2022 Season | Week 6 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Eagles | 10/16/2022

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Sure the Eagles may try it again, but where are the other QBs on the Cowboys remaining schedule who offer the kind of run threat that Hurts does? Aside from the December Eagles game, Daniel Jones is the most mobile QB remaining on the schedule. And the Cowboys literally slapped his bitch ass to sleep last year when he tried running on Quinn's D.

Bottom line, this is a package very few teams are capable of executing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That play-design is pretty simple, it's just that it caught us offguard, particularly because we run so much man coverage.

The solution is also pretty simple, a bit more zone (which both Quinn and McCarthy alluded to after the game) and/or have a dedicated "overhang" type defender (probably one of our box safeties) who is reading that WR action, which is a pretty basic read since the WR/target in the passing game is going to come running across the formation moving in the opposite direction of where the RB would generally be running on the zone read.

In this case the RB is lined up to the QB's right, and generally moving towards the left, while the WR is coming frm the left, running to the right.

It's simple and I'm pretty certain Quinn already has it figured out as we speak. The key thing will be anticipating/scheming around wrinkles to this concept the Eagles might build in (i.e. a deep post moving from left side of the field to the right to create a high/low concept).

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That play-design is pretty simple, it's just that it caught us offguard, particularly because we run so much man coverage.

The solution is also pretty simple, a bit more zone (which both Quinn and McCarthy alluded to after the game) and/or have a dedicated "overhang" type defender (probably one of our box safeties) who is reading that WR action, which is a pretty basic read since the WR/target in the passing game is going to come running across the formation moving in the opposite direction of where the RB would generally be running on the zone read.

In this case the RB is lined up to the QB's right, and generally moving towards the left, while the WR is coming frm the left, running to the right.

It's simple and I'm pretty certain Quinn already has it figured out as we speak. The key thing will be anticipating/scheming around wrinkles to this concept the Eagles might build in (i.e. a deep post moving from left side of the field to the right to create a high/low concept).
I love this board so much.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I love this board so much.
Thanks, and if you stop and think about it, Hurts only had about 150 yards passing. About half of that came on simple 7-8 yard slants plus these two RPO's with Brown coming across the formation.

Their passing game is simplistic and built around the RPO stuff and giving Hurts simple reads with screens and such, with a few 50/50 shots to their talented WR's mixed in when it's clearly man downfield.

This stuff works against lesser talented teams and especially when you get a lead, which they've had basically all year, but if we can build a lead and they aren't able to average about 5 YPC they're going to be fucked unless they pull a completely different/re-tooled passing game out of their ass.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If it is so easy to figure out then why didn't Quinn adjust in the game?
Because they ran the play twice in a matter of like 12 plays and we generally play mostly man coverage, you can't adjust on the fly that quickly within a matter of minutes.

And the defense played much better after halftime, that's not a coincidence.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sure, one drive in a half, it's the NFL and we were playing a good team on the road.
I agree with your take. My issue is when it occurred and the circumstances surrounding. We rallied to within 3 points after being down 20. We had garnered the momentum, and the upset was waiting to be had. The mojo moment if you will. One stop was all that was needed. And yet…..

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree with your take. My issue is when it occurred and the circumstances surrounding. We rallied to within 3 points after being down 20. We had garnered the momentum, and the upset was waiting to be had. The mojo moment if you will. One stop was all that was needed. And yet…..
Yea it was a disappointing drive for sure but it's not enough for me to lose faith in the defense or anything like that, especially since it took two very narrow third down conversions to keep the drive alive.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom