2022 OTAs, Camps and Training Camp Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So only one week til we get to hear these asshat media types bragging about wearing a jacket to 63-degree practices. Great.

(But really, I'm ready for even some supersoft, terrified-of-injury practice football.)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I dunno, you boys.

Tyler Smith is damn sure putting in the work.

Maybe it is just because of the Tweets or whatever, but I have not seen a Cowboys pick this active prior to their first training camp.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I dunno, you boys.

Maybe it is just because of the Tweets or whatever, but I have not seen a Cowboys pick this active prior to their first training camp.
He's going to be good. And I think there's a decent chance he's really really good.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I dunno, you boys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's more of a footwork drill so that he can train his body to move in certain patterns while keeping his hands inside without reverting to lunging and reaching with his arms to attempt to win a rep.

But yes, the poor hand placement/exposing his chest was the main reason he racked up so many penalties. The second was overaggressiveness, which isn't as big of an issue.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It's more of a footwork drill so that he can train his body to move in certain patterns while keeping his hands inside without reverting to lunging and reaching with his arms to attempt to win a rep.

But yes, the poor hand placement/exposing his chest was the main reason he racked up so many penalties. The second was overaggressiveness, which isn't as big of an issue.
could you please provide more insight in your next post, please? :lol

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Even aside from the physical drills, the most important part is going to the camp/meetings and being in the same room with the best in the league, all sharing their wisdom on what it takes to make it in this league. That's huge for any young person in really any field. And it's great he didn't wait for his second or third year to do it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If he doesn't put it all together this this year, he needs to turn in that #88 and enter year 4 with a new number.
are you concerned he cant take the mantle?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Even aside from the physical drills, the most important part is going to the camp/meetings and being in the same room with the best in the league, all sharing their wisdom on what it takes to make it in this league. That's huge for any young person in really any field. And it's great he didn't wait for his second or third year to do it.
Yea, my main concern based on what you saw out of him in college was laziness and not really caring to refine his technique. Because the measurables are there, the ability is there pretty consistently on tape when his technique is solid, but he'd often revert and make amateur mistakes, which is understandable given his age and inexperience.

But the fact that he's working so hard in the offseason, the fact that he immediately knew what his weaknesses were when asked in the days following the draft, and of course the fact that he'll be able to learn from Tyron (in terms of playing LT) and Martin (in terms of playing OG) all make me very confident that he's going to be at least a borderline Pro Bowl OG.

Remember that Tyron primarily played RT at USC and had to transition to LT after playing RT for a year or two in the NFL, so he's particularly equipped to help Tyler make the jump.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea, my main concern based on what you saw out of him in college was laziness and not really caring to refine his technique. Because the measurables are there, the ability is there pretty consistently on tape when his technique is solid, but he'd often revert and make amateur mistakes, which is understandable given his age and inexperience.

But the fact that he's working so hard in the offseason, the fact that he immediately knew what his weaknesses were when asked in the days following the draft, and of course the fact that he'll be able to learn from Tyron (in terms of playing LT) and Martin (in terms of playing OG) all make me very confident that he's going to be at least a borderline Pro Bowl OG.
Imagine if Hill had taken this approach.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, he'd have been a pretty solid starter. He doesn't have anywhere near the physical talent that Smith has but he definitely would've been a reliable starting player.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
are you concerned he cant take the mantle?
it looked like he pretty much sleepwalked through the second half of the season last year. He, and the offense as a whole, were a massive disappointment.

It's even more concerning when you see other young WRs with 3 or fewer years of experience who have come in and are already consistently playing at a high level.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea, he'd have been a pretty solid starter. He doesn't have anywhere near the physical talent that Smith has but he definitely would've been a reliable starting player.
instead, he's on the outside looking in.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Trysten Hill? I think he never had the maturity, work ethic, attitude, etc to do it. Those things are basically inborn, almost as much as physical ability.

As @Simpleton said, those are basically the two components to success, attitude/desire and physical talent. It's way early but Smith seems to have both. (You need a little luck to avoid serious injury, too.)

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom