2022 NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is where things get interesting.

Njoku has now set the bar for Schultz, should we be looking at a long term deal.

Honestly, I am going all Goof Son and going cheap if that is what he would cost.
You can't go cheap at WR and then spend that kind of money at TE on solid. It would be insane.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
On the TE topic, I forgot it in my post on the Break observations, but they acted like Ferguson didn't stand out at all and even said he had his work cut out to beat out McKeon and Sprinkle.

Now I don't believe that because he's a draft pick and those guys weren't, but the fact they'd even say that makes me wonder a little.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You can't go cheap at WR and then spend that kind of money at TE on solid. It would be insane.
If they double franchise him then let him go in 2024 it would have been the equivalent of two years 22 million, right?

That's better than Njoku's deal.

If Schultz can be productive straight-up using significantly more diverse routes than the underneath stuff, I'd consider a long term deal.

But I want to see him do it and also compare with Ferguson's development.

Personally I don't get Schultz as a big-money player, but I'm willing to accept reality if there's no better choice.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If they double franchise him then let him go in 2024 it would have been the equivalent of two years 22 million, right?

That's better than Njoku's deal.

If Schultz can be productive straight-up using significantly more diverse routes than the underneath stuff, I'd consider a long term deal.

But I want to see him do it and also compare with Ferguson's development.

Personally I don't get Schultz as a big-money player, but I'm willing to accept reality if there's no better choice.
I would hope the idea is to use up Schultz now and then go cheaper with Ferguson and probably get another next year.

You have to appreciate how much money they spent on Witten. I would be shocked if they invested a lot in Schultz.

They are buying time, which is why they courted pretty much every damn decent TE in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would hope the idea is to use up Schultz now and then go cheaper with Ferguson and probably get another next year.

You have to appreciate how much money they spent on Witten. I would be shocked if they invested a lot in Schultz.

They are buying time, which is why they courted pretty much every damn decent TE in the draft.
Yeah I don't think they view Schultz long term.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, and they can franchise Schultz a second year in a row if Ferguson and no other options pan out
Yeah I think Ferguson is the ideal replacement but the Cowboys know that it's pretty rare for a rookie TE to come into the NFL ready to be a lead dog. So you buy him time to develop by doing this. I think that was pretty obviously the Cowboys plans, especially the way they approached the draft.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom