2022 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This tweet has to be for parody. THAT'S the play that shows Kellen Moore's "play design mojo"? :lol

It's a basic fake pitch bootleg. Every offensive coach in the league probably has that very same play in their playbook.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think he'll put up decent numbers early mostly because he's going to be force fed into a starting role out of necessity.

Maybe.

But in 2018, Gallup started his first 5 games:

1 rec, 9 yards
1 rec, 5 yards
1 rec, 17 yards
2 rec, 45 yards
1 rec, 6 yards

On a team that was pretty desperate for good receivers.

On the other hand, Lamb started out much better than that (on a team that already had good receiving options).

Maybe Tolbert will be pretty good out of the gate and obviously he's his own guy so comparisons are inherently unfair to some extent. That said, I'm guessing he's closer to Gallup than Lamb.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Maybe.

But in 2018, Gallup started his first 5 games:

1 rec, 9 yards
1 rec, 5 yards
1 rec, 17 yards
2 rec, 45 yards
1 rec, 6 yards

On a team that was pretty desperate for good receivers.

On the other hand, Lamb started out much better than that (on a team that already had good receiving options).

Maybe Tolbert will be pretty good out of the gate and obviously he's his own guy so comparisons are inherently unfair to some extent. That said, I'm guessing he's closer to Gallup than Lamb.
But those early Gallup games were before the arrival of Amari Cooper. I'd have to go back and check the highlights but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't draw the #1 CB most weeks.

Tolbert has the benefit of having Lamb across from him drawing most of the attention.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But those early Gallup games were before the arrival of Amari Cooper. I'd have to go back and check the highlights but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't draw the #1 CB most weeks.

Tolbert has the benefit of having Lamb across from him drawing most of the attention.

True he'll benefit from Lamb just like Lamb benefitted from Cooper. I'd be really surprised if Gallup was drawing number 1 CBs out of the gate though. My guess is they would have covered Hurns or Austin.

p1_

DCC 4Life
True he'll benefit from Lamb just like Lamb benefitted from Cooper. I'd be really surprised if Gallup was drawing number 1 CBs out of the gate though. My guess is they would have covered Hurns or Austin.
I know y'all might have forgotten, but we had the great Noah Brown then too. What a WR room that was prior to Coop's arrival!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This WR situation perfectly exemplifies the lack of urgency and how the possibility of losing their job is completely unfathomable to this front office.

Like, long term a WR corps built around Lamb/Gallup/Tolbert with a few other mid-round types mixed in should be very solid. But depending on how long Gallup is out it's going to be a shit show early in the year with Tolbert just getting his feet wet, and their solution to this is...James Washington.

Hopefully Gallup only misses a game or two as there have been rumors that he'll be back sometime in September, but if that timeline gets pushed a bit and he misses 4 games, and let's say he takes a few more games to ramp back up to something near 100%, that's damn near half the season where you're trying to win games with Lamb, a rookie and not much else at WR.

Just complete indifference to short-term impact because nobody's ass is actually on the line.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It is strange that in a time when the rest of the league is placing a higher value on WRs than ever -- bigger contracts and higher draft picks -- this brain trust is going the exact opposite direction.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It is strange that in a time when the rest of the league is placing a higher value on WRs than ever -- bigger contracts and higher draft picks -- this brain trust is going the exact opposite direction.
Innovative!

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I actually don't mind it because I think it's a fad based on the two Super Bowl teams building their offenses around WR's (Chase/Kupp), although neither of those teams were juggernauts and I honestly think it was just a bit of a fluke.

There's no way that 5-6 of the top 10-12 highest paid non-QB's should be WR's.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You could say they are ahead of the trend. They got rid of their expensive WR, just like the Chiefs and Packers did.

1bigfan13

Staff member
What's the big deal?

Not like anybody has to worry about losing their jobs, or you know, doing everything they can to build the best roster possible.
If the fans ever revolted and the heat got turned up on them like in the early 2000s, I wouldn't be surprised to see them tray to make McClay out as the scapegoat.

As an aside, I was reading Sturm's latest mailbag and he actually called Jerry the worst GM in football. I was very shocked to read that. Sturm's pretty level-headed and measured with his comments and analysis, so that stuck out to me.

Last edited:

Spaulding

DCC 4Life
Just complete indifference to short-term impact because nobody's ass is actually on the line.
The most amazing thing about this is that the Jones Brain Trust seemingly can't learn from mistakes or even through osmosis from the sheer amount of time spent LARPing as an NFL front office. If I pretended to be a lumberjack I would be pretty bad at it since I've never done it, but after 30 years I would pick a few things up and be able to cut down a tree. Not so with the Jones family.

Sometimes I think it wasn't Jerry who sold his soul to the devil for that last SB win over the Steelers. It was the fandom of the Cowboys collectively who sold our souls, and we've been in football hell ever since as payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom