard with the "hard work, work ethic, loves football, gritty" bullshit, and that's what led to completely ridiculous picks like Clelin Ferrell at 4 and Alex Leatherwood at 17 or whatever, but I'd still listen to him over Kiper honestly.
I remember Nolan Nawrocki taking all sorts of heatfor calling Cam Newton a camera-posturing diva

Top Bottom